Recalled/Assigned: Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
WHL 70 89 108 197

Those are Ronnings stats prior to the nhl. Sure its the WHL, but do you think schroeder would get near that in the whl while he was that age. I personally dont.

197 points in 70 games. He was a player who made his line what it was. Most top players can carry lines in lower leagues. Then all those players who carry lines goto the nhl and play with one another. If youre dependent on players in the ahl. PP or not. Then the likeliness youre going to be a player who nets 869 pts in 1137 games, is very slim.

Youre going to be REAL disappointed, you actually believe Schroeder is going to be this all star dont you

When I say hes no ronning, you start bringing up his 'pretty' good ES points :/

I understand you like him but youre reaching now, comparing him to players like that

Based on this, Ryan Getzlaf is doomed to never be better than Cliff Ronning.

Pseudonymous*

If he has what it takes then he'll impress even in those limited minutes. Just like Kassian did on the Ebbett line which was also given 4th line ice-time.

Didn't say anything about Ronning, did I? Just quoted your post to continue the conversation. But if you want me to weigh in on those stats. It was a very different time. You might remember a certain Taylor Hall who never even made it in the NHL after having 142 points at that level. WHL was VERY high-scoring back then.

Considering anytime anybody has a more realistic outlook on schroeder, you usually respond with his ES points so if im saying hes no ronning and you bring up his pretty decent ES ppg pace, yeah im going to assume youre comparing the two.

and yeah youre probably right about it being more high scoring. and i guess its a little harder to compare the leagues given that.

Pseudonymous*

Based on this, Ryan Getzlaf is doomed to never be better than Cliff Ronning.

You serious? Thats your response. :laugh: I think people just look for arguments that aren't there

Almost all small players who really excel in the nhl dominate their lower leagues. This is fact. Tiranis thinks schroeder has looked as good as all those other past small nhl players to excel in the nhl. i do not. i think he'll be good and a decent 20 goal 2-3rd liner. I think he has much higher expectations

Considering the fact I know he'll respond no matter what i say, i could say hes no martin st louis and i know i got about 5 minutes until i have to hear from him about his ES ppg pace .. which goes to show me he has VERY high expectations ;)

everyone has their own assessments of players though. only time will tell

Last edited by a moderator:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hmmm imagine that the praise heaped on Schroeder by AV and Gillis did mean they were going to call him right back up after a bit of further evaluation.

Land O Lakes

Jan 8, 2013
Schroeder's stats would be much more inflated if he played in the CHL. He potted 44 points as an accelerated freshman in the toughest conference in NCAA hockey (Bjugstad hasn't hit that mark yet and he's a junior), I think he would've faired alright. Instead he stuck it out another season with one of the worst Gopher teams in the past 20 years, broke the WJ points record for Americans, and has stuck it out in the AHL ever since. Schroeder is a set up man plain and simple. If he has a finisher, he generates offense. If he doesn't, his passes fumble over the tape of Billy Sweatt type players and he falls to a .5 PPG player. It's always been the case and always will be the case. He's a Bouchard with grit, which could be an interesting experiment in today's NHL.

craigcaulks*

If he has what it takes then he'll impress even in those limited minutes. Just like Kassian did on the Ebbett line which was also given 4th line ice-time.

Didn't say anything about Ronning, did I? Just quoted your post to continue the conversation about his NHL potential. But if you want me to weigh in on those stats. It was a very different time. You might remember a certain Taylor Hall who never even made it in the NHL after having 142 points at that level. WHL was VERY high-scoring back then.

The numbers aside, Ronning led the WHL in scoring with Noonan at his side. And he did it in Gretzky like fashion.

I don't remember a certain Taylor Hall actually. I miss those days, sniff.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You serious? Thats your response. :laugh: I think people just look for arguments that aren't there

Almost all small players who really excel in the nhl dominate their lower leagues. This is fact. Tiranis thinks schroeder has looked as good as all those other past small nhl players to excel in the nhl. i do not. i think he'll be good and a decent 20 goal 2-3rd liner. I think he has much higher expectations

Considering the fact I know he'll respond no matter what i say, i could say hes no martin st louis and i know i got about 5 minutes until i have to hear from him about his ES ppg pace .. which goes to show me he has VERY high expectations ;)

everyone has their own assessments of players though. only time will tell

Yes I'm serious. If you're serious about comparing two players from completely different eras and their stats from two completely different leagues.

Here's something closer: At the same age Gionta put up 9 goals in 37 games in the AHL. This year Schroeder has put up 9 goals in 30 games.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Schroeder's stats would be much more inflated if he played in the CHL. He potted 44 points as an accelerated freshman in the toughest conference in NCAA hockey (Bjugstad hasn't hit that mark yet and he's a junior), I think he would've faired alright. Instead he stuck it out another season with one of the worst Gopher teams in the past 20 years, broke the WJ points record for Americans, and has stuck it out in the AHL ever since. Schroeder is a set up man plain and simple. If he has a finisher, he generates offense. If he doesn't, his passes fumble over the tape of Billy Sweatt type players and he falls to a .5 PPG player. It's always been the case and always will be the case. He's a Bouchard with grit, which could be an interesting experiment in today's NHL.

This. Thank you for saying that. One of his faults is that he can still be too selfless at times when he should be using his (very good) wrist shot.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not to mention Schroeder played a great WJC when he was barely 17, then came back and had 11 pts in 6 games and even then Bob McKenzie said when he was drafted he could have done better in that tournament.

He has talent, I think he's going to be a good NHLer.

Outside99*

Schroeder is deserving but he's also a rookie with zero NHL experience. I don't even know why posters are debating so much as we'll find out soon enough how NHL ready he is.

One thing for sure, those hyping this player aren't doing him any favors. He's a rookie and in all likelihood will struggle, as most do.

Is it better to develop a player like Schroeder than dress Ebbett, though? Absolutely. But don't expect too much.

Land O Lakes

Jan 8, 2013
Schroeder is deserving but he's also a rookie with zero NHL experience. I don't even know why posters are debating so much as we'll find out soon enough how NHL ready he is.

One thing for sure, those hyping this player aren't doing him any favors. He's a rookie and in all likelihood will struggle, as most do.

Is it better to develop a player like Schroeder than dress Ebbett, though? Absolutely. But don't expect too much.
I don't think anyone's saying he'll come running out the gates, but more that he's a prospect with loads of potential under the right circumstances.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

Schroeder is better prepared than most prospects. The team wants to bring prospects along slowly but had to rush Hodgson to the NHL because of a team need. Kassian was kind of the same deal. Schroeder is the first guy to come along slowly like they've talked about. He's ready to play at this level imo.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Schroeder is better prepared than most prospects. The team wants to bring prospects along slowly but had to rush Hodgson to the NHL because of a team need. Kassian was kind of the same deal. Schroeder is the first guy to come along slowly like they've talked about. He's ready to play at this level imo.

I don't know if Kassian was really rushed. I guess being in the NHL last year, but the lockout came at a good time to give him some more time in the AHL. Other than that, they're both the same age.

I agree about Hodgson though, he could've used another AHL year due to being set back by those back injuries. It would've improved his overall game.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Schroeder need skilled players playing with him not some plug that he had playing with in the AHL someone like KAssasin and jensen would help him out........I wish we can see that line sometime......has WCE all over it

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I don't know if Kassian was really rushed. I guess being in the NHL last year, but the lockout came at a good time to give him some more time in the AHL. Other than that, they're both the same age.

I agree about Hodgson though, he could've used another AHL year due to being set back by those back injuries. It would've improved his overall game.

Kassian wasn't ready to play in the NHL last year imo. He wasn't in nearly good enough shape to keep up. I think the team made the right move with him so they could keep a close eye on him and have the pro's on the big club show him the way.

It's actually the 2011 season that I think the Canucks should have left Hodgson in the AHL. Had he not been needed to play 4th line duty he could have played big minutes in the A and rounded out his game a little more for last season.

Schroeder is a better player right now that Hodgson was this time last season imo. If Schroeder can get those same minutes with good players, I think he'll play well.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Kassian wasn't ready to play in the NHL last year imo. He wasn't in nearly good enough shape to keep up. I think the team made the right move with him so they could keep a close eye on him and have the pro's on the big club show him the way.

It's actually the 2011 season that I think the Canucks should have left Hodgson in the AHL. Had he not been needed to play 4th line duty he could have played big minutes in the A and rounded out his game a little more for last season.

Schroeder is a better player right now that Hodgson was this time last season imo. If Schroeder can get those same minutes with good players, I think he'll play well.
I think it's very difficult to make a statement like that, personally.

If we're talking about AHL success up to this point, sure, but by all accounts, Hodgson improved dramatically over that offseason and looked the part in preseason (from my perspective). In my mind, it's impossible to tell if Schroeder is the better player at this point without getting a more extensive look at a preseason of some sort. You can only compare Schroeder's AHL play vs. Hodgson's preseason, which are two completely different things.

I'm just waiting to see how he plays tomorrow and crossing my fingers.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
If the rumours that Hodgson wanted out after the Stanley Cup Final were true, then it seems that time would have been running out for the Canucks to deal him before it got ugly. Still think he would have been become a great player here, had he been willing to learn and develop all areas of his game under the direction of Hank, Kes and Manny. But his dad made sure that was not to be...

arsmaster*

I think it's very difficult to make a statement like that, personally.

If we're talking about AHL success up to this point, sure, but by all accounts, Hodgson improved dramatically over that offseason and looked the part in preseason (from my perspective). In my mind, it's impossible to tell if Schroeder is the better player at this point without getting a more extensive look at a preseason of some sort. You can only compare Schroeder's AHL play vs. Hodgson's preseason, which are two completely different things.

I'm just waiting to see how he plays tomorrow and crossing my fingers.

How about saying 'the evidence ie. production at the AHL level in the same system at the same stage of their development is similar and may favour Schroeder'.

That's my opinion anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad