Proposal: Saros to CGY

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Bennett +2nd definitely doesn’t get it done. Calgary probably doesn’t have the right mix of assets to get it done.

That doesn’t change the fact that asking Gaudreau, Tkachuk, or Hanifin + is completely ridiculous

Youre right - because Calgary doesnt have a cheap back up goalie that compliments the team well.

Is Saros' Value Tkachuk? No, and we all acknowledge that. No ones said it was. But Saros' isnt moving for 'value'.

People really need to start realizing that players are not products with price tags. They arent fungible. Prices for players are set by team willing to deal them, and any circumstances surrounding that.

The OP asked the price. The price was set based on the current circumstances of Saros and the Preds suituation. It's perfectly ok to not like it, but that doesnt change it.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Fellow Calgary fans, this thread is basically a reverse of all those Bennett threads. Remember, just like Flames have no reason to trade Bennett for his current value, Preds are not trading Saros for his current value. No need to get into stupid arguments what is the "market value" of Saros and what is the overpayment.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Youre right - because Calgary doesnt have a cheap back up goalie that compliments the team well.

Is Saros' Value Tkachuk? No, and we all acknowledge that. No ones said it was. But Saros' isnt moving for 'value'.

People really need to start realizing that players are not products with price tags. They arent fungible. Prices for players are set by team willing to deal them, and any circumstances surrounding that.

The OP asked the price. The price was set based on the current circumstances of Saros and the Preds suituation. It's perfectly ok to not like it, but that doesnt change it.

You literally quoted my first post earlier where I agreed that if he was moved it would have to be ABOVE market price. I’m just stating that Tkachuk or Gaudreau is so far above market price that it’s laughable and not even in the realm of discussion

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Fellow Calgary fans, this thread is basically a reverse of all those Bennett threads. Remember, just like Flames have no reason to trade Bennett for his current value, Preds are not trading Saros for his current value. No need to get into stupid arguments what is the "market value" of Saros and what is the overpayment.

It isn't. Because no one ever said it would take an all star point per game player to part ways with Bennett.

This is a few uneducated members of a fanbase not understanding value. It is nothing like us wanting to keep Bennett. We just wouldn't trade Bennett for a 2nd round pick. If someome offered a Gaudreau or Tkachuk we are smart enough to say yes.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Why would the Flames trade for Saros when they have Mike Smith?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You literally quoted my first post earlier where I agreed that if he was moved it would have to be ABOVE market price. I’m just stating that Tkachuk or Gaudreau is so far above market price that it’s laughable and not even in the realm of discussion

Ok, lets do an exercise then.

What else do you have to offer that would improve the Preds offer right now, and in the future, but not hinder their chances at winning a cup?

Reactions: Ookhaab

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It isn't. Because no one ever said it would take an all star point per game player to part ways with Bennett.

This is a few uneducated members of a fanbase not understanding value. It is nothing like us wanting to keep Bennett. We just wouldn't trade Bennett for a 2nd round pick. If someome offered a Gaudreau or Tkachuk we are smart enough to say yes.

Same in principle, I honestly didn't even read the proposals that carefully

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

and If someone offer a Tkachuk or Gaudreau for Saros, Preds say yes. I dont get your point.

Saros value to the team is inflated because hes cheap, is already proven to work there, and has a great working relationship with the current keeper. It's hard to quantify those things, but they make the team better, and more competitive. Competitive enough to be a recent SC Finalist.

What are you going to offer for Saros that is going to do all those things and be relatively cap neutral, while also providing them with a capable goaltender. - I'll wait.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Ok, lets do an exercise then.

What else do you have to offer that would improve the Preds offer right now, and in the future, but not hinder their chances at winning a cup?

You also quoted my second post where I said Calgary probably doesn’t have the assets to acquire Saros. I’m not advocating a trade or even this thread. I’m just saying that what some posters are suggesting as a price is stupid.

Picture a hypothetical scenario where Carter Hart sucks and a Flyers fan makes this thread. Would you not think it was stupid if a Preds fan stated that the price would be Giroux, Provorov or say Konecny ++?

I certainly would

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You also quoted my second post where I said Calgary probably doesn’t have the assets to acquire Saros. I’m not advocating a trade or even this thread. I’m just saying that what some posters are suggesting as a price is stupid.

Picture a hypothetical scenario where Carter Hart sucks and a Flyers fan makes this thread. Would you not think it was stupid if a Preds fan stated that the price would be Giroux, Provorov or say Konecny ++?

I certainly would
I don't think I've seen an actual Preds fan suggest any of the outlandish players. Nearly every Preds fan response I've seen has been something to the effect of not entertaining the thought of trading Saros. I think the other posters that have suggested players are doing so more to emphasize there's no real discussion to be had rather than belief that is Saros' true value. At this point, this thread is just spinning its wheels for no purpose, imo.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I certainly would

I wouldnt try to acquire a player who is knowingly unavailable, and if i did, I wouldnt get upset when the answer was essentially a massive overpay. I'd say "Ok, sounds good." and walk away.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017

I certainly would

I wouldnt try to acquire a player who is knowingly unavailable, and if i did, I wouldnt get upset when the answer was essentially a massive overpay. I'd say "Ok, sounds good." and walk away.

See bolded. Good lord what a waste of time this thread is

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
See bolded. Good lord what a waste of time this thread is

I didnt imply that you tried to get him. The OP did. Everyone basically said he wasnt available, and that it would take an extreme overpayment to do it.

dont blame everyone else for you getting butthurt about a players name being tossed in, when everyone but you realizes its a crazy ask and would never happen.

Reactions: Tex76 and Ookhaab

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
No, Poile wouldnt. Because Pekka showed some cracks last year, and the preds are competing. They know Saros works, and hes absolutely dirt cheap. Hes going to be a 1.5M starting goalie for a team that has to re-sign their defensive core during that contract. Saros alone extends the Preds window by at least 3 years. You arent getting him for Bennett + 2nd.

The reigning Vezina winner showed some cracks......

Kinda like saying McDavid showed some cracks in his game......I mean he only scored 41!! Pfft! Should have had 51!!

This place sometimes......

Every goalie shows "some cracks' sometimes. Rinne's were hair line fractures. He surely isn't worried about losing his starting spot......for now.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Kinda like saying McDavid showed some cracks in his game......I mean he only scored 41!! Pfft! Should have had 51!!

Every goalie shows "some cracks' sometimes. Rinne's were hair line fractures. He surely isn't worried about losing his starting spot......for now.
Cracks in the regular season could be shrugged off like that. But those cracks were magnified in the playoffs. Rinne got pulled 3 times in the series against Winnipeg, and for a team that wants to contend for the Stanley Cup, that's definitely not acceptable. Rinne has had rollercoaster stretches in the past too, some amazing games followed by total letdowns... we all love him and everything, but... end of the day he's about to turn 36 and it's totally fair if cracks appear.

I would say most of us reached the point of wishing that Saros had been given an opportunity to become the starter during the playoffs. The cracks were that significant.

I don't think Rinne is "worried" about losing his starting spot... in fact one of the reasons we value Saros so highly is that they really seem to get along great and it seems like a perfect fit and natural progression that they both are onboard with to move towards a 1A/1B situation as soon as the coming season, with Saros gradually taking over as #1 and Rinne gradually sliding into the veteran backup/mentor role.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

You make it seem like I said he was God awful. Rinne was a large part of that playoff loss. Hell get the opportunity to prove it was a one time thing, but if you arent slightly concerned about that performance, you're terribly optimistic.

Reactions: Ookhaab

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
You make it seem like I said he was God awful. Rinne was a large part of that playoff loss. Hell get the opportunity to prove it was a one time thing, but if you arent slightly concerned about that performance, you're terribly optimistic.

There is no reason to be concerned. Pekka is a "mental" goalie. When he is feeling good he is one of the best in the league. When he loses confidence he struggles. He might lose confidence one game and get it back the next. Sometimes he loses confidence and doesn't get it back for weeks. Sometimes there will be a certain scenario that will get in his head (Pittsburgh). At this point in his career you just accept that this is who he is.

As far as Saros goes it makes no sense to trade him. Goalies aren't worth crap typically on the trade market. Jusse has shown to be a promising young goalie. Honestly, his size is his only question mark. If he was 6'3' he would be looked at as the next superstar goalie in the league. The kid has done nothing but put up great numbers and be successful at every stop at this point in his development. He's signed for cheap the next three years and over the course of that time will get the opportunity to take over the net for the franchise.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't think Rinne is "worried" about losing his starting spot... in fact one of the reasons we value Saros so highly is that they really seem to get along great and it seems like a perfect fit and natural progression that they both are onboard with to move towards a 1A/1B situation as soon as the coming season, with Saros gradually taking over as #1 and Rinne gradually sliding into the veteran backup/mentor role.
An ideal situation for Nashville & a problem for the rest of the Central. The Preds won't miss a beat in net during the transition.
It took the Jets 7 hard fought games to get to be the 1 of 2 deserving teams to move on. They used everything they had to emerge & had nothing left against LV.
Dang! It won't get easier.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Doesn't make much sense for Nashville.
I know there are some rumblings Calgary's out goalie shopping, looking for a number 1 goalie. I liked Mike Smith last season, while he was healthy, but if anything was proven, it's that if he goes down we're hooped.

People forget, Calgary missed the playoffs by 11 points. Their last 10 games were essentially throw aways. Their last 10 games of the season were 2-8; where the majority of the roster was missing. In their last 7 games, they were only not shutout in 2 of those games :laugh:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Nashville is trying to win a cup. With how much of an impact Saros could have for 1.5 mil there's no reason to deal him.

If you had a cup calibre team, and god forbid Rinne went down, would you really feel comfortable with one of Calgary's backups? Even if you could a forward position? If Rinne ever goes down, with Saros, that team won't miss a beat.

The only reason it would make sense to trade Saros is if he cost like 5-6mil. His pricetag makes him too important to deal.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Why would the Flames trade for Saros when they have Mike Smith?

Because Smith is old, not very good and only signed for a UFA after this year.

That said there isnt a deal that makes sense unless for some reason Nashville likes a guy like Parsons more than Saros, which is doubtful, and a deal can be made around him.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

You do realize there is an extremely large gap between fair value and I'm going to ask for something stupid and outrageous, right?

offering a 2nd & Gillies would be fair.
offering a 1st & Gillies would be an overpayment that might make Nashville think.
but suggesting Matthew Tkachuk is downright moronic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad