Post-Game Talk: SCF GAME 2 - Blues take Game 2 over Bruins, even Stanley Cup Final series at 1-1

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I know it's been weeks since we've had a 'day after a loss,' but this one still stings. Had they competed or gotten beat by a hot goalie, I'd be better with it.

But by and large, last night looked like men against boys. Their effort level reminded me of Game One vs. Toronto. I hate to think they had a mental lapse and thought this was going to be easy, which some admitted after Game One against the Leafs.

St. Louis is doing what the B's did to Vancouver in 2011 - finishing every hit, which takes an immediate toll physically, and a mental toll as the series continues. Which is why a 2-0 lead and home ice was such a big deal.

Also St. Louis' defensive layers are solid. Lanes are clogged, and quality shots are very hard to come by.

I'm not a 'rules change' kinda guy, but it's worth considering allowing a Black Ace to enter the game if a player is injured by an opponent. In my estimation, Sundqvist's hit had 'intent' written all over it. It not only took a prime puck-mover out of the game, it upset the pairings and ice time for everyone else.

Granted the top line players are likely all nursing injuries. But the mental mistakes are what's really hurting them. It might be worth pulling out video from the 2013 Final to reiterate opportunities like this don't come around very often.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
What have I done to wind up spending 5 nights in this hellhole of a city

61473281_10217884241510399_3352230633182068736_n.jpg
OUCH!!

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Remembering back on last nights game, did the Bruins figure something out with Binnington, shooting 5-hole because both their goals came that way. He did seem a bit vunerable there so maybe they are onto something.
He definitely looked like they had him on the roaps early in the first,but rarely tested the rest of the game.

Reactions: nORRis8

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I know it's been weeks since we've had a 'day after a loss,' but this one still stings. Had they competed or gotten beat by a hot goalie, I'd be better with it.

But by and large, last night looked like men against boys. Their effort level reminded me of Game One vs. Toronto. I hate to think they had a mental lapse and thought this was going to be easy, which some admitted after Game One against the Leafs.

St. Louis is doing what the B's did to Vancouver in 2011 - finishing every hit, which takes an immediate toll physically, and a mental toll as the series continues. Which is why a 2-0 lead and home ice was such a big deal.

Also St. Louis' defensive layers are solid. Lanes are clogged, and quality shots are very hard to come by.

I'm not a 'rules change' kinda guy, but it's worth considering allowing a Black Ace to enter the game if a player is injured by an opponent. In my estimation, Sundqvist's hit had 'intent' written all over it. It not only took a prime puck-mover out of the game, it upset the pairings and ice time for everyone else.

Granted the top line players are likely all nursing injuries. But the mental mistakes are what's really hurting them. It might be worth pulling out video from the 2013 Final to reiterate opportunities like this don't come around very often.
I have always thought a team should be able to bring someone in to replace an injured player,especially on D .

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I've only seen him a couple times and what I've seen, he doesn't have much to offer hockey wise other than being a *****e fake tough guy. He was in Bruins faces all night, pushing and shoving them acting like some kind of bad ass. Fact of the matter is if this were the regular season, Chara would have laid him out last night but he knows better when it's the SCF's. Hopefully the B's get up a couple games on them and he takes care of business at the appropriate time.
A little hard for Z to risk going to the box when we were down a d man. I bet he will do "something" in a game soon.

Reactions: BMC

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Who is accepting it ? I would help out but they wouldn't let me bring in the baseball bat.

I hope Tuukka pulls a Timmy and blockers one of them. Or gives them a Burrows slash to the leg. Remember when the biter shashed Timmy and Looch punched Burrows in the back of the head ?...loved that

I watch every time Tuukka gets hit in the crease. If its incidental or one time he just turns around and skates away. But if its more than once in a game he will get a blocker jab in.
Thats a penalty, so I get nervous when he does it, but I am glad he does it. Make there be a price for the dirty stuff.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Poor Don, here he's looking like a classic example of a guy in his 80's staying in a position of influence when he's too fried to remember his own principles. He used to be a leader in denouncing hits from behind. He was a huge proponent of the "STOP" signs on the backs of kids jerseys and helmets.
Don Cherry Supports Stop Program to Promote Safe Hockey
Yeah he wears a Bruin tie or jacket once in awhile,but I think he really hates the Bruins,so does the dick he is with,listened two them before the OT period and all they talked about was the Blues ,I bet they both had a hard on the way they were carrying on about them,god I miss Jack and Brick.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Felt like Vancouver to me as well, and we were Vancouver! That was a shameful attempt last night.

I actually hope it was just poor planning or going in over confident due to game 1. If last night was due to fatigue, injury, or really anything physical, then I’m afraid Patrick Maroon is correct

“You guys are f’d!”

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What have I done to wind up spending 5 nights in this hellhole of a city

61473281_10217884241510399_3352230633182068736_n.jpg

I visited St. Louis in 1983. The Arch is very cool, I got to go up in it & luckily it was a very clear day, you could see forever. Went to a 4th of July concert @ Busch Stadium & visited the McDonnell planetarium which is also cool, they had a Gemini capsule that had actually flown in space. I also enjoyed going to the Missouri Botanical Gardens and the farm where the Budweiser Clydesdales live & train. Did a tour of the Budweiser plant too. The trip was an interesting experience for a then 20 year old country girl :)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
A little hard for Z to risk going to the box when we were down a d man. I bet he will do "something" in a game soon.

For having 5 defensemen most of the game, and having to cover for the atrocious forward play, i thought the D held it together for the most part. They were under siege for what seemed like 90 percent of the game

Reactions: BMC

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
What is wrong with Marchand, he played the worst hockey I have ever seen anyone play last night.

It says he had 4 giveaways, he had more there is no way it was that low, this top line needs to get their a** in gear as right now it is horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad