Scariest Moments You've Seen Live

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Todd Fedoruk getting his face shattered by Colton Orr's fist at MSG. Crowd went wild until they saw Fedoruk not moving. Scary, scary scene.
My dad was watching a Leafs game one night and I was walking by when the Colton Orr/George Parros fight happened. If I remember correctly, when Orr went down, he pulled Parros with him, and Parros smashed his face into the ice. That one was pretty scary too.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I think the scariest moments I've seen live are from other sports though. Christian Eriksen having a heart attack mid play and Romain Grosjean almost burning to death have to be the two scariest, both are pretty recent as well.

Quoting this to echo the bolded, doubly so personally because Eriksen played for my favorite club team at the time which created an extra layer of scariness for me watching that happen. Dude just staggered forward and fell down, I've never seen anything like it and hope I never see it again.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Not hockey,

but Christian Eriksen, in the euros. I thought he had died. It was horrific. They gave him CPR for almost 10 minutes live.

----

For hockey I'd say two come to mind:
- John Tavares in the playoffs, seeing him fall back well the trainer was holding him.
- Khaira being knocked out cold

Last edited:
Reactions: Duder54

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I didn’t watch it live but the news showed Clint Malarchuck grab his neck and bleed all over the ice the night he was cut. They gave a warning but I still wasn’t ready for that.

Duder54

For me it was the first time I had to listen to Cassie Campbell doing colour commentary. That sh*t was truly terrifying.

In all seriousness though, the scariest thing I’ve every seen wasn’t in a hockey game, but rather in a road cycling race. Mitch Docker crashing on the cobbles of Paris Roubaix 2016 edition at 60kph. Tongue cut in half, lip cut in half, smashed eye socket, and more blood than a B-grade horror film.

(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/6a87a1af6e76265f035c69b634dca5f5)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BB79

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Quoting this to echo the bolded, doubly so personally because Eriksen played for my favorite club team at the time which created an extra layer of scariness for me watching that happen. Dude just staggered forward and fell down, I've never seen anything like it and hope I never see it again.
What made is worse was that the TV director was incredibly pathetic that day. It was very clear early on that it was very serious, but the guy kept finding shots of his teammates and family members in tears, and the medical personnel doing CPR on him. Absolutely inexcusable.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Not in person was Malarchuk jugular slash (watched live). Only time I ever heard commentators say “turn the camera away”.

In person was hit that ended Gaston Gingras’ career. Perfectly legal hit by Ken Belanger, exact same as Clark’s hit on Bell behind the net. Gingras was out cold before he ever hit the ice, was there for a while and when helped off his legs were dangling and eyes glassy. Never played another minute.

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
I was in attendance for this game at the old Winnipeg Arena where Anaheim player Don McSween suffered a slashed wrist; the blood sprayed the boards and the ice between the player benches.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Unfortunately, the Zednik incident.

Yup. I remember thinking “whoa, that skate blade kicked up! Wonder if anything happened..” as the camera panned. Then it cuts back, and dear lord. Idk, somewhat desensitized already by then, but still weird.
I was in attendance for this game at the old Winnipeg Arena where Anaheim player Don McSween suffered a slashed wrist; the blood sprayed the boards and the ice between the player benches.

From a fight with Tkachuk? Whoa, didn’t know about that one. Any insight on what happened?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
On TV - Pacioretty/Chara. I thought for sure he was dead.

Live in the arena - George Parros flipped on to his face as he was pulled down to the ice by a falling Colton Orr and getting KO'd. Stretcher out and everything.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Rich Peverley literally dying on the bench from a heart attack and then being brought back to life

This one, and the Jiri Fischer incident, always get me.

IIRC though, one of the first things Pevs said once he was literally brought back to life, was if he could get back out there. What a warrior.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
My list would be, and these are all TV viewing fortunately, never had any incidents like these happen at a live game:

-McCleary puck to throat
-Linden smashing Jeff Norton through the glass (a lot of people love this clip, but it gave 10 year old me nightmares...)
-Pronger slapshot to chest
-McSorley stick swing to Brashear's head
-McLaren on Zednik
-Stevens on Lindros
-Stevens on Kariya
-Bertuzzi/Moore
-Iginla fight vs... Kesler I think it was? In which Iginla severely dislocated his finger and this was shown live, his finger bent fully sideways :eek3:
-Rome/Horton
-2011 riot
-Perry/Tavares
-Schiefele/Evans

And I'm probably forgetting plenty of others...

Last edited:

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Nickelback being brought out at the Heritage Classic.

I got tickets last minute and nobody warned me that I’d have to see and hear that.

Xss

Jul 9, 2009
I was at the game Chara broke Pacciorettys neck. That was scary and the looks I was getting while in my Bruins sweater was also scary
I was also at that game and I had a Bruins fan behind me shouting that it was a clean hit... Not the smartest thing to do.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
My list would be, and these are all TV viewing fortunately, never had any incidents like these happen at a live game:

-McCleary puck to throat
-Linden smashing Jeff Norton through the glass (a lot of people love this clip, but it gave 10 year old me nightmares...)
-Pronger slapshot to chest
-McSorley stick swing to Brashear's head
-McLaren on Zednik
-Stevens on Lindros
-Stevens on Kariya
-Bertuzzi/Moore
-Iginla fight vs... Kesler I think it was? In which Iginla severely dislocated his finger and this was shown live, his finger bent fully sideways :eek3:
-Rome/Horton
-2011 riot
-Perry/Tavares
-Schiefele/Evans

And I'm probably forgetting plenty of others...
I think your the first person to mention Bertuzzi/Moore- Maby people at the time in the arena didnt thikn it was as bad as it was but obviously went on to ruin Moore's career

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I was at an Orioles game where Mike Mussina got drilled on a line drive to the head/face. I was behind the dugout and could hear the crack of the ball off the bat and then another crack as it hit Mussina. I could see blood as he fell to the ground and I truly had a moment where I thought he was dead. It was pretty awful. I couldn't find a video of the incident but did find a SABR recap of the game that talks about it. May 14, 1998: Mike Mussina takes a line drive to the face as Cleveland nips Baltimore, 5-4

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pronger collapse
Jiri Fischer getting cpr on the bench
Mogilny leg break

Watched all live on the tube.

I was at an NHL game (Whalers) as a tiny kid when a guy got drilled head first into the net post back when they didn’t pop off. I’m a paramedic and that’s still one of the bloodiest things I’ve ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad