Scariest Moments You've Seen Live

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
1983, sitting in the orange seats at the old Aud in Buffalo.

Puck is dumped deep into the Sabres zone. Bill Hajt from Buffalo and Eddy Beers from Calgary race to the puck. Somehow Beers loses his balance and goes awkwardly into the boards, and it looked like he took the brunt of the force with his head. I saw him convulse. It was scary. Players from both teams were shook.

Reactions: BB79

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The Steve Moore / Bertuzzi thing was alarming, because it was such a non-hockey play to pile drive a guy’s head into the ice that it seemed likely to be more than just like, a severe concussion. Not a fan of either team but for whatever reason I was tuning in and remember Bertuzzi started ignoring the play and following Moore around the ice. I guess there was a lot of lead-up with talk about there being a bounty on Moore.

Reactions: DaveG

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Steve Moore / Bertuzzi thing was alarming, because it was such a non-hockey play to pile drive a guy’s head into the ice that it seemed likely to be more than just like, a severe concussion. Not a fan of either team but for whatever reason I was tuning in and remember Bertuzzi started ignoring the play and following Moore around the ice.
I mean, we know why he did it. The Moore/Naslund hit.

In my mind, this was the end of goon hockey. You couldn't just force a guy to fight anymore. Before this there was McSorely/Brashear, but this is the one that seemed to change the game forever IMO. No more stalking guys.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, I knew I wasn't dreaming this. I was watching that one too.

Pretty sure I tuned in late for the Fischer incident. I remember seeing the replays in-game. (I grew up a Wings fan)

Weird note: I wasn't that concerned after Kozlov got KO'd by Stevens. Not sure if that's because I was too young to understand or if that's how the times were.

The Draper injury was obviously a scary one. But I feel like we didn't know just how bad that one was until after the game, and in the days following when some of the details came out. (If memory serves, it was like 3 weeks before he could eat solid food?)

Agreed. with the Draper one it didn't really come out how bad the injury was until after the game. I know he had a broken jaw, nose and cheekbone. It wouldn't surprise me if it was at least 3 weeks before he could eat solid food.

With Kozlov he got crushed but I wasn't freaking out either. Maybe it was the times.

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
I was at a Sens vs Atlanta game years back and watched someone fall from the 300 section.

Looked scary (thought the worst) but he ended up being fine. His shoe ended up hitting a lady who sold it like she was shot though. Stretcher had to come out for her (guess she saw this as a cash cow lol).

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
When they paged Chris Pronger’s wife over the PA system after he got hit in the chest with the puck and collapsed

When the trainer checked Niedermayer’s pulse after Tie Domi knocked him out

Reactions: TheAngryHank

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Seen live as in was in the arena for it? Marc Staal's eye. You just don't see a hockey player laying on the ice & reacting like that unless it's real bad.

Seen live as in on TV? the Damar Hamlin thing in the NFL.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Modern day Jeff Carter on the ice for your team in a must win game trying to hold a 1 goal lead in the last 2 minutes.

200w.gif

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Clearly Max getting his head shoved in the halfboard. Cant help but feel Zdeno meant that one after the altercation they had in the prior game. He wanted to hurt him, of course not that bad.

The Gryba hit on Eller was also pretty scary, a lot of blood came out.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Yzerman takes a puck in the eye -- The scary thing about this one was that, if you followed Yzerman, you'd seen him stone-faced in the midst of some pretty crazy pain, but here, he panicked on the ice. You could tell something was very wrong, and then came the blood. The pictures of his eye after the game are some of the more horrific injury pictures I've seen. I thought his career was over.

Bertuzzi/Moore -- This is the scariest one for me. I saw it by sheer coincidence. I was just flipping through channels as a teenager and happened to stop on the game for a couple of minutes. I don't remember if I stopped because I was aware of the tension between the two teams or if I just happened to stop and watch. Wasn't planning to watch the whole game or anything, just check in for a minute, and then boom, the NHL as we know it changes.
I remember Roenick taking a slapshot to the eye/cheek around 2004 when he was with the Flyers, playing the Rangers at MSG. Pretty crazy to hear how messed up the recovery was.

I was watching the Bertuzzi/Moore incident and also the McSorley/Brashear incidents on tv when they went down too

Reactions: DFC

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Despite all the serious things, I 100% believed that when Byfuglien caught Stone a few years ago, Stone was going to be dead, or very seriously hurt.

The fact that he got back up like he did was crazy. He missed some time with a concussion, or some other injury, but he wasn't out/knocked unconscious from it.

I leave this part easy to edit out for a mod if it crosses the line, or starts something, but..

That hit pretty much ensured that I'll never accept women and men playing at this high of a level and the respect I give dudes who are like 5'7 and make the NHL and play every night with the possibility that some behemoth of a man might catch them like that.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Jiri Fischer incident, back in 2005. Seeing the docs start CPR on him and the TV feed immediately cut to commercial was legit scary.

Saw the Chris Pronger incident back in 1998. Commotio cordis from a Lidstrom shot. AFAIK he was the first athlete who suffered it during a competition and survived.

The whole arena thought Larkin was dead when Joseph punched him in the head in December.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was at an MMA thing at The Garden and I saw somebody get knocked all the way out. He was full-on sleeping for like five minutes.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I was on a first date when Gerard Gallant accidentally stepped on Borje Salming's face after Salming had fallen in the crease. Absolutely gruesome. ~300 stitches iirc. She wasn't into sports, and she'd never been to a game before. I kept telling her all week how much she'd love it!

No second date lol. Prolly better off.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
I was at the game when McSorley chopped Brashear in the head- I was watching him skate towards him behind the play thinking he was going to challenge him to fight and couldn’t believe it when he just poleaxed him in the head . Scary when Brashear went down and didn’t move for a while!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Aside from the Chara/Pacioretty incident, Carlson taking a slap shot to the ear from Dillon and having his ear partially severed was very disturbing to watch.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
I don't think I saw Chara/Pacioretty live, but I think I flipped that game on while Pacioretty was down.

Edit: Not sure why I thought this was Lars Eller.
Came here to say the Pacioretty one.

Eller was vs Ottawa when hit by Gryba on a suicide pass by Raphael Diaz

Reactions: DFC

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
Yuri fisher on the bench, curtis fosters into the boards. seen quite a few folded limbs in football. Drapers face being smashed to bits. Theres a bunch im forgetting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad