Proposal: Saros to CGY

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
of course I don't think Nashville will be moving Saros anytime soon with Rinne getting older but there still would have to be some package that could get the conversation started. Disappointingly, when you look at the Preds roster, the only major hole is a successor to Rinne, which Saros is filling for now

What would the price even be? I can't imagine I'll like the price but it does interest me

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
There's no way the Predators are trading him short of a massive overpay. Flames are in no position to be making that type of move considering goalies have the least amount of trade value of any position in hockey.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Any trade would be kind of self-defeating. Like you'd have to give up whoever is best of your current backup candidates... is that Gillies (better than Rittich?) and then your best goalie prospect in case that doesn't work out (Parsons?) and even then it's a little bit dubious for Nashville because really we need somebody who can step in NOW in case Rinne falters again or shows further signs of age. And Saros is already a perfect fit with his new 3-year deal and relationship with Rinne.

The only slight drawback to Saros longer term is whether his size will be an issue in an evolving league for goalies. But I don't see how the Preds can give up what he represents in a shorter term when they are trying to win right now. Taking Calgary's goalie futures doesn't help with that shorter term need, even if it does offset the longer term risk. I don't see how anything bridges that fundamental incompatibility without becoming just too astronomically absurd as an asking price.

Or what Starat327 posted above, in short. :)

Reactions: byrath

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Gaudreau + Neal + 2019 first

and thats why the deal doesn't happen

there isn't any logical reason to trade him

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
When you think you have a young #1 goalie that can carry your team for a long time, why would the team even consider trading him? Pretty sure they consider him untouchable. Hence, it would take a LOT more than you're willing to pay, much like any 'untouchable' player.

He has 'untouchable' value, which means a heck of a lot -- enough to make you balk at the ask price.

If you want a goalie from Nashville, you should be asking what it would take to get Rinne (with or without salary retention), and hope he stays healthy and that you can extend him to a reasonable price. Really doubt they keep Rinne after this season, so I'm sure he's available for the right price, and it wouldn't be as much as Saros.

Reactions: BHD

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
If Flames get a goalie it will be Price with Mike Smith in the last year of his contract.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The time to trade for Saros was several years ago, that window is long gone. Predators have no reason to move him, especially with Rinne heading into the last year of his contract.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No reason Nashville would trade him. Don’t y’all have Parsons who looks pretty good? I would just wait for him to develop.

Parsons looked good in junior and at the WJC....but that is a million years away from the NHL.
He looked terrible as a pro last year

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
OP, you already answered your own question. The Preds aren't going to trade him because Saros will be taking over rather shortly.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No reason Nashville would trade him. Don’t y’all have Parsons who looks pretty good? I would just wait for him to develop.
And besides, even if the Flames did want to overlook their internal options and chase a young prospect goalie acquisition... honestly, there have to be better options for them too. Saros has a really entrenched spot in Nashville because of his contract, Rinne's situation, the team's desire to contend immediately... but surely there is some other team out there that has a more "available" young goalie/goalie prospect?

Saros has a big pricetag due to his team circumstances, but also has the size factor risk... surely the Flames could target somebody more readily acquirable who doesn't even have the same risk factor? Goalies aren't usually all that pricey as trade commodities. It's just a special set of circumstances really that makes Saros such a long reach. :dunno:

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Parsons looked good in junior and at the WJC....but that is a million years away from the NHL.
He looked terrible as a pro last year
Well goalies take a good amount of time to develop. Saros just had his 1st time as a full-time backup last season. I mean Parsons, Rittich, or Gillies do have the potential to become a solid #1 imo, it may take awhile, but most goaltenders take a good amount of time to develop. Also, teams usually don’t trade their young high potential goaltenders unless your the Canucks. Maybe y’all can get Demko.

I’m jk nucks fans to clarify

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
And besides, even if the Flames did want to overlook their internal options and chase a young prospect goalie acquisition... honestly, there have to be better options for them too. Saros has a really entrenched spot in Nashville because of his contract, Rinne's situation, the team's desire to contend immediately... but surely there is some other team out there that has a more "available" young goalie/goalie prospect?

Saros has a big pricetag due to his team circumstances, but also has the size factor risk... surely the Flames could target somebody more readily acquirable who doesn't even have the same risk factor? Goalies aren't usually all that pricey as trade commodities. It's just a special set of circumstances really that makes Saros such a long reach. :dunno:
Samsonov for Washington could fit the bill in the future haha

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well goalies take a good amount of time to develop. Saros just had his 1st time as a full-time backup last season. I mean Parsons, Rittich, or Gillies do have the potential to become a solid #1 imo, it may take awhile, but most goaltenders take a good amount of time to develop. Also, teams usually don’t trade their young high potential goaltenders unless your the Canucks. Maybe y’all can get Demko.

I’m jk nucks fans to clarify

Yeah somewhat agreed. Rittich and Gillies are not so young. Their time is now to prove what they are one way or the other.

Parsons is very young so the jury is still out on him. I am just commenting on the people that still live off his junior numbers. We seemly do not know with him after his performance last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->