Sarnia Sting 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLCynic

Mar 24, 2017
I can see McGregor fetching more because of his stout 2Way game but I'd be a little surprised if Josling got more than Struthers. Maybe I'm way off but it would surprise me.

Around a month left for these deals to happen & so far it's radio silent for Sarnia. Kooy being out also destroyed his value I'd imagine. We may be stuck with 3 goalies for the whole year. A rare misstep by Sinclair. It was an unnecessary move & it cost hs a 3rd when we are rebuilding.

Has there been any word on the severity of Kooy's injury? Is he expected to be out long term?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Looking ahead to this weekend i think I'd give Gaudreau the start Friday in London. Coming off a great start & London is without McMichael/Foudy (Canada camp) who really carry London's offense.

Can't go wrong either way just something I'd like to see. *Should* beat Mississauga with Langevin in net Saturday.
At this point I feel like both goalies are fully interchangeable. Either capable of 1st star performance or a ho-hum game.

Reactions: The Howler

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Call me delusional or call me “clone of Tone”, but here are my picks for this weekend:
SARNIA 5 London 3
SARNIA 5 Missy 2

The Howler

Dec 9, 2015
Wanting to be optimistic and believe they can win if the effort is there
Sting 4 London 2
Sting 5 Missy 3
Got my fingers crossed

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Love it “Clone of Tone”. Sting 6 Knights 4. Sting 7 Fish 2
I think we’ll have a good shot against London considering they’ll be missing 4 players Mcmicheal, Foudy for Canada and Regular, Grunden for the USA

Reactions: dirty12

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I think we’ll have a good shot against London considering they’ll be missing 4 players Mcmicheal, Foudy for Canada and Regular, Grunden for the USA
Unfortunately, some weeks we’re missing half the team, even though they’re in the lineup! Hope they’re all ready for Friday.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I'm Back.... going 8-5 London, 6-5 Sarnia lets go ..... Also, Have the new arena upgrades been discussed?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I'm Back.... going 8-5 London, 6-5 Sarnia lets go ..... Also, Have the new arena upgrades been discussed?
Welcome back. Pragmatism +. ;)
Arena stuff has been mentioned/posted but not debated. Frankly just looking for decent hockey!

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
They just did a piece on CTV London about it. They mentioned it'll cost around 600K worth of upgrades which includes

Dressing room upgrades / gender neutral dressing rooms

They have already started re-doing the suites & they want the arena to be up to "professional standards"

They want to bring back concerts & all that stuff back to the arena/city.

Gonna get new boards/glass & they also want to make the underneath part of the arena to be all connected so that the guys can go to the dressing room/workout room. Said they want it to be a campus like feel.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Legwand also said He & Hatcher absolutely love the city/team & they wanna do something special here. So hopefully that puts to rest the people saying Hatcher is leaving & they don't care about the team.

Doubt they'd be soaking all this money into the team if they didn't care..

For those interested in seeing the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Howler

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I think Sarnia will take advantage of London's depleted line up with their own depleted line up..lol. This one will come down to which goalie is better.

Sting 5 Knights 4 - OT
Sting 7 Trout 3

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I was never one to believe the rumors regarding Hatcher/Legwand not wanting to keep the Sting in Sarnia. There really was no other realistic place for them to even move, especially in Michigan where most people assumed they would move them to. They both live right across the river, maybe a half hour drive at best to come to the rink each day. Even Mark Hunter still lives out on the 80 highway just outside Oil City/Oil Springs and makes his commute to London. It's just not a factor for these guys.

I love what our owners are trying to accomplish and their dedication to do so BUT, the coaching ability just doesn't seem to be there. Is this a matter of just saving money so they don't have to pay a full coaching staff? I don't perceive Hatcher as a guy who would change his ways and how he thinks and coaches, and that's concerning. Sinclair has put a lot of talent in the line up over the years and yet we see the same results year after year for the last 25 years.

PASA defiantly needs the upgrades. City has neglected that arena for so long. There is a lot of potential to make the arena great. Loved what Oshawa did for their players with all their upgrades. Helps make it a more desirable place to play. Hopefully Sarnia can pull off something similar. Not a whole lot of space to work with.

At the end of the day, the people in this city are lucky to have an OHL club. Sure makes the boring winters around here much more bearable!

massey

Sep 5, 2012
I was never one to believe the rumors regarding Hatcher/Legwand not wanting to keep the Sting in Sarnia. There really was no other realistic place for them to even move, especially in Michigan where most people assumed they would move them to. They both live right across the river, maybe a half hour drive at best to come to the rink each day. Even Mark Hunter still lives out on the 80 highway just outside Oil City/Oil Springs and makes his commute to London. It's just not a factor for these guys.

I love what our owners are trying to accomplish and their dedication to do so BUT, the coaching ability just doesn't seem to be there. Is this a matter of just saving money so they don't have to pay a full coaching staff? I don't perceive Hatcher as a guy who would change his ways and how he thinks and coaches, and that's concerning. Sinclair has put a lot of talent in the line up over the years and yet we see the same results year after year for the last 25 years.

PASA defiantly needs the upgrades. City has neglected that arena for so long. There is a lot of potential to make the arena great. Loved what Oshawa did for their players with all their upgrades. Helps make it a more desirable place to play. Hopefully Sarnia can pull off something similar. Not a whole lot of space to work with.

At the end of the day, the people in this city are lucky to have an OHL club. Sure makes the boring winters around here much more bearable!

I think the city and the sting hockey club are lucky to have the Sting fans to pay for this Arena. The Sting fan is paying almost the full tab for the Sting and city's portion to upgrade and maintain the arena on their ticket purchase that they enjoy a few hours on the weekend. Yes they claim some other hockey groups are paying some. There is so much they could do to improve your hockey experience without hardly spending a dime starting with the food concessions and restaurant. We quit eating there prior to the game.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
I don't have an issue with claiming Myskiw i have a problem with then trading him AND a 3rd for Kooy when Gaudreau had already returned & Langevin was turning it around. It was unnecessary & a total waste of an asset that could of been used to add a Dman.

The 3rd is only a conditional pick. If he doesn't play next year, the trade cost the Sting nothing.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
The 3rd is only a conditional pick. If he doesn't play next year, the trade cost the Sting nothing.
i think our GM thought he could pull off some magic with his six or seven goalies. It has done nothing and he is backed into a corner trying to offload one, which will probably get us nothing. TBH, i am not overwhelmed with his team on the ice. You can blame the coaches, and i do, but if you cannot build a defence, chemistry and character among players, you have no hope in winning. His job is more on the line than the coaches for obvious reasons.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

I think Hatcher & Legwand have a hard time adjusting the style to the team they have. Because when we were elite (2015 & 2017) under them we played stout defensively & dominated puck possession.

I wonder if they struggle changing there style/tactics when the team is really inexperienced & it's just to complicated for guys that aren't 19/20 or drafted players.

I said this before but Sinclair can't be ignored here. I'm a huge fan of his but it's not like he has given Hatcher & Legwand a bunch of great Dmen to work with. Like i said the other day we've only taken 9 Dmen in the first 5 rounds / import draft over the last 5 years. Hard to find elite Dmen doing that.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I am also really curios as to what role & how much Staubitz does. I believe he is the defensive coach & the PK coach? Right now both of those are reallllly struggling. Under Lazary & then Barret for a short time the defense was much better.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I am also really curios as to what role & how much Staubitz does. I believe he is the defensive coach & the PK coach? Right now both of those are reallllly struggling. Under Lazary & then Barret for a short time the defense was much better.
Staubitz had like zero? coaching experience when he joined the staff. I honestly don't really know what he brings to the team... I'm just being honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->