Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Melchiori cost per point: ∞ :laugh:

Stuart's pretty close to the bottom as well. $875,000. 738th out of 756

Stempniak He whose name shall not be mentioned is right there with a bunch of top players on first contracts. :laugh: Both above and below him are long lists of players 23 and under, him at 33. :laugh:

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
It's stupid to offer less than max term.

This Kid is a gem.
He wants to be a superstar he has the drive and talent, and will put in the work to do it. Those are rare enough.

Add to all that,
He wants the Jets to be his team, his legacy, his home.
Get the deal done.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Dreger on H&L a couple days ago said Scheifele's next contract will start with a 6. I wouldn't argue with that.

Wonder if Dreger has heard anything about the negotiations, or just a guess. But $6+ mill seems to be the market for Scheifele.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I'd ante up big for Scheifele and smile as I do it. He's our #1. He will be our #1.

8 years $50,000,000. Get'r done, Chevy. :)

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
We drafted this kid.....watched him develop. His body has caught up with his brain. His intangibles are off the charts. You lock up guys like this - a cornerstone moving forward.

Pay the going rate...no niggling over a few hundred large, or whatever....and just get this done

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
We drafted this kid.....watched him develop. His body has caught up with his brain. His intangibles are off the charts. You lock up guys like this - a cornerstone moving forward.

Pay the going rate...no niggling over a few hundred large, or whatever....and just get this done

I think the arguing will be over term. The Jets will want 8. Scheif camp will want 6.

Maybe they settle at 7?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think the arguing will be over term. The Jets will want 8. Scheif camp will want 6.

Maybe they settle at 7?

Think Scheif and his agent will want 8 as well. Maximize guaranteed money is usually the goal for player and rep. The negotiation will be over how much Scheifele would be worth in his UFA years.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Think Scheif and his agent will want 8 as well. Maximize guaranteed money is usually the goal for player and rep. The negotiation will be over how much Scheifele would be worth in his UFA years.

Agents would actually prefer 5 years. That way their client is younger when the next one (UFA) is due. 6 years has become pretty standard for these after ELC contracts for a reason.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Agents would actually prefer 5 years. That way their client is younger when the next one (UFA) is due. 6 years has become pretty standard for these after ELC contracts for a reason.

I wanted to make the same point, but he does have a point with the "how much Scheif's worth in his UFA years". Why not, if he and his agent feel they get fair compensation for the UFA year(s) + being older when its up the next time. Some might prefer getting a part of the pay for the expensive years in the end of the contract to be pulverized onto the earlier ones and get it a bit beforehand.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I wanted to make the same point, but he does have a point with the "how much Scheif's worth in his UFA years". Why not, if he and his agent feel they get fair compensation for the UFA year(s) + being older when its up the next time. Some might prefer getting a part of the pay for the expensive years in the end of the contract to be pulverized onto the earlier ones and get it a bit beforehand.

I think there's a chance Scheifele does go 8 years.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Would you guys do 8x7? To me that seems a bit high, but it could be a possibility.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Would you guys do 8x7? To me that seems a bit high, but it could be a possibility.

If your starting point is Barkov's deal then the Jets would be paying more than $10M for each of those extra two years.

I think that is too much.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If your starting point is Barkov's deal then the Jets would be paying more than $10M for each of those extra two years.

I think that is too much.

Is it gonna be much less when the negotiations for a new contract begin after six years? After eight it probably will be, if you make long-term.

I saw someone hazarding to guess it would go 10+ when Barkov's deal is up for renewal at the age of 26. The six years' length were along Barkov's terms, I think the team was trying for eight.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6 year deal.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yea I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6 year deal.

I think the Jets will try for 8. They will sweeten the pot a bit for 8. I think Scheifele will want 8. I think his agent will want 6 and demand a premium for those last 2 years that will be just too much. So it will depend on where they can compromise. Nothing from 6-8 will be a surprise.

I think the numbers they are talking about will be something like;
6x5.5
7x5.75
8x6
Chevy will offer an extra 1-2 mil if necessary to get 8. That would push it up to 6.25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad