Salary Cap: Scheifele new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sometimes contracts are about past performance. Especially UFA. They are not always about projection.

The projections are based on past performance but the contract is always about projection unless they are paying retroactively.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
When the salary cap goes up, a 6.25 AAV will look like a bargain half way through. I expect the Jets secure him LT.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Mark Scheifele exemplifies all the good qualities that the Jets are looking for. He may not be the most talented player on the team (he's still very good) but his work ethic and attitude are incredible. He's the type of player that could play his entire career in one city and we need to lock him up long term. I want him to be the guy that our yoing prospects learn from. If they buy into his work ethic and leadership, we're a great team for years to come.

jetman

May 21, 2015
I think Chevy usually seems to wait until the playoffs are done to do anything in the offseason, so I think we still are going to wait a while on Scheifeles contract.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You're buying 4 years of UFA....we won't get him for too much cheaper.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
7 mil for 8 years of 1Cs prime is pretty cheap.

I'm still banking on it being closer to 6.25 or 6.5 but I won't loose any sleep at 7 mil

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
He has only done that for the laat 2 months of the season. I'm not willing to go 56m over 8 seasons for Scheifele. Not this early.

Me Neither, but he probably won't command that much. We may be very lucky on the timing of this contract if that pace is sustained.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
"Barkov did a 6 years for 35.4M, and he gets to wing Laine only on the internationals." ;)

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
7 years at $ 41.3 mill for a 5.9 AAV.
Or
6 years at $ 33 mill for a cap hit of $ 5.5 mill.

For those bad at math that 7 th year is back loaded to entice Schiefele for that extra year at $ 8.3 mill.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It will likely be something very close to Barkov's deal

6 x $5.75M or
7 x $6M or
8 x $6.25M

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He has only done that for the laat 2 months of the season. I'm not willing to go 56m over 8 seasons for Scheifele. Not this early.

:laugh: If you aren't willing think how Chipman must feel about it. The money actually comes out of his pocket. :laugh:

I think there is pretty wide agreement that Scheifele is the player we want to wrap up for as long as possible - 8 years. The AAV should be as low as possible, obviously. Some are throwing around big numbers. I think they are saying that they want to pay whatever it takes. They just want him locked up. Fair enough but we can't pay above the market for every good player who comes along.

The way I am looking at it is that the 4 RFA years are worth about 3 mil AAV. That number is the same if he signs for 6 years or 8. If we look at 8 and an AAV of 6 that means that we are paying 4x9 for the 4 UFA years. 9 mil/yr is right up there! If we increase the total contract to 6.5 the 4 RFA years are unchanged so the 4 UFA years are up to 10/yr, if we go to 7 they are at 11/yr! Those numbers are not going to seem like a bargain within the life of the contract. I think that 4x3 + 4x9 = 8x6 is as close to the right number as we can guess. Some small variation on that might come out through negotiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad