Salary Cap: Scheifele new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Well honestly that would be an incredible deal. I would see how much that 8the year would cost.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the AAV goes up as you add UFA years.

$6M x 8 years
$5.5M x 6/7

or bridge for $3M x 2 (and then end up paying him $7.5M x 7 or something in the summer of 2018 - right at Peak Scheifele...).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think he gets around 7 years at an AAV of $5.65 million. I don't see any reason for either camp to entertain a bridge deal.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Maybe 8 year/$41.8 (AAV $5.2 million)

Here is an excellent article:

http://jetsnation.ca/2016/1/27/scheifele-s-back-now-what-about-his-next-deal

Somewhere in that ballpark is what I'm hoping for. Chevy is going to have to be a lot smarter than he has been with contracts from here on in. With Trouba, Ehlers, Connor, Laine , etc. all to be signed in the next few years, lets hope he learned what not to do giving plum deals to plugs.

Oh, and I think Scheif will be agreeable to being taking a hometown discount being as he will be seen as a leader of this new crew with some dang talented youngsters coming along after him.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd honestly be okay if we just gave him the $5.8M that Wheeler makes if we can get him for 7 years.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Maybe 8 year/$41.8 (AAV $5.2 million)

Here is an excellent article:

http://jetsnation.ca/2016/1/27/scheifele-s-back-now-what-about-his-next-deal

Right, that is where I think it should end up. He shouldn't be getting 6M since we should be factoring his limited options/compensation that his RFA status would give, plus half a great season is not necessarily indicative of his play for the next few years.

I would definitely prefer a long-term deal. We don't need to save money right now with a bridge given our ample cap situation.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Somewhere in that ballpark is what I'm hoping for. Chevy is going to have to be a lot smarter than he has been with contracts from here on in. With Trouba, Ehlers, Connor, Laine , etc. all to be signed in the next few years, lets hope he learned what not to do giving plum deals to plugs.

Oh, and I think Scheif will be agreeable to being taking a hometown discount being as he will be seen as a leader of this new crew with some dang talented youngsters coming along after him.

Other than Pavs, Chevy has actually done very well on his RFA contracts. Both Wheeler and Little have very team friendly contracts. As for UFA's MP and Buff have very good contracts as well. Agreed, his downfall has been the "glue" guys but in the big picture they offer little to no impediment in terms of keeping future talent.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd honestly be okay if we just gave him the $5.8M that Wheeler makes if we can get him for 7 years.

I can't see Scheifele's agent not riding how he finished the season. Along with his value to the organization. It seems pretty likely to me something in the $6 M range for 6-7 years seems pretty likely. Chevy can't risk not coming to terms with Scheifele even if some think it is a bit of an overpay.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I can't see Scheifele's agent not riding how he finished the season. Along with his value to the organization. It seems pretty likely to me something in the $6 M range for 6-7 years seems pretty likely. Chevy can't risk not coming to terms with Scheifele even if some think it is a bit of an overpay.

Agree, King. I think he gets in the $6 mill range for 6-7 years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

One thing to remember about Barkov is that he's younger than Scheifele and will hit UFA younger. Scheifele will want more to buy out his UFA years. I think the Jets should try to sign him for 7-8 years and be prepared to pay him a bit more than Barkov.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
One thing to remember about Barkov is that he's younger than Scheifele and will hit UFA younger. Scheifele will want more to buy out his UFA years. I think the Jets should try to sign him for 7-8 years and be prepared to pay him a bit more than Barkov.

That will not happen.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
I don't see how he gets more than Wheeler, significantly more than Little only having one great season so far.... unless it's an 8 year deal. Hasn't had much opportunity to prove himself in the post-season yet -> which was a big reason Brandon Saad got paid.

Last edited:

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
$5.5m x 8, if I was Chevy.
$3.5m x 2 if I was his agent.
He really came on the last 40% of the season but like Maurice stated it was garbage time. Personally I think the kid has arrived. In 2 years playing 1st line and 1st PP mins with his projected linemates he could be looking at real big $$$. Maybe as a nod to him hire his skills coach Oates. I would love to see Oates working with our PP and a 1st line of Laine-Schiefele-Wheeler. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Pretty soon we are going to see headline

"Scheifele signs 7 year 40 mil$ deal and named Captain"

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
No way he signs that deal. To get his signiture on an 8 yr deal will take $50M IMO

Most likely is something close to the Barkov deal.

6x $5.75M

I could even see 6.5M x 6
Chevy will have to pay up.
He'll be worth it.
Hoping it gets done without too much drama

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
6.25-6.75 for 8 years. Chevy will have to pay or Scheifele will go bet on himself and go for a bridge. That deal will still be great value for a 1C

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't see how he gets more than Wheeler, significantly more than Little only having one great season so far.... unless it's an 8 year deal. Hasn't had much opportunity to prove himself in the post-season yet -> which was a big reason Brandon Saad got paid.

You need to compare Scheifele to other centers. Wingers are not comparable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->