Post-Game Talk: Sat., Oct. 12 2013|Flyers 2 at Red Wings 5

CavemanLawyer

Feb 22, 2006
Ocean City, MD
Actually, I'm growing a little tired of Kimmo getting a free pass these past couple years. He's declined worse than Gagne.

Same thing will happen as last year on this board-
"OMG Kimmo is so bad!" for 10-15 games.
Kimmo scores a PP blast
"KIMMO THERAPY BABY NOT LOSING A STEP! RESIGN THE MAN!"
Kimmo plays like **** for another 20 games.
"Get off Kimmo's back, he scored that great goal!"
"Oh yeah! Kimmo rocks! I take back my criticism."
repeat for season.

People want to like him so much...but the dude has lost a major step. It is so aggravating watching him play anymore. At this point I'd rather have Jussi Timonen.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Flyers have the 2nd worst goals per game in the NHL. Flyers are tied for the worst goal differential in the NHL. Tied for 3rd to last in the NHL for goals for.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
We fired Lavos, but the world refused to change

Lavoscore.gif

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Flyers have the 2nd worst goals per game in the NHL. Flyers are tied for the worst goal differential in the NHL. Tied for 3rd to last in the NHL for goals for.

Metro Division goal differential already sitting at minus-29. It's minus-36 if you remove the Penguins. :amazed: This division is butt

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
Who would have thought two weeks ago that the Eagles could have more wins at the end of October than the Flyers?

Eagles: 2-3 (@Tampa Bay, vs Dallas, vs NYG)
Flyers: 1-5 (vs Van, vs Pitt, vs NYR, @NYI, vs Anaheim)

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I missed the game.

I require updates on Giroux, Vorasaurus Cek, Emery, The Schenn Clan, Couturier, Gus, Mez, Simmonds, and Read. Read concerned me last game, he started out good and got worse as the game went on, ending with terrible play.

Thanks!

Giroux had a few good shifts, definitely more engaged than he has been in the first 5 games. Still, he needs to be better

Emery was awful. The first and fourth were Bryz-esque

The Schenns were solid. Brayden was the best Flyers IMO tonight. Won battles down low, was strong on the puck and had some great chemistry with Raffl and Simmonds.

Gus made the entire coaching staff look silly for not dressing him the first 5 games. There is zero reason for Mez to be back in the lineup barring any injuries.

Mez looked fantastic in the press box. Most comfortable hes looked all season.

Friday was an anomaly for Read. He was the best forward tonight outside of B Schenn.

Simmonds' was....better I'd say. The energy and passion has been there for Simmonds through the first 5 games. I guess tonight it just looked like it was actually doing some good for the team :laugh:

Couturier had a rough game again in my opinion. He lacks acceleration which is killing any possible offensive production he may have in him. He also needs to hit the weight room because he gets knocked off pucks far too easily.

I honestly dont believe the score is truly indicative of the actual game. It's not even debatable that this was their best game of the year - they deserved to win. Too many chest snipes, not capitalizing on any scoring chances and Emery were the reasons they didn't come out with 2 points.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Same thing will happen as last year on this board-
"OMG Kimmo is so bad!" for 10-15 games.
Kimmo scores a PP blast
"KIMMO THERAPY BABY NOT LOSING A STEP! RESIGN THE MAN!"
Kimmo plays like **** for another 20 games.
"Get off Kimmo's back, he scored that great goal!"
"Oh yeah! Kimmo rocks! I take back my criticism."
repeat for season.

People want to like him so much...but the dude has lost a major step. It is so aggravating watching him play anymore. At this point I'd rather have Jussi Timonen.

Kimmo has not been good this season but it's still early. He wasn't great for a few stretches last season either but you're blowing it way out of proportion. Yes he's declining and he isn't worth 6 mil anymore but he did put up 29 pts in 45 games last yr. I think I'll give him more then 6 games to get his **** together.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
I missed the game.

I require updates on Giroux, Vorasaurus Cek, Emery, The Schenn Clan, Couturier, Gus, Mez, Simmonds, and Read. Read concerned me last game, he started out good and got worse as the game went on, ending with terrible play.

Thanks!

Giroux- First point of the year. Started taking more shots instead of passing.

Voracek- Played well. Nothing to complain about.

Emery- Ugh. :shakehead

Schenns- Brayden was awesome. Lots of chances and looked really strong on the puck. Luke was alright.

Couturier- Couple of good shifts.

Gus- Got a goal. Looked 100000x better than Mez.

Simmonds- Played pretty well. Seems to be getting better as the season goes along.

Read- Had a great game. Lots of chances. Played 20+ mins.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Watching Timonen regress is like watching Desjardins when he regressed. I still can't hate the guy.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
That second one was at the very least comparing it to JVR.

Regardless, it's not just those two quotes. Like I said, since that Dreger tweet people have been talking about Schenn. I've heard complaints about his game shape, time on ice, performance, and how we lost that trade since then. Guess I'm the only one noticing it.

I have seen very little criticism of Schenn's actual play; most of the "criticism" I see is comparing who won the trade. Schenn is a shut down guy, so if JVR puts up points, there will always be someone who belly aches about the trade. It's an inevitable comparison and it's always going to favour JVR (as long as he's producing), especially if Luke is getting so few minutes.

I will strip naked and fight anyone who blasphemes Timonen.

Down 3-2, he was all alone in the slot with a great opportunity to tie the game. Instead, he made an ill-advised pass to Giroux that was intercepted.

That was the most glaring knock against him tonight, but he's fading like Roger Federer and it's showing.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Timonen is one of the most likable Flyers ever but yeah he's no longer anywhere near capable of anchoring the first pairing or anything like that.

The team as a whole played a lot better then any other game this season yet this was the worst loss so far in terms of the score. It's probably the worst our special teams has been all season too. Detroit had zero PP goals previous to this game and they had three. Our PK only killed off like half the ridiculous amount of penalties they took. Our PP was still total butt.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
G got his first point and looked better, particularly after he got the point.

Jake is improving but still isn't the Jake from last yr or even two yrs ago.

Emery wasn't very good, at all. We've said it a hundred times but he's so slow post to post and the 4th goal was pretty terrible.

L Schenn still isn't getting the ice time he deserves, he was solid.

B Schenn had 7 shots, turned beast on a few shifts and was our best forward IMO. He needs to stay at center.

Simmer was much better, he Schenn and Raffl were probably our best line tonight.

Couturier had some good shifts and a golden opportunity but couldn't capitalize.

Mez was a healthy scratch.

Gus played great, probably our best d-man definitely in the offensive zone. He could of easily come away with multiple points.

Read was Read again. His last game concerned me as well but he was back to his old self.

Overall the team was much much better in all zones. They deserved at least a point IMO but Emery cost 'em.

Pretty much exactly this, only thing I would change is that I thought Couturier was pretty terrible all around during this game. He turned it over in the D zone a handful of times tonight too.

I think the most encouraging thing is that they are literally getting better in every single aspect of the game.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos
teams are so aggressive against our PP and attacking the puck carrier in the zone hard. and they don't seem to moving it quick or adjusting whatsoever.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
No idea how Gus has sit this long when we can't score for ****. Thought the team played better tonight and you can start to see certain aspects of berubes system. I liked his comments on post game. Said we need to shot more and need more tenacity on the pp. I think if mason was in we may have won this one. We need to get some wins just for the point of being in a hole but I think with g jake vinny read Simmonds schenn raffle couts there is no way this team goes on so scoreless. G looked a lot better and jake was at least noticeable. Hoping for a win and more improvement Thursday.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The one major problem I have with people complaining about kimmo is he is by far still this teams best defensive zone defender. It's not even close. He is rarely, I mean rarely, out of position in the d-zone. He plays a great, sound defensive game, even though he has lost some foot speed.

Also the pass he tried to make he clearly fanned on it. It he doesn't fan on it, giroux might roof the shot and tie the game up. Yes the opportunity for the shot was there, but he tried to set up a player with the goalie going laterally across the crease. It sucks that it didn't get through, but I won't crucify him for it. He's defensive zone play is what is most important, and he provides that better than anyone else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad