GDT: SCF: Game 2 | NBCSN 7 P.M. | Bounce Back Blues

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Man, I couldn't care less about that Sunny hit. Flat out dont give a ****. I've watched teams take cheap shots on Blues players and march into series wins. If the Blues leave a few corpses on the roadway, oh well.

They got it right on the ice with the 2 minutes, IMO. He definitely hit the head and the onus is on him for that, but there is no way you can interpret he intended to take him out there. Grzelcyk left himself in a terrible spot, and made it nearly impossible to miss the head if we committed to the hit, and since we committed to 100% of the available hits all game long, the odds were not ever in his favor.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
I mean I'm fine with the penalty on that play, but Gryzclyk turned on Sunny and put himself in a terrible position. That has to be taken into account.

StreetHawk posted this on GDT on Stanley Cup Finals forum.

I agree. Grz knew Sundqvist was right on him. Grz is a LHD so as the puck is coming around the end boards, he is setting himself up to hammer it on his forehand around the net.

But, for whatever reason, either the puck hit something or Grz misread the speed of the puck coming around the boards because he ended up slapping/chopping at the puck, rather than set up and getting a lot on the puck. By chopping at it, he ended up contorted his body which put him into a vulnerable position.

If you pause the replay when he is at the bottom of the faceoff circle, you're expecting Grz to end up with his left shoulder against the glass and be ready to absorb the hit with his right shoulder. Either do that or slow down and battle for the puck along the boards, if you're concerned about taking the hit.

Reactions: PiggySmalls

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis

Well time to spin the wheel of suspension. Does Sunny get suspended a game?

IMO it shouldn't be.

Suspend a player who was committed to the hit when a dman turned last second. Penalty? Yes. Suspension? No

I don't think he should be suspended. It was a bad hit and a penalty, but it doesn't happen unless Grzlechyckzyl puts himself into that awkward position right before the hit.

Also, just posting in here because it's a historic thread.

Reactions: Spektre

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Somewhat related note:

I don't think I've ever seen an athlete with Binnington's demeanor. He doesn't get too high or too low based on his, and the team's, performance. Additionally, he never gave up on himself.

Whatever happens the rest of the series, happens, but Binnington's story is something that I think a lot of people can learn from.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou

Well time to spin the wheel of suspension. Does Sunny get suspended a game?

IMO it shouldn't be.

Suspend a player who was committed to the hit when a dman turned last second. Penalty? Yes. Suspension? No

So suspension for Sunny's hit but no suspension for exactly the same type of hit on Blais in the 3rd? If they suspend him the fix is totally in by Bettman's garbage league.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Somewhat related note:

I don't think I've ever seen an athlete with Binnington's demeanor. He doesn't get too high or too low based on his, and the team's, performance. Additionally, he never gave up on himself.

Whatever happens the rest of the series, happens, but Binnington's story is something that I think a lot of people can learn from.
I am 100% convinced that at least part of the non-reaction thing is intentional. There's no way in hell that he couldn't have been excited about this win.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Somewhat related note:

It’ll be interesting to see his reaction if the Blues win the Cup

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Both hits put the player's head into the boards because they were in poor position. Both hits were hockey plays. It was clean but I'm just wondering why Sunny is getting reviewed by the NHL but not Nordstrom.
The Backes hit, while I still didn't like it, off of the replay seemed to be shoulder to shoulder.

Sunny's hit was shoulder to head, whether intentional or not.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Both hits put the player's head into the boards because they were in poor position. Both hits were hockey plays. It was clean but I'm just wondering why Sunny is getting reviewed by the NHL but not Nordstrom.
Because he hit Gryz straight in the numbers. That's going to get called every time, even if Gryz put himself in that position.

Sunny shouldn't get suspended but this is DoPS we're talking about so who the hell knows.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Because he hit Gryz straight in the numbers. That's going to get called every time, even if Gryz put himself in that position.

Sunny shouldn't get suspended but this is DoPS we're talking about so who the hell knows.

Yeah, I don't think Sunny's hit was dirty as much as it was unfortunate. He should have let up going into the boards as to avoid that situation.

Gryz turning into the hit didn't help things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad