Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Back in 2015 when I was in high school, I was going through some really tough times and made some threads on the Lounge about what was going on with me. Someone told me to talk to Fugu and she really helped me out. She was so easy to talk to and gave me some great advice at a time where I felt as if I had no one to go to. I'll never forget that.

Rest In Peace.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
There was this time back in 2013 or 2014 maybe when I was complaining about not really fitting in well in the South, and Barb told me I should move it to Washington State. She was giving the pitch you'd expect, talking about how beautiful it is and how the weather is actually pretty nice and I would fit in better for sure.

I jokingly said I'd move up there if I could crash at her place. She told me to come on, and then added the cherry on top of the pitch by telling me that a certain plant is legal in that area :laugh:

The lady knew me well, and I had to briefly wonder if she was being serious because that's the kind of person she will always be to me.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
There are tears right now. Fugu helped me to be a far better mod than I was when I started. She always coached with respect and was very kind. I had quite a bit of interaction with her in the early Jets days, and she always seemed to have a soft spot for our sub.

I lost my mother to cancer a couple of years ago - I feel like I just lost my HF mom.
Hi Jet. Long time no talk. I hope you are well. :nod:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Hey CM! (another one of my mentors :) )

I'm doing well, living in Florida so can't complain :D
Whoah! Florida! That's a little warmer than Winnipeg. :laugh:

I am flattered that you consider me to be one of your mentors Jet. We certainly had some lengthy, heart-felt and honest talks, didn't we. :nod:

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i never had any interaction with fugu. honestly had never heard of her until i saw this thread but from what many posters are saying about her she seemed like an all around great person

RIP

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
As a lurker more than a commentator I never had any interaction with Fugu but certainly saw the great work she did and very much appreciated her keeping these boards civil. My condolences to her husband and family and may she rest in peace.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I also remember a time I posted a very inappropriate joke about Fugu in the Lounge. I received an infraction for my troubles by another mod and I wrote her (as ballsy as I was) to get it reversed. I did not :laugh:

Then she's the one who wrote me about becoming mod like 4-5 years later and I assumed she forgot. A couple months later when I became global she said something along the lines of "I've officially forgiven you for that joke you made about me ;)".

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Just lost a friend to cancer, so reading this definitely made my heart sink again.

May she Rest In Peace and her family find peace through this devastating time.
Having seen what cancer has done to my grandparents and my friend, I hope one day all forms of it can be treatable. You slowly watch a loved one die.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Just lost a friend to cancer, so reading this definitely made my heart sink again.

May she Rest In Peace and her family find peace through this devastating time.
Having seen what cancer has done to my grandparents and my friend, I hope one day all forms of it can be treatable. You slowly watch a loved one die.

for me she makes 3 in 4 months to die from cancer--none made it to 60

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
So I'm going through my old HFBoards email address where on the previous forum I had all PM notifications forwarded to. I just wanted to find some conversations I had with Fugu but I did find that apparently I was told by another mod that she had cancer 2 years ago.

Now I'm bummed I never reached out to her and that I completely forgot about it.

The PM was one of those "you didn't hear this from me" type of things so I must have not wanted to mention to Fugu that I heard about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad