Post-Game Talk: SCF GAME 7 - Heartbreak at the Hub on Causeway - St. Louis Wins The Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yeah, those huge skilled players ... they keep on growing on trees and the Bruins can easily insert them into the roster cap-wise.

It's just so easy. Just get some size!
Take the $3+ million they’ll end up spending on Danton Heinen and put it towards a guy. Maybe, well, lets not get crazy here... toss in a pick or two.

They aren’t impossible to obtain.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think they compete next year, but changes need to be made.

Maybe John Moore was right after all. No dick heads. Maybe ya just need dick heads to win. Certainly a couple bigger guys, one in the top six that can give and take a beating. Been a while since we had it

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
The playoffs will swing back into normality next season.
Tb will be the team to beat
Definitely not St Louis (overachievers)
And Wash still. May have another cup run or two same for Pitt.
In the west I think the Jets
Maybe Colorado and Calgary is a good team but for the most part in the near future I see the cup going back in the EC

It may look that way now but I bet it plays out nothing like that.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Add that size and the Bruins don't make it out of the first round.
That’s kind of a dumb statement,doesn’t it depend on who these players are.Coyle was probably the Bruins best forward 5-5 throughout these playoffs,tell me his size wasn’t a factor in that,it’s not just about a big hit,it’s the bigger player,winning the battles in the corner,fighting to get to rebounds.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
In the last forty years out of 8 finals appearances Bruins have 1 series win,this is something I have gotten used to,we’re the runner ups again.We will always have are 2011 miracle,though.

Wow that's interesting. If I look at it like that...I'd say we really are chokers in the true sense of the word.
Why is that?

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Maybe John Moore was right after all. No dick heads. Maybe ya just need dick heads to win. Certainly a couple bigger guys, one in the top six that can give and take a beating. Been a while since we had it
If it ain't broke don't fix it. We won huge with Clifton in game 6. Should have kept same line up. Cassidy messsed up there I feel.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
The game was lost on that play and Don Cherry knew it

Game wasn't lost on that play. Game was lost when we outplayed them in the first and kept them from getting a shot for 16 minutes. We had a power play and constant pressure and some very high quality looks. We score there or better yet go up 2-0 on some lucky bounces or finish on a couple of plays and game is over, our way. Once the balloon bust we were deflated and couldn't get it back

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
St. Louis did nothing different than bruins have generally styled their team
for a century .. they out hit, out worked and played tough hockey. It wins. We were soft.
This is such a ridiculous take. Did you actually watch the games and come up with this? The hits for the series were almost identical. We actually outscored them in the series. They did not work us, they got outshot significantly in this game. Bottom line is there goaltender played fantastic tonight and they made the most of the chances they had. This team was in no way soft and you should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting it

Reactions: Budddy

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Its all about speed and skill now, man.

Also, watch Maroon in the post game interview. “Old time hockey” he pretty much mocked the “speed and skill” outlook.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
It just goes to show the turn these boards have taken. The Bruins were physically dismantling Vancouver beyond belief to the point where they completely changed their team outlook for years.

Now: “WELL, ST LOUIS WAS TOO MEAN!”

Good god.

No fan base in hockey appreciates clean, physical play like this one. None.

The problem with St. Louis wasn't the physical, heavy game they play. The problem were the kill shots aimed at the head, the high hits, the flying elbows, the stuff that doesn't belong in hockey. It's not that St. Louis was physical, it's that it appeared they were hitting high and hitting to injure.

You look at teams that have won the Cup in recent years.

Washington last year - speed and skill with a dose of heavy
Pittsburgh the two years before - speed and skill with a dose of heavy
Chicago three times - speed and skill with a dose of heavy

That's exactly how the Bruins are built, and that got them to within one game of a Stanley Cup. They have speed and skill with some solid defensemen who can move the puck and some talented forwards. But the fourth line - which carried them in the playoffs - plays a very heavy game. This team employs Zdeno Chara, who is probably the heaviest player in the history of the league.

Yes, the heavy game *can* win in this day and age. But a more balanced approach is going to win 15 times out of 20.

And if this series were played 20 times, the Bruins would probably win 15 times. Everything had to go right for the Blues, and it did. Pucks bouncing in off defensemen, a game they won where they got away with obvious penalties that led to all of their goals. Unfortunately for us, this was not one of those times.

Last edited:

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
This is such a ridiculous take. Did you actually watch the games and come up with this? The hits for the series were almost identical. We actually outscored them in the series. They did not work us, they got outshot significantly in this game. Bottom line is there goaltender played fantastic tonight and they made the most of the chances they had. This team was in no way soft and you should be ashamed of yourself for suggesting it
Ahh ... Bennington won it did he? MVP. Team played tough all series. We weren’t soft at all... more PP’s we would have won right ?

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA
Well, I mean it won this year and won last year. Also, it won when the Bruins won the cup. I mean we can preach Boy Scout hockey all we want, but the Bruins lack of size definitely hurt them.
I agree with you there.

We could definitely use an injection of toughness.

But the way the series was officiated had something to do with the perception. If the Blues had been whistled for more of their headshots and slewfoots after G3, we're probably not even talking about this right now because the series would've been over in 5 or 6 for the Bs.

Reactions: trenton1

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
What else would you call it? This cup was ours to win and we gift wrapped it up to Mr berube iq level Neanderthal.
You are giving no credit to the other team. You're acting as though we were playing against 1974 Washington Capitals. They came out and outshot the blues 13 to 4 in the first period completely dominating them but unfortunately the blues scored on a deflection and then on and Marshand mistake going for a change when he shouldn't have. This team played their heart out the entire season and for you to come in here and say they choked is an embarrassment to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad