Scariest Moments You've Seen Live

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Craig Berube cross-checking Rich Sutter from behind into the boards.

Sutter folded like an accordion then just lay motionless on the ice. The entire stadium gasped and went silent.

IIRC, Sutter was stretchered off the ice, but seemed alert and responsive. He was not seriously injured in the long run, but I've never seen the air taken out of a crowd so instantly.

Also, Rich Sutter's twin brother Ron was on the ice at the time. Ron was Berube's teammate and I don't know what would have gone down if Rich had been seriously injured.

Reactions: Summer Rose

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Tori Mitchell breaking his leg on the boards. I think that lead to an icing rule change.

Richard Zednik getting a skate to the throat was pretty scary, and reminiscent of Clint Malarchuk. There has been a fatality since then. RIP Adam Johnson.

Daymond Langkow took a puck to the back of the neck in a game years back that was pretty scary. He wasn't beat up too bad IIRC

He went into a dark place that many didn’t know about. I think only Scott knew and even then he didn’t fully know. Luckily he overcame it all

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Raffi Torres on I think Justin Williams on Detroit. I thought he killed him.

Taylor Fedun's broken femur.

Mark Messier knocking out Mike Modano. No that's not the bad part. The paramedics dropping Modano while he's strapped to the stretcher though.

Grant Fuhr's whiplash. I was young and thought he broke his neck.

Domi elbowing Niedermayer.

Scott Stevens...enough said?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
At the Arena or watching live on TV?

Watching live on TV, Bryan Berard's eye injury if we are talking NHL. I watch a decent amount of boxing, so I've seen some pretty scary knockouts, and some grusome leg injuries watching the NFL/NBA. The Berard one probably stands out because I was 11 watching Hockey Night in Canada.

Edit: Non-Hockey, the Christian Eriksen incident at the Euros or Damar Hamlin situation.

Reactions: Jack Straw

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I wasn't there live but seeing the Rich Peverly incident happen in the Stars-CBJ game was very scary.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
GGo8jr.gif

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I was at a Raleigh Icecaps afternoon game where a bad storm rolled through. The NWS had issued a tornado warning for the area. The PA announcer asked the two teams to head to their locker rooms and for spectators to huddle as close together to the rink. Dorton Arena has glass exterior, not ideal for such weather.

We huddled for about, 15 minutes I guess. At one point it was nothing but gray sheets of rain pelting the building. The power flickered a couple of times. Then it was over. IIRC there was a brief touchdown nearby but no major damage and no injuries. The game went on as scheduled. The sun actually peaked out a couple of times.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I was at that game live. Spooky feeling watching that play out.....
That would be such a bad one because it really changed Berard's career. I mean, he turned out to be a great comeback story, and inspirational, but who knows how good he might have been. Even seeing it on Sportscenter as a kid was memorable (in a bad way). I can only imagine the sick feeling of being there in person.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Was in net one time when my defenseman had his calf cut open by the skate of a guy who tried to jump over him and didn't quite clear him.

I can remember vividly watching his leg bleed out, and I can also remember the multiple times the Zamboni (okay, it was an Olympia) had to come through to clean it up.

Still makes me want to throw up when I think about it.
Someone I grew up with had his throat slashed by a skate in bantam by and opposition while battling for the puck while lying on the ice. I can still remember the “I’m about to die” look in his eyes as a thankfully nurse in the stands helped temporarily stop the bleeding while he was rushed to the hospital. Thankfully he survived.

I absolutely hate seeing players on the ice and battles for the puck all around them in the NHL now.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I've seen many, but the Byfuglien hit on Stone is probably one that comes to mind. But one time Burish threw Tanner Glass's glove near me and that was pretty damn cool.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
- Trent McCleary puck to the throat
- Donald Audette almost losing his hand after a skate cut

The following 4 all happened during playoffs :
- Chara vs Pacioretty
- Scheifele vs Evans
- McLaren vs Zednik
- Gryba vs Eller

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Todd Fedoruk getting his face shattered by Colton Orr's fist at MSG. Crowd went wild until they saw Fedoruk not moving. Scary, scary scene.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Molson Indy Vancouver - 1990. I was watching on TV and one of 4 trackworkers on the course, pushing another car, panicked... they all started running and I think Willy T Ribbs was trying to get through and one of the workers got drug under his rear tire and had massive head injuries.

Jeff Krosnoff at the Molson Indy Toronto - also killed a marshall and very fortunate more were not killed.

Most other sports injuries pale in comparison to auto racing... safest it has ever been but not completely safe.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Scariest non-hockey would have to be Cristian Eriksen basically dying on the pitch at the Euros a few years ago. Fortunately he got better.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Pacioretty getting obliterated by Chara, Jake Evans getting obliterated by Scheifele, Trent McCleary getting a puck in the throat, Donald Audette getting his wrist sliced open, Lars Eller getting blown up open ice by Eric Gryba which almost killed him, Richard Zednik getting clotheslined by Kyle McLaren after 8 pts in 4 playoff games, Saku Koivu getting slashed in the eye by Justin Williams as he was leading the playoffs in points, etc.

Somehow there have been way too many of those incidents involving Montreal in the last 20 years, often in the playoffs...

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was at this game. Bergy wasn't moving for what felt like a long time...just was lying there on the ice.

Patrice was so young but already loved by the fans. Folks were praying and crying in the stands. Some thought he was dead. His teammates were so distracted until they finally got a call that he could move his limps.

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
I saw Michel Goulet run head first into the boards. Dead silence in the Forum. It became his last game :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad