Sarnia Sting 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
At times sure the goaltending has been iffy but when your under fire every night i expect some off nights.

How about Gaudreau tho? He seems to play on another level when the other team shoots alot at him. Today was his best game IMO. Rebound control was great, positioning was top notch & he made some unbelievable saves.

He will have his off nights but man when he is dialed in it gets me really excited as to what he could become. He has all the tools of an elite goalie just needs consistency which comes with experience.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Theo Hill has been really solid lately IMO. Not a guy that gets much shine but he is really skating well & creating chances. They had him with Roth for 1 period Friday & he got 1G/1A with him on his wing.

O'Donnell was also good today. No points yet this year but i still think he will be a good player for us as he gets older. Similar skillset as McGregor when he was 16.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Theo Hill has been really solid lately IMO. Not a guy that gets much shine but he is really skating well & creating chances. They had him with Roth for 1 period Friday & he got 1G/1A with him on his wing.

O'Donnell was also good today. No points yet this year but i still think he will be a good player for us as he gets older. Similar skillset as McGregor when he was 16.

I agree about Hill. I've noticed his recent play as well. Great speed and he's started to be more aggressive going in for pucks. He's got good potential. Reminds be a Brady Hinz a bit.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Coaching staff needs to play those 3 and 4th lines.Forget the standings.Play these kids so we r ready for next year.O'Donnell,Saye,Hill Berka and Voit all have great potential.But unless we get some games under their belt,wont be ready for next year

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I agree about Hill. I've noticed his recent play as well. Great speed and he's started to be more aggressive going in for pucks. He's got good potential. Reminds be a Brady Hinz a bit.
Yes similar except for a lot bigger lol, I think Hill will have a break out year next year, I think burke will be getting moved, Hill is clearly better than him, saye brings a different style of play and guys like O’Donnell voit coming up are passing him, plus the team team will need room for a rookie forward spot (dann, 04 pick) next year probably.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Coaching staff needs to play those 3 and 4th lines.Forget the standings.Play these kids so we r ready for next year.O'Donnell,Saye,Hill Berka and Voit all have great potential.But unless we get some games under their belt,wont be ready for next year
Although are defence is terrible right now, atleast our young or inexperienced defenceman are playing a lot and getting a lot of experience for next year (nolet,hjorth,mast, dillingham) also gaudreau is getting his reps in net too!.... need reesor back so he can continue his development for next season !

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Although are defence is terrible right now, atleast our young or inexperienced defenceman are playing a lot and getting a lot of experience for next year (nolet,hjorth,mast, dillingham) also gaudreau is getting his reps in net too!.... need reesor back so he can continue his development for next season !
I still feel that if this team wants to contend next year we need a top 2 D man and a top 6 forward because with Josling and Mcgregor not coming back next year that’s a huge chunk of our offence we will need to replace plus there are top 2 penalty killers

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I still feel that if this team wants to contend next year we need a top 2 D man and a top 6 forward because with Josling and Mcgregor not coming back next year that’s a huge chunk of our offence we will need to replace plus there are top 2 penalty killers

That's exactly why they need to sell this year. If we do not trade McGregor and Josling then we will have virtually no picks to trade for a top d or forward. The Sting need to get at least 4 2nds and 2-3 3rds between McGregor and Josling this year. As of right now we have 2 2nd rounds picks for the next 5 years.

Also, this team would need at least 2 top 4 D and 2 more stud forwards to contend next year on top of Rees, Perreault, Roth and Bitten all coming back.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
That's exactly why they need to sell this year. If we do not trade McGregor and Josling then we will have virtually no picks to trade for a top d or forward. The Sting need to get at least 4 2nds and 2-3 3rds between McGregor and Josling this year. As of right now we have 2 2nd rounds picks for the next 5 years.

Also, this team would need at least 2 top 4 D and 2 more stud forwards to contend next year on top of Rees, Perreault, Roth and Bitten all coming back.

Like ur thoughts for picks received for McGregor and Josling but will never happen.Doubt there will be enough teams interested in them.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Like ur thoughts for picks received for McGregor and Josling but will never happen.Doubt there will be enough teams interested in them.

I don't buy that argument. McGregor is one of the best two way centres and penalty killers in the league. If it wasn't for his injury he would be right up in the top ten in scoring with Josling and Rees. Josling has scored the 3rd most goals in the league. Any team not interested in them would be highly suspect.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I think that by next year, Hill will really surprise you. He has tremendous acceleration and pretty decent puck skill. Pair him with Berka and you’ll have a very nice second line next year.
My post from Nov 13 regarding Hill. I’ll stick by it. I think both he and Berka, given decent playing time will be on 2nd line next year. I like everything about his game so far.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
if they have teachable moments... or they could regress

massey

Sep 5, 2012
I don't buy that argument. McGregor is one of the best two way centres and penalty killers in the league. If it wasn't for his injury he would be right up in the top ten in scoring with Josling and Rees. Josling has scored the 3rd most goals in the league. Any team not interested in them would be highly suspect.

I agree with his stats and his ability.What team is in need of an OA and has the picks to give it up for him or Josling.Dont include London,they have the picks but probably will go elsewhere. So what team or teams would there be.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Maybe Oshawa wants to upgrade Walker? Might be a cheap way to help them tread water and win a playoff round even with a mini sell off of Antropov and Noel.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I agree with his stats and his ability.What team is in need of an OA and has the picks to give it up for him or Josling.Dont include London,they have the picks but probably will go elsewhere. So what team or teams would there be.

Literally any team that plans on contending. McGregor/Josling would be an upgrade for most teams OA's.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Literally any team that plans on contending. McGregor/Josling would be an upgrade for most teams OA's.
Im still hesitant as to what we will get. Struthers just went for a 2nd, 3rd & 6th. He had 81 points last year & is point per game this year. I can't see either of are OAs getting more than him.

As I've mentioned before the market for OAs is also worse than usual. Sinclair has to find a way to deal them. If not we are screwed next season.

Reactions: dansk55

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Josling has twice as many points than struthers does this current year, and mcgregor has a better PPG average than him And probably a better defensive forward than him aswell.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I’d pay more for Josling or McGregor than Struthers. Always been a fan of McGregor’s game. The Sting are still a scary team. Sometimes for the opposition. Sometimes for the Sting fans. If they do decide to sell, they’ve got pieces to move and a lot of solid young talent to build upon.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I can see McGregor fetching more because of his stout 2Way game but I'd be a little surprised if Josling got more than Struthers. Maybe I'm way off but it would surprise me.

Around a month left for these deals to happen & so far it's radio silent for Sarnia. Kooy being out also destroyed his value I'd imagine. We may be stuck with 3 goalies for the whole year. A rare misstep by Sinclair. It was an unnecessary move & it cost hs a 3rd when we are rebuilding.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I can see McGregor fetching more because of his stout 2Way game but I'd be a little surprised if Josling got more than Struthers. Maybe I'm way off but it would surprise me.

Around a month left for these deals to happen & so far it's radio silent for Sarnia. Kooy being out also destroyed his value I'd imagine. We may be stuck with 3 goalies for the whole year. A rare misstep by Sinclair. It was an unnecessary move & it cost hs a 3rd when we are rebuilding.
Ya although I like kooy’s game it was extremely unnecessary to bring him to sarnia, we should of just been asking for picks for Myskiw.

Reactions: Stingland

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Ya although I like kooy’s game it was extremely unnecessary to bring him to sarnia, we should of just been asking for picks for Myskiw.
Disagree. Team was winless, Gaudreau was going away, Langevin was mired in misery, Myskiw was available. To not make that move would have been irresponsible.

Reactions: Lumberking

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Disagree. Team was winless, Gaudreau was going away, Langevin was mired in misery, Myskiw was available. To not make that move would have been irresponsible.
I don't have an issue with claiming Myskiw i have a problem with then trading him AND a 3rd for Kooy when Gaudreau had already returned & Langevin was turning it around. It was unnecessary & a total waste of an asset that could of been used to add a Dman.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Im still hesitant as to what we will get. Struthers just went for a 2nd, 3rd & 6th. He had 81 points last year & is point per game this year. I can't see either of are OAs getting more than him.

As I've mentioned before the market for OAs is also worse than usual. Sinclair has to find a way to deal them. If not we are screwed next season.
I think the latter is more like... next season too

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I don't have an issue with claiming Myskiw i have a problem with then trading him AND a 3rd for Kooy when Gaudreau had already returned & Langevin was turning it around. It was unnecessary & a total waste of an asset that could of been used to add a Dman.
Exactly my point

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Looking ahead to this weekend i think I'd give Gaudreau the start Friday in London. Coming off a great start & London is without McMichael/Foudy (Canada camp) who really carry London's offense.

Can't go wrong either way just something I'd like to see. *Should* beat Mississauga with Langevin in net Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad