Proposal: Saros to CGY

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Saros has nowhere even close to the value of Gaudreau. I understand that it would take an overpayment to acquire him, but using him as an example is just being hyperbolic and shutting down any discussion.

Yes. Exactly. There shouldnt be any discussion, because Saros isnt on the market, at least not for anything that most people would say is "reasonable". That's what we keep trying to say. This isnt a video game.

Reactions: Viqsi

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Saros has nowhere even close to the value of Gaudreau. I understand that it would take an overpayment to acquire him, but using him as an example is just being hyperbolic and shutting down any discussion.
There's no real discussion to be had here. Saros is a great young goaltender and will start taking over the reins this season or next. There's no reason to trade him, even in a trade we "win," as there's zero guarantee we can find the right goaltender to replace him ( factoring age, ability and contract). Some Preds fans (and others) are being ridiculously hyperbolic on his value, but people don't accept the above as valid in proposals. The last four pages of nonsense could have been otherwise avoided.

Reactions: Tex76

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yes. Exactly. There shouldnt be any discussion, because Saros isnt on the market. That's what we keep trying to say. This isnt a video game.
But it is summer, and a discussion board, so who cares? This is hardly the most outlandish thread on HF this week alone.

Realistically if Calgary really wanted Saros, I assume it would have to be something like Gilles/Parsons + Valimaki for Saros and a small plus.

Reactions: Weast

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
But it is summer, and a discussion board, so who cares? This is hardly the most outlandish thread on HF this week alone.

Realistically if Calgary really wanted Saros, I assume it would have to be something like Gilles/Parsons + Valimaki for Saros and a small plus.

Poile still says no. Hes not trading Saros. Period. Right now we have about a 5 year cup window given all the young talent we have locked up long term. But Rinne probably has two more years as a full time starter and possibly less. We already know Saros has enough talent to win with this Preds team in front of him. There is zero reason to trade Saros even for a modest overpayment. Which is why we keep saying it would take a ridiculous, never gonna happen overpayment

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Poile still says no. Hes not trading Saros. Period. Right now we have about a 5 year cup window given all the young talent we have locked up long term. But Rinne probably has two more years as a full time starter and possibly less. We already know Saros has enough talent to win with this Preds team in front of him. There is zero reason to trade Saros even for a modest overpayment. Which is why we keep saying it would take a ridiculous, never gonna happen overpayment
I think everyone is aware that he won't be moved, including the OP who says as much in his/her opening statement.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
At some point they have to choose between Saros and Rinne?

Assuming the price is right, I wouldnt mind one of them in Calgary.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's supposed to be the point, though. It's meant to shut down any further discussion. Instead for some reason, people don't see that or can't just leave it at that.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
At some point they have to choose between Saros and Rinne?

Assuming the price is right, I wouldnt mind one of them in Calgary.

No, they dont. Rinne probably gets a series of 1 year extensions(so he wont have to be protected in an expansion draft) and over the next three years we see a transition from Rinne starting 50+and Saros getting around 30 to Saros getting 50 to 60 and Rinne being he backup. Rinne isnt likely to leave to try to hang on as a full time starter for an extra year or two.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think everyone is aware that he won't be moved, including the OP who says as much in his/her opening statement.

The OP mistakenly claimed that the Preds had a "hole" in their roster that was a replacement for Rinne and that is factually incorrect. If the OP knew enough about Nashville he would know that Saros already is Rinnes successor and that the succession is in the works as we speak.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No, they dont. Rinne probably gets a series of 1 year extensions(so he wont have to be protected in an expansion draft) and over the next three years we see a transition from Rinne starting 50+and Saros getting around 30 to Saros getting 50 to 60 and Rinne being he backup. Rinne isnt likely to leave to try to hang on as a full time starter for an extra year or two.

So Rinne is one of those rare breed that is willing to sacrifice himself and his family for the team? and Saros is happy to be a backup forever?

OK then.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So Rinne is one of those rare breed that is willing to sacrifice himself and his family for the team? and Saros is happy to be a backup forever?

OK then.

Proof that you know squat about the Preds.
Saros is signed for 3 years. He knows by the end of that time he will be the starter.

As for Rinne, you just watch and see what he does(ps hes single so there is no family to consider).

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Proof that you know squat about the Preds.
Saros is signed for 3 years. He knows by the end of that time he will be the starter.

As for Rinne, you just watch and see what he does(ps hes single so there is no family to consider).

That's fine man...just checking lol

I dont think it's unreasonable that Saros can take over sooner and Rinne becomes available. That would save the Preds a lot of money too.

But whatever, they are not the only team with goalies.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
That's fine man...just checking lol

I dont think it's unreasonable that Saros can take over sooner and Rinne becomes available. That would save the Preds a lot of money too.

But whatever, they are not the only team with goalies.

Rinne is about to turn 36 and has proven that he no longer can start 60+ games and still have anything left in the playoffs. Anyone who suggests trading for him needs to understand what they are getting. The Nashville situation is perfect for him. And I really dont think hes going to want any kind of crippling contract so our expectation is hes gonna retire here in another 2 to 3 years.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
What if Saros isn’t the guy after this season? His starts have been impressive but the sample is very small.

Well that's a whole different matter, and of course could happen to anyone. I imagine Poile first signs Rinne to an extension and gives Saros a chance to bounce back. If he still cant hav it Poile will figure something out but that would be no sooner than 2020

But that's certainly no reason to trade him away now

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well that's a whole different matter, and of course could happen to anyone. I imagine Poile first signs Rinne to an extension and gives Saros a chance to bounce back. If he still cant hav it Poile will figure something out but that would be no sooner than 2020

But that's certainly no reason to trade him away now

For sure. I’m just stating the Preds can’t anoint as the guy until he’s the guy.

Fwiw there’s zero reason to think Nashville would deal him. But some of the asks in here have also been ridiculous.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
For sure. I’m just stating the Preds can’t anoint as the guy until he’s the guy.

Fwiw there’s zero reason to think Nashville would deal him. But some of the asks in here have also been ridiculous.

He is anointed because he has shown he can be the guy. He had fewer starts but his numbers rivaled Rinnes. The asks from Preds fans were ridiculous to make the point that he is not likely to be traded for anything short of a ridiculous offer.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

OK then.

At 36 years old and already made well over $50 million in salary over his career I doubt it is so much him being a rare breed and realizing that he has made enough money and would rather not move his family from city to city year after year at this point in his career.

Whether he is willing to come to Calgary or not I am not all that interested in another old, stop gap goalie. I mean if he was willing to come cheap sure but I doubt that and he doesn't make a ton of sense for the Flames.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ok ok Calgary fans in all seriousness Nashville sends saros to you guys straight up for....... Monahan ;) lol

No one is arguing that Nashville doesn’t need Saros because the plan is for him to take over as their starter. Someone on “Reddit” reported the Flames were looking at Saros, and I do not doubt for a second that Treliving has called, because he calls about everyone. None of that means anything. However someone asking Gaudreau for Saros is the same as offering Parsons straight up for Forsberg. It’s a ridiculous comment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad