Saying goodbye to Fugu - Update: Obituary in OP

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Such a terrible loss. I will miss her.

We exchanged PMs now and again. She was always insightful and encouraging.

Amazingly, she knew to check in with me from the tone of my posts when I was suffering through a difficult personal transition.

It's really hard to make a true personal friend on an electronic chatboard, but Fugu is a true friend.

Farewell, good friend. I will pray for you and your family.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I never met her, but I am saddened to hear of her condition.

I will do the one thing we should ALL do, and make a contribution to the posted cause.

edit- took me 7 minutes to click the link and donate. You can donate any amount, donate what you feel is appropriate.

Do it as a sign of respect for her and others..... :thumbu:

Resized_20180919_000044.jpeg

Last edited:

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
It breaks my heart to hear this. To see how many people on here that she touched, my respect for her grows even more.

Thank you for bringing me on board the mod team when I was a silly kid barely old enough to be on this forum. I grew up here, in large part due to Fugu being a mother to the moderators. It’s been a couple years since we last interacted but I have always appreciated how she took the time to develop a personal relationship with each one of us, taking time out of her busy day to check up on me when she knew something was wrong. I was honored to have worked with her and had personal conversations with her.

Thank you for everything Fugu. I wish I had shown my appreciation for you more when you were here. f*** cancer.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well said all... those who have posted & those that will follow.... couldnt agree more with your sentiments. She & I were very close indeed, sharing laughter & joy, tears & sorrow, everything imaginable beyond just our mutual love for the game and business of hockey & its history. Working very very closely together for many a year. I knew what was happening, coming, but that really doesnt help much as others have noted.

To so many she was like a Mother Hen, touching peoples lives in meaningful & almost always wonderful ways. She was for many years the glue that held this place together & for that, we all owe her a huge debt of gratitude & thanks. Rare combination of serious IQ, intellect, perception, critical thought, objectivity, empathy, kindness & generosity.... She pushed people to be their best, to think things through critically, analytically. Professor/Student. Absolutely brilliant mind.

She gave it her best shot, always feisty, a fighter but Cancer..... odious killer that takes so very often the best & brightest and here we are yet again. Life, I'm afraid at times... just so unfair..... Godspeed Barbara.... soon all will be revealed... the wonder & beauty of life, of everlasting energy, a journey that is neverending, infinite..... So not farewell but adieu, for we'll meet again. And... thank you. Drop by anytime. I'll know when your around Kiddo... DSOM mysteriously echoing through the old Tannoys..... the sound of a Didgeridoo wafting through a summers breeze....

What an absolutely beautiful post, so eloquently put togheter. In my years here I didn't interact much with Fugu, but reading her posts, seeing how others acted when she was involved in discussions, you just knew she was an immense part of this community and that people held her and still do in the highest of regards.

All the best Fugu, may you find comfort and love in the rest of the days on this rock and say "hi" to Octopi and Parabola when you see them and tell them we miss them.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Such a terrible loss. I will miss her.

We exchanged PMs now and again. She was always insightful and encouraging.

Amazingly, she knew to check in with me from the tone of my posts when I was suffering through a difficult personal transition.

It's really hard to make a true personal friend on an electronic chatboard, but Fugu is a true friend.

Farewell, good friend. I will pray for you and your family.

This. So much this.

Homegirl is, and always be, a rock and a star in my books.

She has been a lot of people's "2nd mom" here. It wasn't about hockey to her; it was more about connecting with fellow humans, and making sure she could do all she could to help.

As a mod, I dreaded the blue inbox notification, but it was always an immediate relief when I saw she was the sender.

f***, this hurts. She was one of the first people I came out to. She's a graceful beaut.

Take care of our Goo, universe.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I don't remember seeing or interacting with this person, but having lost my own mother to breast cancer, I can understand how devastating this must be for her herself and her family. I wish her and her family all the best against this horrible disease. I really wish no one ever had to go through this, it's not normal that us humans should be afflicted with such things.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Barbara, this news is very hard to take for all of us here who got to know you over the years. But you carried yourself with such grace and courage throughout that I am sure you have found peace. My thoughts go out to your family, who I know must realise how proud you were of them. They can take solace in knowing that you will always be with them, just as you will always be a part of this place..

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
The honest truth is that Fugu played a heavy influence on me getting a moderation position and helping HFBoards from 2012 - 2017. Fugu was one of my favorite moderators to talk with and helped me with some personal issues in the past. Fugu was always helpful and a great influence on me, as well as a great moderator. It is very sad for me to sit here reading this news today.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
This is truly heartbreaking. Nobody deserves to go through such an awful and unfair battle, one that has likely touched us all in some way, shape or form through our lives. Finding this out yesterday honestly made my heart sink, the rest of my day was a bit of a drag. Still feeling it today. It's just there in the heart and mind.

Whoever said in this thread "when you think of HF Boards, you think of Fugu", it rings so true. She left her mark here in which her legacy will live on. She is honestly the pillar and foundation of the inter webs largest, most active hockey message board community. 110,000+ members. Near 40,000,000 posted messages. All on the back of her volunteering her time, in which as a Mother, a Wife, a Friend, she didn't have to do. Truth be told to many here, HF Boards is no different of a hobby than Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. That is pretty impressive, and if you enjoy this site, you have Fugu to thank for that.

Fugu messaged me in June of 2011 to be an original Jets mod along side @Hank Chinaski. She went above and beyond to help us out and get us and the board on our way. Always an open ear and a lending hand she was... regardless of being the busiest person on this entire site :laugh: - She made time for you. Any time. Every time.

To Fugu's family, friends and loved ones, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Thank you, Fugu. God bless you.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Fugu was so kind and understanding, my favorite mod here by far (no offense intended to any other mods). She helped talk me through some major issues, and taught me that this is just a message board; no need to get super worked up about things strangers say on the Internet.

I'll miss you, Fugu. I hope you are resting peacefully and are in pain no more.

**** Cancer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad