Post-Game Talk: SCF GAME 7 - Heartbreak at the Hub on Causeway - St. Louis Wins The Stanley Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I'm not gonna bother repasting what I just said in the Legacy Thread. If anyone wants to read it, they can read it there. I'll just say this. It's HARD to win the cup. There's a reason dynasties are rare. Most teams in the league would've killed to just MAKE the finals.

I'm disappointed but I know the team's disappointment in themselves is way worse right now.
It was a wasted opportunity,I’m sure it will be a lot more difficult journey for them to try and get their next season.Thats why the huge disappointment for me ,a lot more than loosing to Chicago,plus Bruins core players were much younger just not sure this group gets back there again.When I shut the game of at 4-0 I said I was done with hockey until next season,didn’t want to talk about it ,but here I am Lol.

Reactions: Trizz617

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Thats hockey. Over 1000 games, the better team comes out on top. Over a 7 game series, there is variability. Didnt play well in games 2/4 and it became a 3 game series...Thought we played well in those games but the pucks didnt find the sticks or the holes in the goalies. The two that will be stuck in my mind are Marchand's post in game 5 and when he just caught Binnington's armpit in game7 with alot of open net. If those go in, I think the games turn out more like game 6.

It could be that the Blues were better. They had a very good, very big defense and it was hard to get high quality scoring chances despite their goalie giving up juicy juicy rebounds. I think in 10 years we will look back in shock that Binnington won a cup, and that has to do with how good their D was at cleaning up his messes.

Wow -Really good description but I do think binnington was great in games 5 and 7 but with that said I agree with you he isnt a great goalie.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
wasn't meant to be. Bergeron with the groin strain, chara with the broken jaw. The bruins simply ran out of gas. They needed the lead in
game 7 and have the emotion of the moment take it home. Never happened in the first period when they had there chances to score.
Blues played a solid road game. Weathered the storm early and scored on the chances to score.
This post hits the nail on the head. The Bruins went all in putting tons of pressure on the Blues in the first period. Binner who took his OHL team to a championship not long ago. He got the Blues into the NHL finals and killed in this game. When a goalie gets into a zone like this opponents struggle and frustration sets in quickly. It gave the Blues confidence playing in front of him. They capitalized on their chances. Once they got that two goal lead the Bruins had to play with caution afraid of mistakes. It's all history now.

Reactions: PaulD

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
100% respect to the Blues. Loved how they played (minus a few cheap shots) but they played physical and hard nosed hockey. Bruins lost 3 out of 4 at home and deserved to lose the series. Playoff hockey is a different sport than regular season hockey as the smaller Bruins players found out. Marchands lazy play that led to the 2nd goal was the turning point and the dagger. You dont whiff on a guy, you dont change when on defense even if you are tired - thats not done in mite hockey nevermind game 7. Pathetic play. Congrats to the Blues the better team won the series.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Agreed, but you can't win hockey games if you can't score. The Bruins didn't score enough. It was good for the young guys to go through this however. The loss is crushing for me, I really thought we'd see the game 6 Bruins out there. I was wrong.
I agree totally,there top players let the team down.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I cant say destroyed Leafs but yes I am sure am glad we got by them and had two months of fun and great hockey. The blues and Columbus were both big strong teams . Way bigger and stronger than us . The leafs were all talent so we saw some of both styles . The top d-meN on Columbus and especially stlouis were an amazing group .
I just added "destroyed" to give any Leaf fan reading this thread something to chew on. They are brutalizing the Bruins on their forum. Makes them feel better today after losing out to the Bruins at the beginning I guess. :)

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
It was a wasted opportunity,I’m sure it will be a lot more difficult journey for them to try and get their next season.Thats why the huge disappointment for me ,a lot more than loosing to Chicago,plus Bruins core players were much younger just not sure this group gets back there again.When I shut the game of at 4-0 I said I was done with hockey until next season,didn’t want to talk about it ,but here I am Lol.

This opportunity won't happen for a very long time
As much as ppl say "oh let's be proud " "it was quite a run" etc etc. The reality is :
THEY BLEW IT! VS an inferior team with a nobody goalie
Losers that they are..... Time to Rebuild ! And yes I'll say it again this is the best time imo to trade Rask

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
100% respect to the Blues. Loved how they played (minus a few cheap shots) but they played physical and hard nosed hockey. Bruins lost 3 out of 4 at home and deserved to lose the series. Playoff hockey is a different sport than regular season hockey as the smaller Bruins players found out. Marchands lazy play that led to the 2nd goal was the turning point and the dagger. You dont whiff on a guy, you dont change when on defense even if you are tired - thats not done in mite hockey nevermind game 7. Pathetic play. Congrats to the Blues the better team won the series.
I don't agree the Blues are the better team.
I don't give credit to the Blues either.
The Bruins gave it to them, so did the league.

maswe12

Feb 27, 2002
orlando, fl
Wow -Really good description but I do think binnington was great in games 5 and 7 but with that said I agree with you he isnt a great goalie.

He got in a rhythm and was very good. They got a lead and they shifted their defense and there was even less space out there. If we played games 2 and 4 like we did games 5-7, I think there is a good chance we win the series. But we kept on letting them even up the series...

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
What a kick in the nuts. 1st period looked so promising. Bruins skating hard, hitting, shooting, even winning face offs. Fak, the blues didn’t have a shot for a stretch of 16 min! And then one stupid deflection five hole, followed by a Marchand brain fart knocked the Bruins out.
Rask picked the wrong game to be average. Looked shaky all game. Guy was phenomenal all playoffs, (Bruin’s MVP) but last night was ‘13 all over again.

1st line was brutal most games. No creativity or finesse of the regular season except on the pp. Wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 had some sort of injury. This team lived & died on the pp. Rask & pp got them this far. Rooney tied one of their arms behind their back in 4 games of this series. Mind you, the blues played a very disciplined game last night, except for a couple of blatant trips, they played clean.

Lots of positives though. Bruins made it to game 7 of final. Lots of young players on the team and in the pipeline. Future is bright. Cassidy & DSweeney are doing great. I can see them making it deep next year as well. Great experience for the young ones. Remember that epic fail vs the flyers in ‘10 only to sweep them in ‘11 & win cup? Go Bruins!

PS could’ve used a Krieder these p/o. Krejci would’ve been way more effective

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
What’s really killing me this morning is that I still believe the better team did not win this.

There were stretches where the B’s just totally dominated the Blues but ultimately couldn’t get it done on their home ice.
Yeah wish game seven had been in St Louis,Bruins played so much better there,and Binnington plays so much better on the road,

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
There is no excuse for the lackluster play of last night. None. It was a disgrace and an embarrassment. I will not change my mind about that.

Throughout the four rounds of playoffs the only players who ever played up to their capabilities was Tuukka Rask, Charlie Coyle, Marcus Johansson, Danton Heinen, Noel Acciari, Sean Kuraly & Joakim Nordstrom. Patrice Bergeron,David Pastrnak, #63, David Krejci, Jake DeBrusk & David Backes had flashes but were non factors in the Final. They have a lot of explaining to do and frankly I don't want to hear it- they were supposedly the best players on the team but you wouldn't know it by their lack of performance when it mattered most.

Every Stanley Cup Final is a golden opportunity but this one was especially so after Tampa Bay & Washington were defeated in the first round. It was Chara & Backes' last chance to win one and probably for Bergeron, #63 and Krejci as well. The team flat out blew it which is proof they didn't deserve it.

f*** the St. Louis Blues. They are the worst champions since the Flyers of the mid 70s and are an embarrassment to the NHL much like the Detroit Pistons were when they won NBA titles in the early 90s. Good luck to the NHL trying to curb dirty play now that 31 other teams know it can pay off in the form of a Stanley Cup.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I don't agree the Blues are the better team.
I don't give credit to the Blues either.
The Bruins gave it to them, so did the league.

Well you're wrong. The better team is holding the Stanley Cup right now. Bruins may have been the better team on paper but the Blues wanted it more and it showed. You cant quantify heart and effort. Referees were great last night and let them play. If you cant win a home game 7 then you dont deserve it.

Reactions: craws and Trizz617

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
He got in a rhythm and was very good. They got a lead and they shifted their defense and there was even less space out there. If we played games 2 and 4 like we did games 5-7, I think there is a good chance we win the series. But we kept on letting them even up the series...

Again very well said and obviously someone who is actually watching the games very close and bang on .

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Great run Bruins. You will contend again next year. At least you didnt get swept in the first round.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
What a kick in the nuts. 1st period looked so promising. Bruins skating hard, hitting, shooting, even winning face offs. Fak, the blues didn’t have a shot for a stretch of 16 min! And then one stupid deflection five hole, followed by a Marchand brain fart knocked the Bruins out.
Rask picked the wrong game to be average. Looked shaky all game. Guy was phenomenal all playoffs, (Bruin’s MVP) but last night was ‘13 all over again.

1st line was brutal most games. No creativity or finesse of the regular season except on the pp. Wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 had some sort of injury. This team lived & died on the pp. Rask & pp got them this far. Rooney tied one of their arms behind their back in 4 games of this series. Mind you, the blues played a very disciplined game last night, except for a couple of blatant trips, they played clean.

Lots of positives though. Bruins made it to game 7 of final. Lots of young players on the team and in the pipeline. Future is bright. Cassidy & DSweeney are doing great. I can see them making it deep next year as well. Great experience for the young ones. Remember that epic fail vs the flyers in ‘10 only to sweep them in ‘11 & win cup? Go Bruins!

PS could’ve used a Krieder these p/o. Krejci would’ve been way more effective
I’m not sure about the pipeline,still don’t see a replacement for Bergeron or Krejci

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
marchand marchand.
2 bonehead plays a squirt wouldnt make.
game 2 play that probably swung the game
then the game 7 horrible peewee line change.
im calling him skateless brad marchand from now on. lol.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

theplayer

Apr 20, 2014
To the people blaming Rask, we scored 1 goal, that's it....can't expect Rask to pitch a shutout in the SCF, if you want to blame anyone, blame the first line that continued their power outage last night. Our big players came up small in the biggest game. Anyone who puts this on Rask has no idea what they are talking about and clearly has an agenda. The sole reason the Bruins are where they are was because of Rask and our bottom 6. Our top players need to do some soul searching because this may have been their last crack at a cup and that core is 1-2.
every goal is big, especially the 1st. Yes, it was a deflection, but it was deflected early and went straight through the 5 hole. It was a stop Rask could have made and it was a huge goal. @nd goal was a stop a hot goalie makes, he went for a poke check and missed.
You can't just say the Bruins scored only 1 goal so it doesn't really matter. If they were not down 2-0, then the Blues would not be in a defend mode and maybe the Bruins score more.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Well you're wrong. The better team is holding the Stanley Cup right now. Bruins may have been the better team on paper but the Blues wanted it more and it showed. You cant quantify heart and effort. Referees were great last night and let them play. If you cant win a home game 7 then you dont deserve it.
Bruins lost it last night, if you can't see that, there's nothing else to say.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It's not on the coach. It's not on the goalie.
Yes and that goalie was in the opponents nets making incredible saves. He won the Blues the cup in the first period alone. If you can't score on a goalie making incredible saves all night you are going to lose the game. It's as simple as that in hockey. Our Bruins couldn't get a pea passed this guy tonight. They scored on at the end like the 2-1 game where they got hosed by the refs. Too little too late.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Boston was clearly the better team throughout the season. STL was on par with them the second half. When they met in the series, it was back and forth, but STL was the better team in the series.

What’s really killing me this morning is that I still believe the better team did not win this.

There were stretches where the B’s just totally dominated the Blues but ultimately couldn’t get it done on their home ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad