Scariest Moments You've Seen Live

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Despite all the serious things, I 100% believed that when Byfuglien caught Stone a few years ago, Stone was going to be dead, or very seriously hurt.

The fact that he got back up like he did was crazy. He missed some time with a concussion, or some other injury, but he wasn't out/knocked unconscious from it.

I leave this part easy to edit out for a mod if it crosses the line, or starts something, but..

That hit pretty much ensured that I'll never accept women and men playing at this high of a level and the respect I give dudes who are like 5'7 and make the NHL and play every night with the possibility that some behemoth of a man might catch them like that.
You're not wrong.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Where I was only watching the game on TV live:
Jiri Fischer collapsing on the bench.

Where I was at the game:

Michael Grabner stick to the eye. That same season, Jason Demers' went hard into the post with his knee. Both were hard to watch.

Baseball Spring Training game from 20 feet behind the plate, I saw a catcher lean in too far, and take a full bat swing to the side of the head.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Two scary moments from many years ago that have stayed in my mind:

I was at a Flyers game against the California Seals. Bobby Clarke was jostling with a Seals player behind the play, Clarke turned to skate up the ice and the Seals player gave him a two-hander on top of the head from behind. Clarke went down, bleeding, and the entire Flyers bench flew off the bench and attacked the guy. I actually feared for his safety.

The other was a game between the Blackhawks and the Rangers. I think it was a playoff game but not sure. Dennis Hull, who people said shot even harder than his brother, came down the left wing and uncorked a bomb from maybe 30 feet. Hit caught Eddie Giacamin flush in the mask and Giacamin keeled over backwards like he had been shot. He lay there motionless for a while but eventually got up and actually finished the game.

Markster

Oct 13, 2019
I was at Coors Field for the Rockies vs. Braves, left field seats. Trevor Story of the Rockies launched a home run that as soon as it left the bat I could tell was coming within 3 or 4 feet from me.

If I had a glove, I could have reached for it but I was barehanded and I'm not enough of a jerk to push other people out of the way so I didnt reach for it. But I wish I had because the ball went through everybody's hands and scored a bullseye on a little girl (maybe 5 or 6 years old) one row below me ---- right off the top of her head.

The "plonkkk" sound of a baseball hitting a little girl's skull is one I don't want to hear again, ever. I assumed fractured skull at least. She was screaming (in retrospect, probably a good sign), ushers came running, her parents were freaking out, etc. Very scary situation.

Incredibly, she turned out to be fine. After they took her away and checked her out, the whole family returned to their seats 3 innings later and stayed for the rest of the game, now decked out with jerseys, hats, pennants, souvenirs, etc--- essentially every item the Rockies staff could give them.

Reactions: karltonian

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Not professional but when I was younger, watched my best friend get tripped from behind on a breakaway. Went head first into the boards. The sounds I heard that day, I hope nobody ever has to hear.

He ended up breaking his neck. Surprisingly suffered no spinal damage after they picked him up, moved him to the locker room, undressed him, and drove him to the hospital.

• Wow
Reactions: karltonian

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I remember there being a game where Henrik Lundqvist took a stick to the throat, I think by Callahan or Zuccarello? And he was out for about a month. Callahan/Zuke had their stick lifted by the other team's defender battling in front of Lundqvist or something along those lines. I want to say Talbot was the backup at the time. Can't find any info on this particular incident, just another time he took a puck to the throat.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Never seen anything scary at a game in-person, but the 2011 Vancouver riots stick out to me as a real-life "oh boy this is getting out of control" moment

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I saw the Cooke hit on savard and Rome hit on savard, both were scary, but odly the scariest thing I've seen was a puck to (I think) sturms helmet. It made a funky noise, there was blood, it was as scary as it gets. Luckily turned out it was his ear guard breaking that made the noise.

I've also seen a fan take a puck to the head and fall down unconscious. That wasn't fun, lots of blood, the Internet tells me they were okay.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Was at the rink for Simon on David Babcock. Saw Zednik get hit with the skate. Was at the rink for the Campbell hit on Umberger too.

But the worst? The 1985 Blue Angels collision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Minute Major

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I remember this being a pretty shocking moment.

I was gonna come and post this. This was brutal and it every time I played hockey I was the guy who took extra precautions to make sure the doors were closed properly because of this play. I think he played a couple weeks after this thought. RIP Bryan

I remember Boeser in his rookie season going for a hit on Clutterbuck and he bounced off him and fell on his back on the open door and suffered a season ending back injury. Seeing the pain Boeser had was frightening, I honestly thought he suffered a career ending or altering injury.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I was gonna come and post this. This was brutal and it every time I played hockey I was the guy who took extra precautions to make sure the doors were closed properly because of this play. I think he played a couple weeks after this thought. RIP Bryan

I remember Boeser in his rookie season going for a hit on Clutterbuck and he bounced off him and fell on his back on the open door and suffered a season ending back injury. Seeing the pain Boeser had was frightening, I honestly thought he suffered a career ending or altering injury.

Lindgren did the same thing and got trucked into the edge of the glass injuring his shoulder a couple years back. Clutterbuck is just a rock. There’s a reason why he has 4000 hits in his career.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
When Alex Semin laid an one-sided beatdown on Marc Staal despite the fact that Staal was completely defenseless and on the ice but Semin would not stop and kept piling on him.

Underrated comment

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Ted Green + Wayne Maki stick swinger. Green had a steel plate in his head from a stick. Maki died of a brain tumor l don’t know if that fight had anything to do with it.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
probably this, in fact I am 99% sure I am in this video walking over to the glass, unfortunately Vaske was never the same after this

• Wow
Reactions: GeNeXt

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012

One of the few times in my life I've seen an AHL game on Live TV. Kevin Westgarth and Garrett Klotz scrap by the benches , and Klotz hit his head on the boards going down. Scary stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad