Recalled/Assigned: Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
How about saying 'the evidence ie. production at the AHL level in the same system at the same stage of their development is similar and may favour Schroeder'.

That's my opinion anyways.
Did you read the rest of my post? I mentioned that I don't think that's totally fair because Hodgson the Hodgson that played in the AHL the season before and the Hodgson that showed up at training camp were completely different players. I have no doubt that if the Hodgson who played at the AHL (before the Roberts training) got a shot, he would not be close to a 40 point player.

arsmaster*

Did you read the rest of my post? I mentioned that I don't think that's totally fair because Hodgson the Hodgson that played in the AHL the season before and the Hodgson that showed up at training camp were completely different players. I have no doubt that if the Hodgson who played at the AHL (before the Roberts training) got a shot, he would not be close to a 40 point player.

I did read it, but I don't agree.

Hodgson was a top prospect before going to see Gary Roberts and was after. I am not willing to attribute his success to Gary Roberts alone.

My reasoning for this, is he still looks slow and out of shape and has trained with him for 2 summers now.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Even this year, Schroeder scored more goals in the AHL than Hodgson did while being (technically) a year younger. Less assists but his team also scored like 30 less goals. And all but 2 of Hodgson's goals came on the man advantage while Schroeder scored all but 1 of his at ES.

I think at the very worst Schroeder comes out even if we're going to compare their AHL career trajectories. Now he has the chance to prove he's as good or better in the NHL. Let's hope he does.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^It's definitely important to keep in mind the defensive style that the Wolves play when viewing our offensive guys' stats. In a more free wheeling system, guys like Schroeder and Kassian may well have put up some more numbers.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
^It's definitely important to keep in mind the defensive style that the Wolves play when viewing our offensive guys' stats. In a more free wheeling system, guys like Schroeder and Kassian may well have put up some more numbers.

I completely agree with this. In fact I think this has, for all intents and purposes, been proven already.

Surely people don't think it is merely coincidence that Kassian puts up 1 ppg in buffalo's ahl system, then drops to .7 ppg in our ahl system? While at the same time, Hodgson goes from .6 ppg in our ahl system to 1 ppg in Buffalo's ahl system?

This 'double switch' happened for both players in the same 2-year span, and it involved the same 2 teams both times. That is about as close to a controlled experiment as you can get in sports. It's like Gillis wanted to prove that the system does affect player performance.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
How do people feel Schroeder did tonight? He played his overtime shift pretty well- would have been better if Hamhuis didn't miss his pass though.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
I really liked what I saw from him tonight, good compete level and didn't have any big defensive breakdowns. He's a lot more physical than Ebett, he took the body consistently tonight.

I don't think he had much chemistry with his linemates tonight but i think he's only going to improve. Solid debut imo.

Btw he's fast!

John Bender*

I liked a lot of players games tonight. Time for a scrambly disjointed post:

I thought Schroeder was ok, but I noticed his speed and think it might be good if they take a nice long look at him here. I thought Raymond had a great game and was buzzing all over the ice.

Most of the forwards had good games. Even Volpatti was crushing guys in the limited time he got.

I thought Weise was horrible again - hands of stone. I really wish they'd move on from him. He is not physical enough to be an imposing 4th liner and he does not make smart plays. I thought Malhotra fought the puck too - I hope he comes around, such a likeable guy.

Defensively, I thought Hamhuis was great. Garrison had a few problems as did Bieksa. Edler - wtf? Guy could not handle the puck at all tonight. Tanev...loved his game.

Also.............Schneider was exceptional. Made two all world pad saves. Looks like he is back. I hope they leave him in and let him get some reps.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009
I really liked what I saw from him tonight, good compete level and didn't have any big defensive breakdowns. He's a lot more physical than Ebett, he took the body consistently tonight.

I don't think he had much chemistry with his linemates tonight but i think he's only going to improve. Solid debut imo.

Btw he's fast!

As long as he plays well defensively and creates chances he should stay on the team.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I did read it, but I don't agree.

Hodgson was a top prospect before going to see Gary Roberts and was after. I am not willing to attribute his success to Gary Roberts alone.

My reasoning for this, is he still looks slow and out of shape and has trained with him for 2 summers now.
I agree that he is still a weak skater, but in my opinion, he was like a snail before that. I would not have expected him to make the NHL last season without the Roberts training.

I think it was still a dramatic improvement, despite there still being huge flaws to his game.

John Bender*

I agree that he is still a weak skater, but in my opinion, he was like a snail before that. I would not have expected him to make the NHL last season without the Roberts training.

I think it was still a dramatic improvement, despite there still being huge flaws to his game.

Hodgson is an awkward looking player not matter how you slice it. It's his all star hands and hockey sense that gives him and edge.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
He looked like he was roughed up pretty badly in that one offensive shift in the third (took a whole bunch of awkward/vulnerable hits and individually tenatively skated to the bench while we were still generating chances.

Any word on if he's okay?

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Schroeder quietly played a fantastic game today. Seems to be a very cerebral player who surprised me with his play along the boards. The fact that AV trusted him enough to put him out in overtime tells me that they have a lot of faith in the kid. Even though it's only been one game, he looks miles better than Hodgson defensively.

Enjoy Chicago, Ebbett. Schroeder will be hanging around here for a while.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
He looked like he was roughed up pretty badly in that one offensive shift in the third (took a whole bunch of awkward/vulnerable hits and individually tenatively skated to the bench while we were still generating chances.

Any word on if he's okay?

Was out in the OT, so I would think he's OK...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was very impressed with his attempt at physicality-- He was throwing his entire body into guys and getting into lanes knowing full well he'd be run over but still be able to slow the guy down.

Outside99*

Its only 1 game but to me, Schroeder looked better than Ebbett and being only 22, has more upside - he's only going to get better. The thing that gives confidence is he seems to know what to do in different situations which I'm sure AV is going to like.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Even in the AHL, i've found Schroeder goes to the bench rather slowly. Raises his arm as a signal and then coasts to the bench. Not judging him, but this is what i've seen. I don't think he is injured.

I personally think he played the most physical game i've seen him play ever. He's never really cowered from physical play, but tonight, he was looking for it and went to throw 3 hits from what i could see. I really liked that. Hope AV recognizes it too.

arsmaster*

Felt Schroeder was knocked down a few more times tonight than you a usually see in the AHL.

Still liked his a game a lot for a jittery first NHL game coming off a lockout.
Competed hard, made good plays (outside penalty in offensive zone), poised play on the PP.

Looking forward to seeing him in the next game.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Schroeder HAS to bring that physical edge, every single night, or he will vanish from this league. At one point he overpowered Bouwmeester for the puck in the Flames corner, which was exceptional.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Even in the AHL, i've found Schroeder goes to the bench rather slowly. Raises his arm as a signal and then coasts to the bench. Not judging him, but this is what i've seen. I don't think he is injured.

I personally think he played the most physical game i've seen him play ever. He's never really cowered from physical play, but tonight, he was looking for it and went to throw 3 hits from what i could see. I really liked that. Hope AV recognizes it too.

AV said in his presser that he liked JS. Didn't catch the whole thing so not sure on the specifics but yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad