OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Leave Your Dignity at the Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh yeah. Plenty of fights. My little brother always wanted to get in on things too but we wouldn't let him so he'd come in every once in a while with a literal ballbat or something and smash the whole thing up then promptly get us all in trouble.

It all seems awfully quaint these days but I wouldn't trade those memories or experiences for any possession or amount of money. I think it all really helped me as a person... grew my brain. Here is a rare old dude moment from me but honestly I don't disdain or mock young kids today for their preferences (really their parents preferences) in entertainment. Hell... it's not like we didn't play lots of Nintendo and Sega back then. Or would rather stay in and watch TV most times as opposed to being forced outside to wail on each other with sticks and nerd toss each other into mud pits. I just mostly feel bad for them for missing out on those opportunities for actual social interaction, learning social dynamics and relying on your creativity and wits to keep you occupied and help build your reputation through, you know... real feats. Or as real as it got when you were in grade school.

Go ask an 8th grader here in 2019 how many tree forts he's built. I'm not one of these "back in the old days!" guys... far from it... but it really does feel like something special has gone by the wayside, sometimes.

I'm a little older obviously. Cable wasn't an option until I was like 10. So, 6 channels on the TV, Atari was the 'it' console, no net or private phones or computers. Whenever kids ask me in a 'did you fight for the North or South' tone about how I ever survived as a kid, I like to say 'we actually played outside'. Seriously, you're 100% spot on about social interaction.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Man we built so many forts and stuff when I was a kid. I don't agree with most of the things people claim are worse growing up these days, but the need for constant supervision seems a bit much. I think the internet and constant bad news on TV have scared us into submission.

You tell kids they can't go do **** unsupervised and also give them phones and social media, of course you get kids who sit on their phones all day.

When I was younger, unless I was half dead, the parents we like 'whatever'. :laugh:

I agree. The world can be a pretty ****ed up place sometimes, no doubt. And people really are generally pretty stupid. But it's really not that big a deal to let your kid go run amok with their friends outside a few hours a day. Or play downstairs without hovering over them the whole time.

Some of this is coming from relative privilege, though. I was lucky enough to grow up in a nice neighborhood where there even WAS an outside to play in. It also comes from a place of relative ignorance... it's easy for me to talk but I don't have kids.

I don't know. There's 'outside' everywhere. Whenever I was somewhere grass wasn't an option for football or baseball, we'd play on concrete. Rougher, sure, but see above . . .

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm a little older obviously. Cable wasn't an option until I was like 10. So, 6 channels on the TV, Atari was the 'it' console, no net or private phones or computers. Whenever kids ask me in a 'did you fight for the North or South' tone about how I ever survived as a kid, I like to say 'we actually played outside'. Seriously, you're 100% spot on about social interaction.

Cable was around when I was younger but it was kind of a rarity for a lot of people. Frankly I was never much of a TV watcher anyway as a kid. It wasn't until things like (old) History channel and Cartoon Network came around that I watched more TV. Though I did love me some USA Up All Night and Nick at Night.

I was a weird kid. I'm sure you're surprised.

Anyway I grew up in what I consider a rather weird and fairly significant era. As did more than a few here, I suspect. My younger years were filled with sled riding, fort building, pretending sticks were lightsabers, etc. You know... Calvin and Hobbes stuff. Like I said there were early video games (I begged for a Nintendo for years... my dad bought me a computer instead. He didn't consider I could play games on that, too). Then all of the sudden... bam... the birth of the internet. To say that was a game-changer is a bit of an understatement. I literally got to see it integrated into mainstream, everyday life. Kind of wild. Like having two distinct childhoods.

I don't know. There's 'outside' everywhere. Whenever I was somewhere grass wasn't an option for football or baseball, we'd play on concrete. Rougher, sure, but see above . . .

I remember playing king of the mountain on a snowy pile of rubble from an old barn they demolished down the road. I broke my arm that day but didn't know it until a day or two later when it was turning weird colors and still hurt like crazy. I'm not saying I'm some hardass but yeah... it really was kind of more of a "rub some mud on it and walk it off" attitude, then. I'm not saying that's right or wrong or whatever. It just was.

In the end I don't think people are so different. The world just becomes different around us and we adapt.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Cable was around when I was younger but it was kind of a rarity for a lot of people. Frankly I was never much of a TV watcher anyway as a kid. It wasn't until things like (old) History channel and Cartoon Network came around that I watched more TV. Though I did love me some USA Up All Night and Nick at Night.

I was a weird kid. I'm sure you're surprised.

Anyway I grew up in what I consider a rather weird and fairly significant era. As did more than a few here, I suspect. My younger years were filled with sled riding, fort building, pretending sticks were lightsabers, etc. You know... Calvin and Hobbes stuff. Like I said there were early video games (I begged for a Nintendo for years... my dad bought me a computer instead. He didn't consider I could play games on that, too). Then all of the sudden... bam... the birth of the internet. To say that was a game-changer is a bit of an understatement. I literally got to see it integrated into mainstream, everyday life. Kind of wild. Like having two distinct childhoods.

I remember playing king of the mountain on a snowy pile of rubble from an old barn they demolished down the road. I broke my arm that day but didn't know it until a day or two later when it was turning weird colors and still hurt like crazy. I'm not saying I'm some hardass but yeah... it really was kind of more of a "rub some mud on it and walk it off" attitude, then. I'm not saying that's right or wrong or whatever. It just was.

In the end I don't think people are so different. The world just becomes different around us and we adapt.

If the younger generation only knew what ESPN's original programming looked like . . . :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If the younger generation only knew what ESPN's original programming looked like . . . :laugh:

Dude... it's weird to say now but ESPN used to be like... almost required watching in my early adulthood. It would always be on when my friends and I were hanging out... and most of them didn't even much care for sports. It was simply ubiquitous.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Dude... it's weird to say now but ESPN used to be like... almost required watching in my early adulthood. It would always be on when my friends and I were hanging out... and most of them didn't even much care for sports. It was simply ubiquitous.

That's because cable options were EXTREMELY limited. Hell, AWA Wrestling was an ESPN staple back then (cc: @ColePens, @Scandale du Jour).

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
For the like... 3 people who care about guitars and music stuff there was a video leaked today of somebody (presumably contracted by Gibson) destroying over $400,000 worth of the infamous Firebird X model that they came out with a few years ago and has since become quite possibly one of the most hated guitars ever made. Much as an ill-conceived idea as it may have been... seems like a huge waste. Could have been donated to people who could actually use them. The guitar industry complains there is no interest in playing guitar and then does dumb **** like that. I have two Les Pauls, myself. One of which was my first real guitar ever and is about to turn 23 years old. And I think some people really go out of their way to **** on Gibson but man... they've really been making all the wrong moves, lately. Here's the video if anyone is curious. If nothing else it's a rather weird thing to watch even if you don't have any idea what I'm talking about or care.

ATTN: @HandshakeLin

So, why are those models hated?

And they should've used different equipment. Those types of machines are designed to exert minimal pressure to the ground. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
So, why are those models hated?

And they should've used different equipment. Those types of machines are designed to exert minimal pressure to the ground. :laugh:

Yeah good call... it didn't seem like they picked the best tool for the job. Almost seemed like the guy stepping on them first was doing as much damage.

As for why it was hated... I guess it was just too extreme of a departure from what was expected of that brand. It sounds like a stupid thing to gripe about but basically they put a shitload of new switching and effects options on a different take of an old body shape (original Firebird), asked for 3000+ dollars and people hated it. Also robo tuners. Guitar players are a pretty particular and often indecisive bunch. They'll ask for more traditional style instruments one year and then complain that the brand isn't keep up with the competition the next.

Just a shame to destroy them. Though I'm sure it's for insurance purposes or somesuch. People hated them but I'm sure most of them are fine players.

EDIT: Or were fine players, I guess.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yup. It's strictly anecdotal for me, as well but I never see any kids runnin' around in neighborhoods, riding bikes or playing street hockey in parking lots and tennis courts.

Like... I dunno if there is really a right or wrong way to grow up and experience life, necessarily. Probably not smart enough to answer that. But I suspect that actually going out and doing things that are real count for something.

I wouldn't go with right or wrong myself, but I feel like there's definitely easier and harder and that sort of upbringing is easier.

That said - I preferred the part of my childhood that had internet. Didn't really fit in with the kids nearby, could find the people I fitted in with online - and that did help me to eventually fit in with those around me.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I grew up in unincorporated parts of Butler and Venango counties and I gotta say, we didn't have a lot of social interaction until high school because our neighbors were old and all the kids my age (and my brother and sister's age) were too far away to hang out with until you could drive (both Mom and Dad worked, so we were latchkey kids). So, I read a lot, worked outside on our property or for our neighbors, but I didn't really get to do any of the fun "kids" things. :dunno:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The problem with WWE is like the same issues with EA. You get rid of your competition and your brand suffers because nothing is pushing you to be the best. I stopped watching wwe when wcw was bought out by them. Rivalry is good for business.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
One of my best friends from college had to have a feeding tube put in today. I don't know the full story but it certainly has me worried. At least he's been texting me a bit.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
The problem with WWE is like the same issues with EA. You get rid of your competition and your brand suffers because nothing is pushing you to be the best. I stopped watching wwe when wcw was bought out by them. Rivalry is good for business.

Also, Vince has an antiquated worldview that actively pushes away viewers younger than 35.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad