Post-Game Talk: SCF GAME 7 - Heartbreak at the Hub on Causeway - St. Louis Wins The Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
No fan base in hockey appreciates clean, physical play like this one. None.

The problem with St. Louis wasn't the physical, heavy game they play. The problem were the kill shots aimed at the head, the high hits, the flying elbows, the stuff that doesn't belong in hockey. It's not that St. Louis was physical, it's that it appeared they were hitting high and hitting to injure.
.... so they were physical.

I’m sorry, I just have no desire watching the Bruins top 9 prance around. Danton Heinen apologizing and saying “excuse me” before any threat of physical contact. Pastrnak & Johansson getting dummied on the regular. Not a huge fan.

Reactions: TD Charlie

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
You are giving no credit to the other team. You're acting as though we were playing against 1974 Washington Capitals. They came out and it shot the blues 13 to 4 in the first period completely dominating them but unfortunately the blues scored on a deflection and then on and Marsha and mistake going for a change when he shouldn't have. This team played their heart out the entire season and for you to come in here and say they choked is an embarrassment to yourself.
4 to 1 at home game 7 . Embarrassment. People paid some serious money. If we lost by a goal or in overtime I would have forgiven. Now I know how canucks fans feel.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
That’s kind of a dumb statement,doesn’t it depend on who these players are.Coyle was probably the Bruins best forward 5-5 throughout these playoffs,tell me his size wasn’t a factor in that,it’s not just about a big hit,it’s the bigger player,winning the battles in the corner,fighting to get to rebounds.

But claiming the Bruins lost because of their lack of size isn't dumb?

Noone would have given a rats ass about the "lack of size" had the Sharks advanced.
Everyone mentioned the lack of size in the Columbus-series. But the Jackets got exposed eventually.

Had the Bruins lost against the Leafs, people would have wanted even more skill and speed to compete with them.
You can't build a team that matches well against every style.

The major issue in this series wasn't that the Bruins being inferior in the physical department.
Had the rules been enforced properly, this series would have turned out differently. I'm not just talking about those missed major penalties incl. ejections on the suspension fouls or that ridicilous game winner in game 5 ... but the games were called differently after game 3.

Bruins should have been up 3-0 after 10 minutes of game 7. They just didn't score. Size wouldn't have put the puck into the back of the net.
The Blues had 2 chances and scored 2 goals. That was the story of game 7.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The game was lost on that play and Don Cherry knew it

He wasn't the only one who knew it. Jesus, 7 seconds left in the period. Is a line change really what's in order here? Of all the bad decisions he made in these PO's (and there were way too many) this had to be the worst. When I hear a player talk about how much 2013 stung only to watch him play a major role in another "sting" ...........I have to wonder.................Is that 20M 1st line just fools gold? Sure is looking like it.

"THERE ARE PLAYERS THAT GET YOU TO THE PO'S AND THERE ARE PLAYERS THAT GET YOU THROUGH THE PO'S

- Marc Bergevin

Now, I am in no way a Bergevin fan ( he probably heard a wiser hockey guy say this and repeated it) but these are words of wisdom IMO.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Game wasn't lost on that play. Game was lost when we outplayed them in the first and kept them from getting a shot for 16 minutes. We had a power play and constant pressure and some very high quality looks. We score there or better yet go up 2-0 on some lucky bounces or finish on a couple of plays and game is over, our way. Once the balloon bust we were deflated and couldn't get it back

I agree that NOT scoring one or two goals in the first hurt but they should have gone to the room only down 1 - being down 2 was deflating and then the Blues could play their road game.

Losing to Chicago in 2013 was tough but we all knew the Hawks were an elite team.

This one is going to sting for a long, long time.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
4 to 1 at home game 7 . Embarrassment. People paid some serious money. If we lost by a goal or in overtime I would have forgiven. Now I know how canucks fans feel.

Yeah, people always claim this, but that isn't the case if those scenarios really happen.

Proof?
Look at the comments after the first period which the Bruins absolutely dominated, but just failed to score.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
But claiming the Bruins lost because of their lack of size isn't dumb?

Noone would have given a rats ass about the "lack of size" had the Sharks advanced.
Everyone mentioned the lack of size in the Columbus-series. But the Jackets got exposed eventually.

Had the Bruins lost against the Leafs, people would have wanted even more skill and speed to compete with them.
You can't build a team that matches well against every style.

The major issue in this series wasn't that the Bruins being inferior in the physical department.
Had the rules been enforced properly, this series would have turned out differently. I'm not just talking about those missed major penalties incl. ejections on the suspension fouls or that ridicilous game winner in game 5 ... but the games were called differently after game 3.

Bruins should have been up 3-0 after 10 minutes of game 7. They just didn't score. Size wouldn't have put the puck into the back of the net.
The Blues had 2 chances and scored 2 goals. That was the story of game 7.

Yikes this is rough. The better team won. Period. And yes, a lot of that was due to the Blues being the aggressors. It’s not just hitting. It’s being willing to take a hit, assert yourself on 50/50 pucks, battle back around the net, skate through contact. The blues had/have it in spades. Boston had very little of it.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
The Blues were a team where we had to get the lead. That changes their entire style of play but they hold the lead very well when they have it.
I think the Bruins may have held on to their cup winning nucleus(berg DK chara ) too long it's a business need to trade the stock at the right time

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
He wasn't the only one who knew it. Jesus, 7 seconds left in the period. Is a line change really what's in order here? Of all the bad decisions he made in these PO's (and there were way too many) this had to be the worst. When I hear a player talk about how much 2013 stung only to watch him play a major role in another "sting" ...........I have to wonder.................Is that 20M 1st line just fools gold? Sure is looking like it.

"THERE ARE PLAYERS THAT GET YOU TO THE PO'S AND THERE ARE PLAYERS THAT GET YOU THROUGH THE PO'S

- Marc Bergevin

Now, I am in no way a Bergevin fan ( he probably heard a wiser hockey guy say this and repeated it) but these are words of wisdom IMO.

They really are. How come we couldn't have had a Ryan O'Reilly .Didn't we have better candidates to do so?

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA
St. Louis did nothing different than bruins have generally styled their team
for a century .. they out hit, out worked and played tough hockey. It wins. We were soft.
The 2011 team hit hard and went right up to the line of what was dirty...and yes, occasionally crossed it.

But we paid for it. We had 46 penalties in that Vancouver series.

And remember, the only guy that was taken out on a dirty hit that series played for the Bs.

The Blues are different. They flat-out tried to injure guys...and did it effectively in the WCF and SCF. And it changed both series. They had two guys suspended in the SCF. When's the last time you saw that?

I will cheer when people headhunt them next year. I highly doubt they make another deep run in the playoffs.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I agree that NOT scoring one or two goals in the first hurt but they should have gone to the room only down 1 - being down 2 was deflating and then the Blues could play their road game.

Losing to Chicago in 2013 was tough but we all knew the Hawks were an elite team.

This one is going to sting for a long, long time.

Agreed on all of the above.

While there were 40 minutes left at that point and this team had come back from similar situations before, the way they gave up that goal with 7 seconds left was just a killer. You could tell from there that it was going to be a very difficult road the rest of the way because the Blues could just back into a defensive shell for the remainder of the game, which they did and which we couldn't seem to crack.

It was just massively deflating to completely dominate an entire period and find yourself down 2-0. From very early on it really just felt like we had no luck and nothing was going to go right.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Amazing this sport how important the first goal is. Once blues went up 1 zip 10 min in cup should have been presented and people would have saved time get rest for work tomorrow. Just so weird first goal determines outcome like 90 %.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The 2011 team hit hard and went right up to the line of what was dirty...and yes, occasionally crossed it.

And remember, the only guy that was taken out on a dirty hit that series played for the Bs.

The Blues are different. They flat-out tried to injure guys...and did it effectively in the WCF and SCF. And it changed both series. They had two guys suspended in the SCF. When's the last time you saw that?

I will cheer when people headhunt them next year. I highly doubt they make another deep run in the playoffs.

Terrible.

The Blues hit to hurt. They made it a point to take the body at every opportunity. They went high. A LOT. More than they had to.

I didn’t care for the headshots but damn i wish Boston had that mean streak still in them. Even just a fraction of it.

Reactions: trenton1

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

It's a one time wonder. That's all the blues are.
Well they have their first cup
And so did Wash win their first last year. Back to back firsts
Maybe the league ordered the refs to make sure they make history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad