Proposal: Saros to CGY

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
At 36 years old and already made well over $50 million in salary over his career I doubt it is so much him being a rare breed and realizing that he has made enough money and would rather not move his family from city to city year after year at this point in his career.

Whether he is willing to come to Calgary or not I am not all that interested in another old, stop gap goalie. I mean if he was willing to come cheap sure but I doubt that and he doesn't make a ton of sense for the Flames.
All you had to do was listen to Rinne's interview at the end of the playoffs to know he already knows what is coming and is accepting that. Saros is like his little brother and they really get along.

Unless everything about Rinne changes next offseason there is no reason to believe he wouldn't be willing to sign a short term friendly contract to stay in Nashville.

He is in the same position Fisher was in, which is to say as long as he wants to play he will have a contract of some kind in Nashville.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No one is arguing that Nashville doesn’t need Saros because the plan is for him to take over as their starter. Someone on “Reddit” reported the Flames were looking at Saros, and I do not doubt for a second that Treliving has called, because he calls about everyone. None of that means anything. However someone asking Gaudreau for Saros is the same as offering Parsons straight up for Forsberg. It’s a ridiculous comment.
Actually its different because we aren't offering Saros for Gaudreau, we are just saying that is the kind of stupidity it would take.
If Calgary were in the same position and responded in kind asking for Forsberg, I wouldn't be offended, I would just move on.

The point of suggesting something that crazy is too shut down trying. It doesn't do anything to offer anything reasonable or even as a slight overpayment because those offers do nothing to make Nashville better now, which is all we care about.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Actually its different because we aren't offering Saros for Gaudreau, we are just saying that is the kind of stupidity it would take.
If Calgary were in the same position and responded in kind asking for Forsberg, I wouldn't be offended, I would just move on.

The point of suggesting something that crazy is too shut down trying. It doesn't do anything to offer anything reasonable or even as a slight overpayment because those offers do nothing to make Nashville better now, which is all we care about.

So you think that you and others are justified by providing an irrational answer to a logical question? I don’t live my life that way but you’re entitled to go about things as you wish.

A reasonable explanation would be to simply say that Nashville needs Saros in the very near future and therefore he isn’t available. When you post garbage you can expect garbage in return.

Reactions: CF84 and No Draft

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So you think that you and others are justified by providing an irrational answer to a logical question? I don’t live my life that way but you’re entitled to go about things as you wish.

A reasonable explanation would be to simply say that Nashville needs Saros in the very near future and therefore he isn’t available. When you post garbage you can expect garbage in return.
Or you could research the team a bit before making pointless threads to begin with.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Yeah right, everyone is so reasonable. We said such, repeatedly. For my trouble I specifically got told that I'm an ignorant southern hockey fan because I wouldnt agree that Poile would feel compelled to accept the crap deal he put forth.

If the posters in this forum were reasonable this thread would have been about 3 posts long.

Reactions: Starat327 and Viqsi

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

That's what the first few posts were about. Gaudreau wasn't mentioned until habsgirl5000 brought him up and I'm guessing she's not a Preds fan.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
No one is arguing that Nashville doesn’t need Saros because the plan is for him to take over as their starter. Someone on “Reddit” reported the Flames were looking at Saros, and I do not doubt for a second that Treliving has called, because he calls about everyone. None of that means anything. However someone asking Gaudreau for Saros is the same as offering Parsons straight up for Forsberg. It’s a ridiculous comment.
Lighten up it's just for fun. Saros would not get traded for 3 or 4th liners though. Picks either. He's to important to the preds future. Therefore it would have to be an overpayment. Which would never happen because you could just find a goalie on the market. So that's why you see ridiculous offers because that's honestly what it would take for poile to trade saros. Our window is wide open and were 1 of the top competitors for the cup. If saros stays the course and keeps playing like he is, he widens the window for many more years.

Reactions: greasysnapper

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Lighten up it's just for fun. Saros would not get traded for 3 or 4th liners though. Picks either. He's to important to the preds future. Therefore it would have to be an overpayment. Which would never happen because you could just find a goalie on the market. So that's why you see ridiculous offers because that's honestly what it would take for poile to trade saros. Our window is wide open and were 1 of the top competitors for the cup. If saros stays the course and keeps playing like he is, he widens the window for many more years.

Yep. A good way to look at Saros right now is he's a cheap 1.5 mil insurance policy on their cup run. If Rinne ever got hurt this season, that team's still in good hands, and still a contender. You can't say that if they're running with Montoya or someone.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
1,5M$... Saros contract is the dumbest contract of the summer with a gigantic margin.

jJcVUoQ.png

Real save% - Expected save% , season+PO 2017-18.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Is someone independent here and is familiar wuith other teams...Saros is untradeable.

to get him would cost an outrageous cost.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

Nevermind

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This thread is HF in a nutshell. If you say a player isnt available for anything reasonable, its "lol at Player X being unavailable, people like him are available every summer as a UFA.", and if you say "It'd take your star, here are my reasons why", its "lol, he isnt worth anywhere near that much."

Saros in a vaccum isnt worth anything crazy, but theres no formula to put a price tag on a backup goalie who appears to be a capable starter, who has been with the organization for a while, on a team thats competing, and looks to continue competing, with their current #1 getting up their in age. There's no logical reason for the Preds to 'gamble' on signing another goalie for their window. Any deal that would see Saros go would have to be a slam dunk move to push the Preds over the top, because of the risk they'd be taking. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some people to grasp.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This thread is HF in a nutshell. If you say a player isnt available for anything reasonable, its "lol at Player X being unavailable, people like him are available every summer as a UFA.", and if you say "It'd take your star, here are my reasons why", its "lol, he isnt worth anywhere near that much."

Saros in a vaccum isnt worth anything crazy, but theres no formula to put a price tag on a backup goalie who appears to be a capable starter, who has been with the organization for a while, on a team thats competing, and looks to continue competing, with their current #1 getting up their in age. There's no logical reason for the Preds to 'gamble' on signing another goalie for their window. Any deal that would see Saros go would have to be a slam dunk move to push the Preds over the top, because of the risk they'd be taking. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for some people to grasp.
Because I WANT. And "everyone is available for the right price", but that can't possibly be the price because it's so high and I WANT.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
cross posted on the other Saros thread...

When was the last time a goalie that looked like he was on the right path to becoming a good starter, was traded right after signing a below market value contract, from a team with a 36 year old goalie. If you can find that scenario, you'll like get an idea of his value

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

You bumped a thread that was finally dead for this?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
cross posted on the other Saros thread...

When was the last time a goalie that looked like he was on the right path to becoming a good starter, was traded right after signing a below market value contract, from a team with a 36 year old goalie. If you can find that scenario, you'll like get an idea of his value
Antti Raanta is probably the closest.

But it's hard to compare that trade because there were more pieces involved.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Raanta was also 28 years old when traded
And? You are more likely to know what you are getting in a goaltender in his late 20s, than a 23 year old. Also Raanta has low miles, so I really don't see his age being much of a factor. You posted a very specific set of criteria knowing that there would be next to no examples, then someone gives you one and you change the goalposts.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Why is this still a thread?

Calgary called about a guy everyone knows will be good, likely with fingers crossed the Preds don't know what they have. Nashville likely counters with a understandably big ask, Calgary declines, everyone moves on.

It reminds me of when the Flames asked about Matt Murray just weeks before he played his first NHL game. You can't blame them for trying but obviously it wasn't going to happen as the Pens knew what they had.

Seems like the teams have moved on, now can HF?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
And? You are more likely to know what you are getting in a goaltender in his late 20s, than a 23 year old. Also Raanta has low miles, so I really don't see his age being much of a factor. You posted a very specific set of criteria knowing that there would be next to no examples, then someone gives you one and you change the goalposts.
I think comparing a goalie that at 28 was still a career back-up to a 23 year old rookie that just posted a 925 save percentage that was the highest among rookie goaltenders with at least 20 starts in a single season over the past seven years. To me, one is a stop gap for maybe 4 to 5 years, the other could be at 12 year solution. Sorry if you don't agree.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think comparing a goalie that at 28 was still a career back-up to a 23 year old rookie that just posted a 925 save percentage that was the highest among rookie goaltenders with at least 20 starts in a single season over the past seven years. To me, one is a stop gap for maybe 4 to 5 years, the other could be at 12 year solution. Sorry if you don't agree.
5 years difference in age equals a 7-8 year difference in how long they can be starters. Sound mathematics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad