Proposal: Saros to CGY

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Parsons looked good in junior and at the WJC....but that is a million years away from the NHL.
He looked terrible as a pro last year

Can’t judge a goalie based on ECHL performance. It’s a run and gun shit show. They need to get him up making regular starts in the A

Reactions: Johnnybegood13

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think some here are overrating Saros' value. Sure Nashville wants to keep him, but if Calgary overpays, Nashville could take that and then acquire another similar young goalie for cheaper (since goalies have low value). I doubt Nashville moves him but he's not untouchable.

Reactions: No Draft

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I think some here are overrating Saros' value. Sure Nashville wants to keep him, but if Calgary overpays, Nashville could take that and then acquire another similar young goalie for cheaper (since goalies have low value). I doubt Nashville moves him but he's not untouchable.

Who's to say Nashville wouldn't have to overpay for some other young goalie? So why not just keep the guy we have that's already producing in the NHL?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Who's to say Nashville wouldn't have to overpay for some other young goalie? So why not just keep the guy we have that's already producing in the NHL?
Looking good in the NHL, AND with a sweet contract for 3 years, AND with a great rapport with our fading veteran #1 guy (who won the Vezina). It's like a seamless fantasy transition scenario laid out for the Preds. From the Preds' perspective, you wouldn't mess with this setup without some extreme motivation to do so.

And nobody is asking the Flames to get "extreme". Just saying if it's Saros you want, you will have to get "extreme". You shouldn't. It would be dumb. But that's the kind of approach it would take. No need for anybody to start getting all triggered by player values on either side... it's just a scenario that is probably not intrinsically feasible.

Reactions: Viqsi

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yeah, Saros is good, but the real trouble with this ask is the timing. Rinne is in his final year and Saros is the heir apparent. So any value that Saros would normally have is now tripled. Makes no sense for any team to pursue him right now.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The return would have to be completely unrealistic. Saros is heir apparent to rinne. Those two also have a great friendship going on. Saros even lived with rinne for a while.

So unrealistically, we'd want from the flames: Noah hanifin and your best goalie prospect. From there, we could trade one of ellis/josi for an upgrade somewhere else.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The return would have to be completely unrealistic. Saros is heir apparent to rinne. Those two also have a great friendship going on. Saros even lived with rinne for a while.

So unrealistically, we'd want from the flames: Noah hanifin and your best goalie prospect. From there, we could trade one of ellis/josi for an upgrade somewhere else.

Let's just ask for Tkachuk and get this thing over with.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Preds don't seem to have any needs in forwards or defence. As long as they have a solid goalie they will be contenders. Saros @1,5M$ is a high value contract, trading him without getting an elite goaltender in exchange makes no sense.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Everyone will correctly say that Nashville will not do this. However, the goalie market is actually so full of decent NHL level goalies that they should if the deal is good.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I guess this is based on that "reliable Reddit poster said" thing I saw earlier, that Calgary is looking at Saros. No reason for Preds to trade him

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Ridiculous.
Never witnessed so much blatent over rating in one thread.

Overrating? You wont get Saros by paying "market value", nashville has no reason to trade Saros so of course Flames would have to overpay by a lot.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Overrating? You wont get Saros by paying "market value", nashville has no reason to trade Saros so of course Flames would have to overpay by a lot.
Exactly... This basically a "everyone has their price" thread. Sure... It is overvaluing saros' pure market value but that's what it would take. He's on a great contract, rinne is nearing retirement, we don't really have anyone behind him in our pipeline. All stuff that says he shouldn't be traded. Now if we could get another solid backup that looks like he will be a starter for less than what we'd get from trading saros, it is something that could be explored.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Exactly... This basically a "everyone has their price" thread. Sure... It is overvaluing saros' pure market value but that's what it would take. He's on a great contract, rinne is nearing retirement, we don't really have anyone behind him in our pipeline. All stuff that says he shouldn't be traded. Now if we could get another solid backup that looks like he will be a starter for less than what we'd get from trading saros, it is something that could be explored.

Saros definitely wouldn’t be moved at market value. I think everybody agrees the preds would demand above market value for him. There is a difference between above market value and the proposals in this thread

Asking for one of:
-Gaudreau
-Hanifin+top prospect
-Tkachuk

is so far above market value that it’s just stupid. Regardless of the situation Poile would take a lot less than that in a package for Saros. A lot less than that could still be considerably above market value

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
See also - the second post in this thread, where i stated " the price would be 'lol, Saros isnt worth that'".

I very much appreciate you proving that point.

You wont get a Tkachuk or Gaudreau for anything on your entire roster not named Forsberg or Josi. Its cool to to pretend like Saros holds that kind of value, but it is a fantasy land.

What am I supposed to prove exactly? Why don't you show me an example of a player like Gaudreau or Tkachuk being moved for a goalie who has never been a starter in the NHL?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You wont get a Tkachuk or Gaudreau for anything on your entire roster not named Forsberg or Josi. Its cool to to pretend like Saros holds that kind of value, but it is a fantasy land.

What am I supposed to prove exactly? Why don't you show me an example of a player like Gaudreau or Tkachuk being moved for a goalie who has never been a starter in the NHL?

Saros isnt worth Gaudreau, or Tkachuk, youre 100% right.

But Saros is the heir apparent to the net of a team that is in the middle of a contending window. They arent going to move him (hint: *I* am not getting anything, im only a nashville fan in spirit as a 2nd or 3rd team) for anything that Calgary fans want to pay, because they dont have anyone that can take his spot.

The OP acknowledged this in his post. Instead of going down the road that we're currently doing down(surprise! didnt see this coming!) , i posted and said, the only response youll get to this is something that will make you say "Saros isnt worth that." because Saros, given he already knows the team, coach, and how the team plays, and has demonstrated an ability to fit that system well - as well as having a good working relationship with the current keeper - simply isnt available for anything worthwhile. That, and he's likely going to be a starter, or at least a 1B this year, on a contract of 1.5 mil for the next 3 years.

What youre asking is for the Predators to gamble on their window. So yes, if you want Saros - which the OP does - the price is going to hurt. A lot.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Saros definitely wouldn’t be moved at market value. I think everybody agrees the preds would demand above market value for him. There is a difference between above market value and the proposals in this thread

Asking for one of:
-Gaudreau
-Hanifin+top prospect
-Tkachuk

is so far above market value that it’s just stupid. Regardless of the situation Poile would take a lot less than that in a package for Saros. A lot less than that could still be considerably above market value

No, Poile wouldnt. Because Pekka showed some cracks last year, and the preds are competing. They know Saros works, and hes absolutely dirt cheap. Hes going to be a 1.5M starting goalie for a team that has to re-sign their defensive core during that contract. Saros alone extends the Preds window by at least 3 years. You arent getting him for Bennett + 2nd.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

None of us think he has that value, but people won't take the response "No, this is pointless, we're not trading him" at face value.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
No, Poile wouldnt. Because Pekka showed some cracks last year, and the preds are competing. They know Saros works, and hes absolutely dirt cheap. Hes going to be a 1.5M starting goalie for a team that has to re-sign their defensive core during that contract. Saros alone extends the Preds window by at least 3 years. You arent getting him for Bennett + 2nd.

Bennett +2nd definitely doesn’t get it done. Calgary probably doesn’t have the right mix of assets to get it done.

That doesn’t change the fact that asking Gaudreau, Tkachuk, or Hanifin + is completely ridiculous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad