Salary Cap: Scheifele new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the Jets will try for 8. They will sweeten the pot a bit for 8. I think Scheifele will want 8. I think his agent will want 6 and demand a premium for those last 2 years that will be just too much. So it will depend on where they can compromise. Nothing from 6-8 will be a surprise.

I think the numbers they are talking about will be something like;
6x5.5
7x5.75
8x6
Chevy will offer an extra 1-2 mil if necessary to get 8. That would push it up to 6.25.

If the GM is still willing to add then the agent isn't doing his job if he leaves money on the table. Scheif is the type of player the agent likely tells I'll call you when its done. But agree 8 years and $6.25 AAV sounds fair all the way around.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the GM is still willing to add then the agent isn't doing his job if he leaves money on the table. Scheif is the type of player the agent likely tells I'll call you when its done. But agree 8 years and $6.25 AAV sounds fair all the way around.

I really have no idea what you are talking about when you talk about leaving money on the table. But it sounds like we are close enough to agreement.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Scheifele seems very excited about the Jets good young players, prospects and the #2 pick. Clearly, he's on board with building on the youth, and sees real possibility of future success in Winnipeg. Talks like he expects to be in Winnipeg for some time.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
One step at a time, he is not ready yet, let him continue to gain confidence and find his game. It WILL be Wheeler.

Nice hair though.

I'm not convinced that they'll pin the 'C' on Wheeler. The rationale is that Wheeler is my pick and True North does very little that agrees with my take on things.

m.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Following a discussion on the future of Jacob Trouba, on how the other negotiation that Winnipeg Jets’ fans will be keeping an eye on is Mark Scheifele, and how the Scheifele contract may be at the top of general manager Kevin Chevelayoff’s priority list right now:

“Yeah, look – the beauty of the restricted free agents is you own their rights. So as much as the process can turn gnarly from time to time, at the end of the day the club still has the upper hand – at least on a short-term basis. That’s not to say that the players don’t have any leverage. Of course they do. But with restricted free agents, you still own their rights. Both of those players are impactful players, and I’m sure Winnipeg would love to have both of them in their future.

“Mark Scheifele, without question, is going to have a long future with the Winnipeg Jets. I know the agent, or at least I was told, the agent met with the Winnipeg Jets, I think in Buffalo during the Combine. So there’s an ongoing back and forth. But I think that applies to both sides. It’s an ongoing negotiation. I don’t have the information to suggest that there’s been progress made in the negotiations with Mark Scheifele, but anytime there’s a face-to-face, you know that it’s at least headed in the right direction.â€

Source: TSN 1290/Transcript: Nichols

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/dreger-scheifeles-agent-jets-met-recently/

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I may be in the minority, but I see Mark's contract negotiation as more difficult than Jacob's. Comps are all there for Jacob. Mark's comps are a lot more difficult (varied).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I may be in the minority, but I see Mark's contract negotiation as more difficult than Jacob's. Comps are all there for Jacob. Mark's comps are a lot more difficult (varied).

Barkov seems like the most relevant comp

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Following a discussion on the future of Jacob Trouba, on how the other negotiation that Winnipeg Jets’ fans will be keeping an eye on is Mark Scheifele, and how the Scheifele contract may be at the top of general manager Kevin Chevelayoff’s priority list right now:

“Yeah, look – the beauty of the restricted free agents is you own their rights. So as much as the process can turn gnarly from time to time, at the end of the day the club still has the upper hand – at least on a short-term basis. That’s not to say that the players don’t have any leverage. Of course they do. But with restricted free agents, you still own their rights. Both of those players are impactful players, and I’m sure Winnipeg would love to have both of them in their future.

“Mark Scheifele, without question, is going to have a long future with the Winnipeg Jets. I know the agent, or at least I was told, the agent met with the Winnipeg Jets, I think in Buffalo during the Combine. So there’s an ongoing back and forth. But I think that applies to both sides. It’s an ongoing negotiation. I don’t have the information to suggest that there’s been progress made in the negotiations with Mark Scheifele, but anytime there’s a face-to-face, you know that it’s at least headed in the right direction.â€

Source: TSN 1290/Transcript: Nichols

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/dreger-scheifeles-agent-jets-met-recently/

You can tell how much the organization values Scheifele more than Trouba right now with the way he addresses that. I hope Scheif is a long-time Jet with no fall out. It would be great as a story (the first pick of 2.0 being a lifer and supporter of the team) and just for the fact that he could be our best player for a long long time.

I hope Trouba can learn from Mark's dedication to the club/training/off season and join him.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I say you sign Scheifele and Trouba to matching 8 year deals at 6 mil per and call it a day.With us picking Laine there is no other first line centres in the near future without a trade and as for the D Enstrom will be gone soon enough one way or another and Myers could be moved if needed.Buff,Trouba and Morrisey will be our big three and we will have to fill 2 spots with some possibly over paid 5/6 Dman on short term contracts around 3 mil/yr.I think in the long term you can only afford to have 3 high paid Dman,min of 1 ELC and couple of vets and you have to keep it under 25mil min.With our young high end prospects we have a 2-3 grace period before this becomes standard.It will be a lot like the Chicago mould minus the 2 huge salaries which will really help us with continual depth.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I say you sign Scheifele and Trouba to matching 8 year deals at 6 mil per and call it a day.With us picking Laine there is no other first line centres in the near future without a trade and as for the D Enstrom will be gone soon enough one way or another and Myers could be moved if needed.Buff,Trouba and Morrisey will be our big three and we will have to fill 2 spots with some possibly over paid 5/6 Dman on short term contracts around 3 mil/yr.I think in the long term you can only afford to have 3 high paid Dman,min of 1 ELC and couple of vets and you have to keep it under 25mil min.With our young high end prospects we have a 2-3 grace period before this becomes standard.It will be a lot like the Chicago mould minus the 2 huge salaries which will really help us with continual depth.

I could actually see "matching" contracts for these two, or something close.

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
I feel they should have Scheifele and Wheeler share the "C."

Wheeler home and Scheifele away, something like that.

:help: NO! on so many levels, this is the most preposterous thing I have ever heard on HF well almost the most proposterous (see Laine trade proposals and Trouba trade proposal threads)...forget it it not even near the most..

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Jets have lots of leadership which I think is very important I just don't think they have a natural captain anymore thank god it doesn't matter. Since this is a Schiefele thread Mark may get there one day but he needs to be an A for a while first.

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Jets have lots of leadership which I think is very important I just don't think they have a natural captain anymore thank god it doesn't matter. Since this is a Schiefele thread Mark may get their one day but he needs to be an A for a while first.

:handclap::handclap:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I really don't think the Jets could have been luckier that to have Scheifele be their 1st pick. Not counting getting extremely lucky and getting a McDavid type talent, Scheifele is everything you want as an organization to build around.

Size, Skill, #1C, and maybe most importantly, high character and an unmatched work ethic.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I really don't think the Jets could have been luckier that to have Scheifele be their 1st pick. Not counting getting extremely lucky and getting a McDavid type talent, Scheifele is everything you want as an organization to build around.

Size, Skill, #1C, and maybe most importantly, high character and an unmatched work ethic.

Indeed. I wonder if we'd be saying the same thing if we had taken Sean Couturier. the Flyers don't seem to be building around Couturier the way the Jets are building around Scheifele. I guess with Giroux, there's no need for another front and center C.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
When bae is already putting in off-season training :blush::laugh::laugh:

You can't help but love this kid for how hard he trains and how seriously he takes it.

His work ethic is astounding. You can tell that he really wants to be the best, he's going to have one hell of a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad