Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Well said all... those who have posted & those that will follow.... couldnt agree more with your sentiments. She & I were very close indeed, sharing laughter & joy, tears & sorrow, everything imaginable beyond just our mutual love for the game and business of hockey & its history. Working very very closely together for many a year. I knew what was happening, coming, but that really doesnt help much as others have noted.

To so many she was like a Mother Hen, touching peoples lives in meaningful & almost always wonderful ways. She was for many years the glue that held this place together & for that, we all owe her a huge debt of gratitude & thanks. Rare combination of serious IQ, intellect, perception, critical thought, objectivity, empathy, kindness & generosity.... She pushed people to be their best, to think things through critically, analytically. Professor/Student. Absolutely brilliant mind.

She gave it her best shot, always feisty, a fighter but Cancer..... odious killer that takes so very often the best & brightest and here we are yet again. Life, I'm afraid at times... just so unfair..... Godspeed Barbara.... soon all will be revealed... the wonder & beauty of life, of everlasting energy, a journey that is neverending, infinite..... So not farewell but adieu, for we'll meet again. And... thank you. Drop by anytime. I'll know when your around Kiddo... DSOM mysteriously echoing through the old Tannoys..... the sound of a Didgeridoo wafting through a summers breeze....

Well said, Killion. Well said.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Clicking 'like' isn't enough at all. I only got to know of Barbara (if I may use her name now that it was shared) early on in my time here and through an unfortunate bit of conflict on the Flyers board when a number of prominent posters were banned. I had an immediate negative impression but I fully realize that was only through my very limited perspective of the circumstances and bias towards some of the fellow posters. In the wider sense, however, it gave me some insight into the administrative and structural workings of HF Boards. This in turn awoke an appreciation for the work that she and others did so I can (mostly) freely spout inanities with people around the world who come together out of a shared love of hockey and/or my team.

Barbara and others, please accept my great thanks for your work here that so often goes unnoticed to the thousands of posters.

Barbara, be comforted and surrounded by love in this world and blessed in the next. From someone who never knew you and wish I had.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I've also been told that when she was told about all of the activity here including the fundraising for BCRF, although she was heavily sedated her breathing changed and she squeezed her hand tightly, so she definitely knew and understood (and I assume, appreciated).

She'd be embarrassed by the attention here, undoubtedly, but I think she'd be proud of how many people she's touched here.

I'll mention our fundraising link here one more time:
HFBoards Donation to BCRF in Honor of Fugu/Barbara.

You don't have to give anything, and certainly don't give more than you can. If our collective donation makes a difference in the life of just one person suffering from breast cancer, I think Barbara would really appreciate it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I cant say I knew her well other then passing comments in different threads but it is truly amazing to see the kind of impact one person can have simply by being a part of an online community. Truly speaks to the kind of person she was to leave this kind of impact on a website like this. Rest easy FuGu I am sure that no matter how massive your impact on this site it is but a fraction of what you are leaving behind this world. Hope her family can keep their head up.

Sep 19, 2008
Absolutely terrible news to hear. She was one of the best on these message boards, and I honestly mean that from the bottom of my heart. The advice she gave out on so many personal topics to me was invaluable and advice I still listen to today. May she RIP.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm sad to report that Barbara passed away at around 4am PDT this morning. I've been told that she did not suffer in her final days, and that she appreciated everyone's friendship here.​

Find it hard to “like” this post so will just reply and say Rest In Peace, and to Barbara’s family , sorry for your loss.

member 157595

Once cancer metastasizes, it can be very tough to defeat. The key is to identify and isolate it before it spreads, and unfortunately that's not possible much of the time no matter what patients and doctors do.

Very sad. Very, very sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad