Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for the update. I am relieved to learn Barbara did not suffer in her final days. Also that she squeezed her husbands hand a little tighter when she learned of how much she meant to us here on the HF boards community. Thanks for sharing that part.

We are sharing her stories. I like reading them in such a sad moment. My story is no different. What I will take away from her, is her fairness, and treating of others as equals. This is what I got from her most. Whenever you reached out to Fugu. You knew you were in good hands. You were going to get a fair minded and well thought out opinion. There was no ego at all. She was the best we had here.

My thoughts and condolences go out to her family. She will be missed for sure. But will never be forgotten. I know she is reading this thread from above.

Thanks Barbara.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I've been a bit away from HF for the past couple years. I had some arguments with Fugu when I was a moderator, but after now hearing she had cancer, I hope I didn't cause for any unnecessary stress, considering moderating a hockey forum is one of the least important positions in the universe.

RIP Fugu. :(

You were one of the nicest people on HF. I know you helped a lot of people in tough situations. You will be missed.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
I just saw this. She definitely was a solid contributor. I am very sorry for your loss. HF has changed a lot since those days. I haven’t been very active last couple of years.
My advice to you is don’t try to shield yourself from your emotions, now is the time for grief. It will help in the future.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The biggest reason these boards have persisted and thrived were because of Barb. May we carry her legacy on and keep her memory alive through the 1000s of people she’s interacted with. As one of the few women on this board, I can’t thank her enough for paving the way to be strong willed and voice your opinions. Thanks Foogs, you were the Stevie Y of hockey on the Internet.

Rest In Peace Fugu, you are still very loved and will be missed dearly.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
It's amazing to read how many were impacted by this one person, yet it just makes this seem that much more unfair, **** cancer indeed.

My deepest condolences to her friends and family.

Puffer was an amazing person. She was always there if you needed something, and she was both Mother and friend to a lot of us, especially in the modding community. She gave a crap. It didn't matter if you barely knew her, or if you'd known her for years. She always there, and she was a genuine person who gave a crap.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Dammit, I don’t even know where to begin on this.

I remember when she first became a mod, then all the years we were admins together.

We butted heads...a lot. Both of us being very strong willed women, we had some epic battles with each other over the years. But, we also shared quite a few laughs. At the end of the day we always had respect for each other.

In the years since I left the mod ranks, we’ve had conversations about Stevie Y. And shared jokes about our teams playing against each other in the playoffs.

Barb gave a lot to this community on HF. She cared a great deal for everyone she worked and came into contact with.

This one hurts. She will be missed.
After now finding out she passed away, I searched to find out if you still post here. Both female HF dark blues, and you are the one who first made me a moderator (despite my awful infraction history) of the vBookies forum just because I posted the MLB odds.

Well it's good to see you're still alive. :)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Funny story. Back in my undergrad days I worked closing shifts at the campus library one semester, so I'd be up and on here until 2am or so. She, being a bit of a night owl and living in the PNW, and I had occasional private chats just as friends. Nothing about the site usually. I forgot how it came up, but I mentioned to her how one of my favorite bands had released a video for a new song with some awesome visuals that she might dig. I warned her she would probably hate the music, though.

Fugu ever the open-minded lady shot back, asking me how I would know if she would like it or not. I linked her the video, this video:

She never mentioned it again, so I just assumed she wasn't really into progressive death metal very much :laugh:

Awesome story. And I don't blame her :laugh:

How awful that this bad news came so soon after the announcement. My condolences to her loved ones.

RIP FuGu

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Another one:

I became a moderator sometime in 2011, I think August or September maybe (I remember being kind of worried about an infraction I had received during the Boston/Vancouver SCF series for a very off-color joke I made :laugh:). At first I was just another light blue on the Predators forum, but in my first couple of weeks I guess I bothered them all enough with my reports of NHL Talk posts I couldn't moderate that they threw me on the NHL board, too.

Fast forward to the Boston/Vancouver rematch game and the main board GDT. That game went to shit, as did the thread, and a handful of us spent the entire time deleting things en masse. I was still a newb, and this was the first high-traffic shit show I had ever been involved in so naturally I made a mistake.

I deleted every single thread ban on accident, and I'm not even sure how many people we had on the list by that point. It could have been 50 or more, easily. Embarrassed and not wanting to have others clean up my mess, I spent a while after the game re-banning a bunch of folks who had been released (if I remember correctly, the thread was closed for reaching 1,000 posts shortly after I finished, so everyone was unbanned in the new thread anyway).

I guess Fugu noticed how big of a non-social-life-having loser I was that day because the next time I logged on I was a global moderator all of the sudden. Not even a question asking if I wanted to do it. She just flipped the switch and that was that.

She definitely teased me about mistakes I made, and every now and then my long-winded ass would annoy her with entirely too many words used to defend a point I was making, but at the end of the day, particularly back then, I felt like she had my back.

P.S. I also bothered her once about getting the "golden watch" award for having been an admin for a while. She replied something like "Ugh, do you really want one? I was thinking about just getting rid of them altogether." I told her it wasn't a big deal and to not worry about it.

Yeah look who has a golden watch now, though. I won one, but only one! :laugh:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Fugu was the consummate mother - both in real life and here on HF. She would pick us up when we were down and put us in our place when we got ahead of ourself. She was always there when we needed advice, whether it was in our own personal lives or here on the boards.

This on its own shows she enabled such endearing qualities but the context of it really takes it to another level. Consider that she had virtually no face to face interaction with most on here, all strangers behind an avatar and username, and she showed such kindness and compassion to people that she didn't even know - even in tough situations. She was a remarkable person and will be missed.

She helped create and embody the culture on this site, and we owe it to her to keep it going.

Rest in peace Barb.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
this makes me sad. While we never talked in person--we had quite a few messages back and force and we talked about person stuff and things like that--

FUGU makes the 3 person I have known in 5 months who has died of Cancer

as someone who is never at a loss for words

I have lost both my parents and I was not at a loss for words when they died

today I am

and I think about a TV show I saw a few years ago when a mother berated her kid for calling the people he met on line as his friends

she was my friend and it is strange to feel the way I feel today talking about the passing of someone I never met

Kristia

Old folks home..
Mar 10, 2006
Tampa Bay Area....
:)
After now finding out she passed away, I searched to find out if you still post here. Both female HF dark blues, and you are the one who first made me a moderator (despite my awful infraction history) of the vBookies forum just because I posted the MLB odds.

Well it's good to see you're still alive. :)

Thank you:laugh:
Yes, I’m still around. I read more than post these days.

I took a chance and you did a pretty good job. You did a ton of work on both Vbookie boards. Made my job easier. :D

It’s been crazy reflecting back on all the years that she and I worked together, the good and bad times. It’s strange thinking of this place without her here.

R. I. P. Barb

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I guess Fugu noticed how big of a non-social-life-having loser I was that day because the next time I logged on I was a global moderator all of the sudden. Not even a question asking if I wanted to do it. She just flipped the switch and that was that.
:laugh: She did that to me, too. It was after the 2015 playoffs (3ish months after becoming light blue) and came on and opened my Pms to congrats messages about becoming purple before I was even aware (in fact one of them was you I think :laugh:). I messaged foogs and was like "Foogs when did I become purple?" And she's like "made you one overnight, figured you wouldn't mind ;))". But it was funny how I'm reading messages congratulating me before I even know :laugh:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Another one:

I became a moderator sometime in 2011, I think August or September maybe (I remember being kind of worried about an infraction I had received during the Boston/Vancouver SCF series for a very off-color joke I made :laugh:). At first I was just another light blue on the Predators forum, but in my first couple of weeks I guess I bothered them all enough with my reports of NHL Talk posts I couldn't moderate that they threw me on the NHL board, too.

Fast forward to the Boston/Vancouver rematch game and the main board GDT. That game went to ****, as did the thread, and a handful of us spent the entire time deleting things en masse. I was still a newb, and this was the first high-traffic **** show I had ever been involved in so naturally I made a mistake.

I deleted every single thread ban on accident, and I'm not even sure how many people we had on the list by that point. It could have been 50 or more, easily. Embarrassed and not wanting to have others clean up my mess, I spent a while after the game re-banning a bunch of folks who had been released (if I remember correctly, the thread was closed for reaching 1,000 posts shortly after I finished, so everyone was unbanned in the new thread anyway).

She definitely teased me about mistakes I made, and every now and then my long-winded ass would annoy her with entirely too many words used to defend a point I was making, but at the end of the day, particularly back then, I felt like she had my back.

P.S. I also bothered her once about getting the "golden watch" award for having been an admin for a while. She replied something like "Ugh, do you really want one? I was thinking about just getting rid of them altogether." I told her it wasn't a big deal and to not worry about it.

Yeah look who has a golden watch now, though. I won one, but only one! :laugh:
TMI, you and I have been through a lot here together. I'm still crying half the day and finding it difficult to put my emotions into words. I haven't been able to do that yet. It's just all still too overwhelming. But your stories are kick starting the healing process for me. Thanks.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
:)

Thank you:laugh:
Yes, I’m still around. I read more than post these days.

I took a chance and you did a pretty good job. You did a ton of work on both Vbookie boards. Made my job easier. :D

It’s been crazy reflecting back on all the years that she and I worked together, the good and bad times. It’s strange thinking of this place without her here.

R. I. P. Barb
It's nice to see you again Kristia, present circumstances excepted.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am at a loss for words and have been for two days. One of the first true HF friends I made and a major reason I got so hooked on being around this place. An amazing person and like others have said one that could talk to you about seemingly everything. Taken far too soon.

Rest in peace Barb, I know I will never forget you and the impact you have had on me and several others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad