OT: Scandy's Rave Party: Leave Your Dignity at the Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I get that, it's just disappointing. I know Watchmen wanted to have good guys and not just all bad guys. I guess it bothers me more with Watchmen than with Marvel because Marvel seems to be more superficial changes, whereas the Watchmen changes completely flip the point of the characters. Movie Rorschach, SS, and NO are legit turned into the characters that they are satirizing in the comic. Sure they are a bit troubled, but they are depicted as legit superheroes. Comedian was characterized along the lines of how they all should have been, they just needed some good guys too.
The thing is, Watchmen has bad guys thinking they're good and that was what was portrayed to me, everyone did shit thinking they were doing it for the greater good and some were admitting to their faults and that was that. And you know why they did that with the characters, including Comedian, you have that many people that people hate and the movie bombs. No one wants to see that (back then). Today? You make that today? That movie f***ing kills with the proper comic book adaptation. Which is why the tv show should be fantastic, the time is right for it.

I think as a TV show, it'll work better because they can flesh out the story from where it leaves off.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The thing is, Watchmen has bad guys thinking they're good and that was what was portrayed to me, everyone did **** thinking they were doing it for the greater good and some were admitting to their faults and that was that. And you know why they did that with the characters, including Comedian, you have that many people that people hate and the movie bombs. No one wants to see that (back then). Today? You make that today? That movie ****ing kills with the proper comic book adaptation. Which is why the tv show should be fantastic, the time is right for it.

I think as a TV show, it'll work better because they can flesh out the story from where it leaves off.
I get why they did it, I just wish they didn't :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I haven't watched most of the DC movies mostly because they look like shit-CG (*coughsnydercough*) in the trailers. Even Wonder Woman had that aesthetic but it had good reviews so I actually went to see it.

Though I did enjoy 300 and Watchmen.

Did not care for Sucker Punch.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To be fair though, I think Snyder started them down that path with BvS. Though like I said, the about face just made it worse than continuing down that path and seeing it through. I think both of them do a good job as the characters, but I just don't like the movies.
Started what down the path? Turning Batman from a grizzled hero that was on a redemption path to being a f***ing clown?

Whedon turned Aquaman into a #metoo nightmare, eye raping Wonder Woman. That's all Whedon, a guy that had his own issues and was subsequently fired from Batgirl because of it and took a "hiatus" to wash himself from that stink of his allegations from his ex-wife and others. Even in Avengers, the guy was all about tit jokes and making Black Widow a sex object to be staring at, in the other films, she's less sexualized and more of an agent.

He was the equivalent of the guy that wanks off in Sons of Anarchy, the studio should have cut his hands off and dumped his ass and brought back Snyder asap, sad it didn't happen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Started what down the path? Turning Batman from a grizzled hero that was on a redemption path to being a ****ing clown?
Down the path of needing a reboot because their movie was trash. Not the actors fault, and probably not entirely his either, but still.
Whedon turned Aquaman into a #metoo nightmare, eye raping Wonder Woman. That's all Whedon, a guy that had his own issues and was subsequently fired from Batgirl because of it and took a "hiatus" to wash himself from that stink of his allegations from his ex-wife and others.

He was the equivalent of the guy that wanks off in Sons of Anarchy, the studio should have cut his hands off and dumped his ass and brought back Snyder asap, sad it didn't happen.
Whedon coming in and being even worse doesn't make what Snyder made any better though. Like I said, I'm confident that Snyder's cut of JL was better than Whedon's, but I bet it still sucked.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I get why they did it, I just wish they didn't :laugh:
Oh for sure, it's all about timing with these movies and I didn't like Watchmen at first, I actually despised it and left the theatres angry and dug into my Watchmen comics to cleanse my mind of it.

But over time, I think it was 2-3yrs later or whatever, someone showed me the Ultimate Edition Cut and I let the bias of the comic shut off to enjoy it.

It's my struggle with the Marvel movies, give me a few years, I'll tell you how much I love them then. :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh for sure, it's all about timing with these movies and I didn't like Watchmen at first, I actually despised it and left the theatres angry and dug into my Watchmen comics to cleanse my mind of it.

But over time, I think it was 2-3yrs later or whatever, someone showed me the Ultimate Edition Cut and I let the bias of the comic shut off to enjoy it.

It's my struggle with the Marvel movies, give me a few years, I'll tell you how much I love them then. :laugh:
I didn't see it in theaters, so my first view was the ultimate. And I hadn't read the comics yet at the time. So I actually liked it more the first time than I do now :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Down the path of needing a reboot because their movie was trash. Not the actors fault, and probably not entirely his either, but still.

Whedon coming in and being even worse doesn't make what Snyder made any better though. Like I said, I'm confident that Snyder's cut of JL was better than Whedon's, but I bet it still sucked.

Affleck did a fine job of the version of Batman they were showing, he was the bright spot in BvS and it was a huge departure of what he was portraying to what Whedon turned him into. He dumbed Batman down and made it virtually useless in the movie. From the accounts of everyone that was part of the Snyder cut, it was showing that he was putting together a movie that wasn't going to let what he wanted the franchise to be, down. He was hitting all of the right notes and then the studio freaked for some reason thanks to Marvel doing what they do best the way they do it and them wanting it to be that way and hired Whedon.

Whedon dumbed down characters, changed the story, removed so much that most of it didn't even make sense anymore and then the shitty CGI for Superman's lip...it was a shit show. I used to think Whedon could do no wrong, but after that, man...I can't stand him at all. For a so called comic book fan, he seemed to only have 1 solution, throw in bad jokes and sexualize Wonder Woman. When I look back on his work now, that stuff stands out to me, I can't even watch stuff of his I liked without spotting that crap because he's a piece of crap.

It's like watching Spacey's previous work. I can't watch it without seeing the sick f*** in him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I didn't see it in theaters, so my first view was the ultimate. And I hadn't read the comics yet at the time. So I actually liked it more the first time than I do now :laugh:
Haha, so the opposite of me.

To be fair though, expecting 100% adaptations is absurd, some stuff just doesn't translate well at all and Marvel has done a good job of changing and cutting just enough of it to not piss off the comic book purists but also make them happy with other shiny stuff as a distraction and focal point.

DC needed to do its own thing and stick to it. Wonder Woman to me at first viewing was good, seeing it on netflix recently, I don't really like it.

Aquaman seeing it multiple times, I do like and enjoy and same with Shazam, both movies are steps in the right direction for being more complete movies to the source material and spirit. It's closer to how Marvel has achieved their success with characters, by changing the right things and keeping the right things.

Shazam was just so well done imo, they set up the right things for Black Adam and the family. I just wonder now if they can still do the shared universe with Pattinson as Batman (a guy I think will do very well in that role and has the right director for it). But not in a shared Marvel universe sort of way.

Just intersect. Until it's ready to share fully.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Affleck did a fine job of the version of Batman they were showing, he was the bright spot in BvS and it was a huge departure of what he was portraying to what Whedon turned him into. He dumbed Batman down and made it virtually useless in the movie. From the accounts of everyone that was part of the Snyder cut, it was showing that he was putting together a movie that wasn't going to let what he wanted the franchise to be, down. He was hitting all of the right notes and then the studio freaked for some reason thanks to Marvel doing what they do best the way they do it and them wanting it to be that way and hired Whedon.

Whedon dumbed down characters, changed the story, removed so much that most of it didn't even make sense anymore and then the ****ty CGI for Superman's lip...it was a **** show. I used to think Whedon could do no wrong, but after that, man...I can't stand him at all. For a so called comic book fan, he seemed to only have 1 solution, throw in bad jokes and sexualize Wonder Woman. When I look back on his work now, that stuff stands out to me, I can't even watch stuff of his I liked without spotting that crap because he's a piece of crap.

It's like watching Spacey's previous work. I can't watch it without seeing the sick **** in him.
I agree Affleck was good in BvS. Martin Freeman did an amazing job playing Bilbo in the Hobbit movies too. Sadly, a good performance can't save a bad movie. Though to your point, a good follow-up would have been enough to keep him going in the franchise.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
To be fair though, expecting 100% adaptations is absurd, some stuff just doesn't translate well at all and Marvel has done a good job of changing and cutting just enough of it to not piss off the comic book purists but also make them happy with other shiny stuff as a distraction and focal point.
I get that too. Again, it's not that it's not 100% accurate. It's that it was so accurate in so many ways, and then in those few ways it isn't just inaccurate, it is like 100% the opposite of the comic.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I haven't watched most of the DC movies mostly because they look like ****-CG (*coughsnydercough*) in the trailers. Even Wonder Woman had that aesthetic but it had good reviews so I actually went to see it.

Though I did enjoy 300 and Watchmen.

Did not care for Sucker Punch.
Did you watch Aquaman and Shazam? Better yet, watch Titans on Netflix, the show really takes off after episode 2, the whole Hawk & Dove storyline is shit, but the rest is fantastic. Doom Patrol is fun and quirky af but fun, Swamp Thing is actually really f***ing good and sad that they finally got something 100% right and cancel it. Figures, DC studio heads being idiots.

Sucker Punch was a fun visual movie, story was just too out of whack.

Titans though, Season 2 is shaping up to be a huge one.

They have cast Super boy, Krypton (his dog, ha), Batman (Iain Glenn), Esai Morales as Deathstroke...it's looking pretty good from the preview.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Did you watch Aquaman and Shazam? Better yet, watch Titans on Netflix, the show really takes off after episode 2, the whole Hawk & Dove storyline is ****, but the rest is fantastic. Doom Patrol is fun and quirky af but fun, Swamp Thing is actually really ****ing good and sad that they finally got something 100% right and cancel it. Figures, DC studio heads being idiots.

Sucker Punch was a fun visual movie, story was just too out of whack.

Shazam and Doom Patrol are on my "gotta watch" list.

Swamp Thing is something I loved as an 8 year old. Don't know much about the new, brief show (other than the stupid cancellation reason).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Shazam and Doom Patrol are on my "gotta watch" list.

Swamp Thing is something I loved as an 8 year old. Don't know much about the new, brief show (other than the stupid cancellation reason).

Swamp Thing does the source material justice even with the changes that I was skeptical about. I didn't even want to watch it when I heard after episode 1, they cancelled it. I had thought it was because it was horrible. But then everyone I know that are into comics, told me I needed to see it (I am the only big DC fan out of them, so it was odd for them to tell me I needed to watch it when they're Marvel fanatics).

You didn't see Aquaman yet?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
that sums up the whole problem with the characterization of those two and Rorschach basically. The movie romanticizes them for exactly what the comics criticize them for.
Oh yeah, I hated that scene then and hate it now. It's the cringiest sex scene.
I was a big Watchmen comic fan. The Zack Snyder take on it was so dumb. Hallelujah during a sex scene? Ugh.

Plus, the whole point of that sex scene was for it to be awkward not romantic.
Well, I sure as shit felt awkward watching that scene, I visually and audibly cringed in theaters during it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
yeah it is terrible. At least the badass fight scenes and everything in the prison are fun to turn your brain off and watch, even if they annoy me just as much when my brain is turned on.
My gf hates the movie and after reading my comics, has stuck to hating it.

She mocks me for playing video games and being into them, then asks me to find her all the books for The Witcher series so she can read them because she has a hard on for Cavill.

Yet we guys are pervs.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
My gf hates the movie and after reading my comics, has stuck to hating it.

She mocks me for playing video games and being into them, then asks me to find her all the books for The Witcher series so she can read them because she has a hard on for Cavill.

Yet we guys are pervs.
I just got all the Witcher audiobooks. I also own all the games. I've yet to read or play any of them. Actually I played some of the first game way back in the day. I need to get on that.

Hopefully the series is good.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just got all the Witcher audiobooks. I also own all the games. I've yet to read or play any of them. Actually I played some of the first game way back in the day. I need to get on that.

Hopefully the series is good.
I've only played 2, not 3 and even that I played for like 45mins and she just happened to be sitting and watching. Later around the time I had finally even played that much, news of Cavill being cast as Geralt hit the news and she was suddenly a huge fan of the f***ing story out of nowhere.

I'm still only 40% of the way through Red Dead Redemption 2. I've had that game for like 10~ months now.

Did you see Cavill in the wig and clean shaven look? It looks hilariously bad.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yep! At this point if it's an adaptation of some sort it'll always be lose-lose.

You and your ninja-edits.

If the adaption involves a lose-lose scenario, maybe it's a sign that it shouldn't be done.

Admittedly I am way more grumpy about these things than I should be and I quite liked Watchmen, but I'd prefer it if they were far more cautious about adaptions than they were. Also, if they'd waited and made it now as a mini-series, that would been by far the best chance it had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad