Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Barkov

Career GP191 52G 67A 119P (.62 PPG)
15/16 GP66 28G 31A 59P (.89 PPG)

Scheifele

Career GP227 58G 87A 145P (.64 PPG)
15/16 GP71 29G 32A 61P (.86 PPG)

Lock him up on the same deal Barkov got (perfect comparison)....or give him a little more for an extra year or 2 and move on to the next player :yo:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Barkov

Career GP191 52G 67A 119P (.62 PPG)
15/16 GP66 28G 31A 59P (.89 PPG)

Scheifele

Career GP227 58G 87A 145P (.64 PPG)
15/16 GP71 29G 32A 61P (.86 PPG)

Used your post on the main board (I know, I shouldn't go there) in thread about best young cores. Poster said Barkov elite, Scheifele not. Figured this fit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Used your post on the main board (I know, I shouldn't go there) in thread about best young cores. Poster said Barkov elite, Scheifele not. Figured this fit.

You still have to allow for the age difference. When evaluating potential draft picks we note that some were almost old enough to be taken a year earlier and some are almost young enough to be taken a year later. When a player is passed over and then produces well in D+1 we take his age in to account. Barkov came into the NHL at 18, right out of the draft. Scheifele did 2 more years of junior and came into the NHL at 20. That is significant. 7-8 years from now it will have smoothed out and you can just look at career totals but not now. Barkov is still a tier above Scheifele. Scheif may make that up if he improves next year like he did last year and Barkov levels off. Big IF.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
You still have to allow for the age difference. When evaluating potential draft picks we note that some were almost old enough to be taken a year earlier and some are almost young enough to be taken a year later. When a player is passed over and then produces well in D+1 we take his age in to account. Barkov came into the NHL at 18, right out of the draft. Scheifele did 2 more years of junior and came into the NHL at 20. That is significant. 7-8 years from now it will have smoothed out and you can just look at career totals but not now. Barkov is still a tier above Scheifele. Scheif may make that up if he improves next year like he did last year and Barkov levels off. Big IF.

Yes, I'm aware of the age categories. But in terms of production, whether it is simple points as Aavco shows or advanced stats, they are currently comparable players. So I'm not entirely clear how Barkov is a "tier above" other than he achieved something similar at a younger age. At the moment, they are comparable. It's a big IF that Barkov continues as well. I agree Barkov is doing something as good sooner, no question, but I don't agree that his potential is exponentially better than Scheifele's - I think that will be situational for both players.

Didn't Barkov play the majority of the season with Huberdeau and Jagr? We know Scheifele didn't play the majority of the season with Ehlers and Wheeler. So is that a fair comparison? Wasn't Scheifele playing second line minutes behind some version of Ladd/Little/X? Stafford is a comparable with Jagr of last season? Perreault sure didn't duplicate his season of a year before and if you asked me to trade him for Huberdeau I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm not arguing that Scheifele can necessarily continue his torrid pace of the latter third of the season, that would be entirely speculative. But no more or less speculative that he CAN'T continue the pace given similar linemates to what he had for that period of time or what Barkov had for the majority of his season. To me it's like assessing Trouba on his play without acknowledging he spent the majority of his season(s) playing with Stuart. Oh, well Trouba's production is at best a second pairing defenseman and a disappointment. Without context, making statements isn't particularly helpful.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes, I'm aware of the age categories. But in terms of production, whether it is simple points as Aavco shows or advanced stats, they are currently comparable players. So I'm not entirely clear how Barkov is a "tier above" other than he achieved something similar at a younger age. At the moment, they are comparable. It's a big IF that Barkov continues as well. I agree Barkov is doing something as good sooner, no question, but I don't agree that his potential is exponentially better than Scheifele's - I think that will be situational for both players.

Didn't Barkov play the majority of the season with Huberdeau and Jagr? We know Scheifele didn't play the majority of the season with Ehlers and Wheeler. So is that a fair comparison? Wasn't Scheifele playing second line minutes behind some version of Ladd/Little/X? Stafford is a comparable with Jagr of last season? Perreault sure didn't duplicate his season of a year before and if you asked me to trade him for Huberdeau I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm not arguing that Scheifele can necessarily continue his torrid pace of the latter third of the season, that would be entirely speculative. But no more or less speculative that he CAN'T continue the pace given similar linemates to what he had for that period of time or what Barkov had for the majority of his season. To me it's like assessing Trouba on his play without acknowledging he spent the majority of his season(s) playing with Stuart. Oh, well Trouba's production is at best a second pairing defenseman and a disappointment. Without context, making statements isn't particularly helpful.

Agreed, as of right now both players are on the same level. Sure Barkov could move past Scheifele if he keeps developing and Scheifele starts to plateau. But Scheifele could continue to develop and Barkov could plateau as well. I know given his age that's not as likely as Mark flattening but stranger things have happened.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Why do we care how old anyone is? They both remain RFAs for the same amount of their careers less a year.

8 year term is gonna cost more AAV than Barkov because you are buying 2 more UFA years.

Winnipegers, we sure are a thrifty bunch....

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why do we care how old anyone is? They both remain RFAs for the same amount of their careers less a year.

8 year term is gonna cost more AAV than Barkov because you are buying 2 more UFA years.

Barkov is scoring at the same rate as Scheifele, but he's 2.5 years younger. Here's an NHL forward age/scoring curve (based on all forwards 5v5 2007-08 to 2013-2014):

Points_aging_1_medium.png

It would be reasonable to expect Barkov to be more productive than Scheifele over the next few years. Not to say that they'll both necessarily follow that curve, but it's a sensible bet and you're going to pay something extra for that.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Barkov is scoring at the same rate as Scheifele, but he's 2.5 years younger. Here's an NHL forward age/scoring curve (based on all forwards 5v5 2007-08 to 2013-2014):

Points_aging_1_medium.png

It would be reasonable to expect Barkov to be more productive than Scheifele over the next few years. Not to say that they'll both necessarily follow that curve, but it's a sensible bet and you're going to pay something extra for that.

True. I just doubt that will be a huge bargaining chip. Also keep in mind that barkovs deal allows him to enter Ufa still in his prime for another big pay day. If you give Scheif 8 years he will be 31 when he gets to UFA.... that won't be lost on his agent...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/05/11/scheifele-enjoying-world-stage

“I don't even know what's going on with (the negotiations with the Jets). That's not my job. My job is to play hockey and I'm over here to win a gold medal. My agent can take care of the rest,†Scheifele said in a telephone interview from Russia on Wednesday. “Obviously my goal is to be with Winnipeg for a long time. We'll see what all transpires this summer. But I'm going to be the same guy that I am.

“I'm going to continue to work hard to become a better hockey player each and every day. To do my job each and every day. I'm going to be in the gym a lot, getting stronger, bigger and faster. But I'm going to work on my game as well. It's another big summer for me.â€

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Thats pretty much it. Sending Scheif back to Barrie was a very shrewd move move in retrospect.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/05/11/scheifele-enjoying-world-stage

“I don't even know what's going on with (the negotiations with the Jets). That's not my job. My job is to play hockey and I'm over here to win a gold medal. My agent can take care of the rest,†Scheifele said in a telephone interview from Russia on Wednesday. “Obviously my goal is to be with Winnipeg for a long time. We'll see what all transpires this summer. But I'm going to be the same guy that I am.

“I'm going to continue to work hard to become a better hockey player each and every day. To do my job each and every day. I'm going to be in the gym a lot, getting stronger, bigger and faster. But I'm going to work on my game as well. It's another big summer for me.â€

Thanks, Aavco. Always love to hear his quotes, such a great work-ethic. Can't wait for next season, Chef will be a monster.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I hate playing armchair GM, but I'm going to side with the 8 year, 50M+ crowd. Scheif is a godsend. This is not the negotiation where Chevy should play the hard bargaining game.

Save that for Trouba, and his parasite.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Would Scheifele go max term?

Makes sense for the Jets, but puts Scheifele at around 31 for is next deal. That age could impact his negotiation strength. Finacially, it may be better for him to sign a 6 yr deal. At 29, he's cashing in a bit more, for longer, when the cap is likely higher.

If Jets can do 8 yrs and $50 mill, they should jump at it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
IMO a 8 year $50 M contract for Scheif will look like one hell of a bargain in a couple years.

That contract would look pretty nice when building a contender.
Teams need that type of contracts, steal contracts to top players.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
That contract would look pretty nice when building a contender.
Teams need that type of contracts, steal contracts.

Tavares signed a 6 year, 33m contract. That was widely considered a steal at the time, and is even more so. He'll be 27 when his contract is up. That will be one hell of a payday.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Would Scheifele go max term?

Makes sense for the Jets, but puts Scheifele at around 31 for is next deal. That age could impact his negotiation strength. Finacially, it may be better for him to sign a 6 yr deal. At 29, he's cashing in a bit more, for longer, when the cap is likely higher.

If Jets can do 8 yrs and $50 mill, they should jump at it.

Agreed 6 X 6 would be preferred by Scheif's agent but just maybe Mark says 8 X $6.25 is good enough for me. But at the end of the day just get the kid signed for a min of 6 years is all I ask.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Agreed 6 X 6 would be preferred by Scheif's agent but just maybe Mark says 8 X $6.25 is good enough for me. But at the end of the day just get the kid signed for a min of 6 years is all I ask.

Agree, King.

Buying 4 UFA years would be expensive. Don't think we'd get them at that rate. So 6 x $6, get'ter done Chevy.

Fables

Apr 27, 2015
Thats pretty much it. Sending Scheif back to Barrie was a very shrewd move move in retrospect.

If you want you use Barkov for Benchmarking then yes, his linesmates last year (when he was 20 years old) were Hubs and Jagr. But in his first year and most of the second year he was playing with Brad Boyes and Sean Bergenheim (3/4th line wingers) while asked to play first line duties as he was constantly playing against other team's best lines. And he was asked to concentrate on defence first. So that should also be considered when looking at his career averages.

Saying that I hope you can sign Scheifele to a good contract and we will be seeing him play with Laine next year.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: