Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I tapped on this thread not really knowing what or who the OP was talking about, so I clearly never had the pleasure of chatting with her. But this forum has been a favorite of mine for over a decade, and if she was one of the main reasons for that, then please accept my contribution, and my deepest sympathies to everyone that knew her on here, and especially to her family.

We may irritate the living piss out of each other at times, but we are still a community after all and need to lean on one another in the most difficult times.

May she Rest In Peace :(

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I've sat here for the last day or so, replaying conversations Fugu and I've had over the years. Some made me smile, or laugh. While others made me shed a tear or two.

The love that Fugu had for HFBoards and the people that frequent here was truly amazing. It seemed that she always had time to give helpful advice, provide a strong debate or just simply be there when you
needed her.

For all of this, I want to say from the bottom of my heart. Thank You, I'll miss you.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
We live trying to leave a mark, make a difference, be someone who will one day continue living in memories of others because we did good in this world. Our legacy and how people remember us is (at least to me) what matters most, and not material things.

I can't speak of her legacy with her family, but I imagine she was great at that as well. What I and many others who frequent this board can comment on is on her legacy here. I am not sure if anyone from her familiy saw this thread, but if you did, please know that your mom, wife, sister, daughter and friend touched so many lives with what she did here. As I said before I didn't communicate with her a great deal, but reading her posts, seeing how others talked with her and reading what some are saying here you can see how special she was.

Rest in peace Fugu.

Last edited:

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
As sad as these news are, if I draw from my own experience with my dad, I spent the last couple of days praying that he would draw his last breath - so that the nightmare the cancer created would finally be over for him.

The moment he passed was both an undescribable pain and sadness, but at the same time a relief.

Reading the news today, actually made me cry. I hate the pure hell cancer makes good people go through, with a deep passion.

At times like these I think even more about a life after death...or I hope.

Rest in peace Fugu, may the angels carry you to the loved ones that are hopefully waiting for you.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I'm truely in tears. So much respect for Fugu.

Truth be told, we always got along great and had a falling out and she threatened to De-mod me and I threatened to step down. I felt bad about it afterwards and apologized many times to her and a few months later, I revelealed to her I'm going through a divorce and needed to step down and she sympathized with me and realized why it all happened. But until yesterday I had no idea what she was going through, which is a good life lesson. You might be going through your own issues but if someone is treating you poorly, they could just have personal stuff going on that you have no idea about. Always keep that in mind.

Rest in peace "foogs".

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I've also been told that when she was told about all of the activity here including the fundraising for BCRF, although she was heavily sedated her breathing changed and she squeezed her hand tightly, so she definitely knew and understood (and I assume, appreciated).

She'd be embarrassed by the attention here, undoubtedly, but I think she'd be proud of how many people she's touched here.

I'll mention our fundraising link here one more time:
HFBoards Donation to BCRF in Honor of Fugu/Barbara.

You don't have to give anything, and certainly don't give more than you can. If our collective donation makes a difference in the life of just one person suffering from breast cancer, I think Barbara would really appreciate it.

Probably the one time you wished your username was something different.

RIP and my condolences to Fugu and her family.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Funny story. Back in my undergrad days I worked closing shifts at the campus library one semester, so I'd be up and on here until 2am or so. She, being a bit of a night owl and living in the PNW, and I had occasional private chats just as friends. Nothing about the site usually. I forgot how it came up, but I mentioned to her how one of my favorite bands had released a video for a new song with some awesome visuals that she might dig. I warned her she would probably hate the music, though.

Fugu ever the open-minded lady shot back, asking me how I would know if she would like it or not. I linked her the video, this video:

She never mentioned it again, so I just assumed she wasn't really into progressive death metal very much :laugh:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
This really is hitting me hard. I’ve had many conversations over the years with her and she helped me immensely to find employment in my field when I first moved out west. This really hurts bad.
Many people say it after someone passes, but Fugu really was a really good person. I would have said that before all this happened, as would many others. The amount of work she put in as a volunteer on this site is insane. She did so much for the site and people on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad