Sarnia Sting 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I was never one to believe the rumors regarding Hatcher/Legwand not wanting to keep the Sting in Sarnia. There really was no other realistic place for them to even move, especially in Michigan where most people assumed they would move them to. They both live right across the river, maybe a half hour drive at best to come to the rink each day. Even Mark Hunter still lives out on the 80 highway just outside Oil City/Oil Springs and makes his commute to London. It's just not a factor for these guys.

I love what our owners are trying to accomplish and their dedication to do so BUT, the coaching ability just doesn't seem to be there. Is this a matter of just saving money so they don't have to pay a full coaching staff? I don't perceive Hatcher as a guy who would change his ways and how he thinks and coaches, and that's concerning. Sinclair has put a lot of talent in the line up over the years and yet we see the same results year after year for the last 25 years.

PASA defiantly needs the upgrades. City has neglected that arena for so long. There is a lot of potential to make the arena great. Loved what Oshawa did for their players with all their upgrades. Helps make it a more desirable place to play. Hopefully Sarnia can pull off something similar. Not a whole lot of space to work with.

At the end of the day, the people in this city are lucky to have an OHL club. Sure makes the boring winters around here much more bearable!
Everything underneath the SSEC is atrocious,..... the dressing rooms (including the stings) suck. The zamboni area is terrible, the bathrooms are terrible, the concessions are kinda terrible, the arena from the outside looks ugly, the seats are old, the pads aren't even pads anymore on the seats. Its great to see the arena getting a facelift, I remember when it first opened and it was an elite venue. Hosting several events like the all star game. AS a former player, I always loved dressing in a pimped out dressing room with all the bells and whistles. I honestly believe having nice facilities improves play.
With all of these upgrades, can we make a bid at the 2021 Memorial Cup? Has anyone heard about the begging process or anything. I believe in 2021 its the OHL's turn.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Everything underneath the SSEC is atrocious,..... the dressing rooms (including the stings) suck. The zamboni area is terrible, the bathrooms are terrible, the concessions are kinda terrible, the arena from the outside looks ugly, the seats are old, the pads aren't even pads anymore on the seats. Its great to see the arena getting a facelift, I remember when it first opened and it was an elite venue. Hosting several events like the all star game. AS a former player, I always loved dressing in a pimped out dressing room with all the bells and whistles. I honestly believe having nice facilities improves play.
With all of these upgrades, can we make a bid at the 2021 Memorial Cup? Has anyone heard about the begging process or anything. I believe in 2021 its the OHL's turn.
I've been thinking about that (memorial cup) i could seriously see us bidding. So far Oshawa seems like the only team that is going to be bidding. Add in all these new renovations/scoreboard & they may be doing all this to bid on it.

Not sure we will have the team tho... I think we will just be OK, while WSR/FLT/LDN will all be better.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
I've been thinking about that (memorial cup) i could seriously see us bidding. So far Oshawa seems like the only team that is going to be bidding. Add in all these new renovations/scoreboard & they may be doing all this to bid on it.

Not sure we will have the team tho... I think we will just be OK, while WSR/FLT/LDN will all be better.
might be the only way we see sting at the Memorial Cup, is to host it

Reactions: lazyboy

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
I really like watching hockey at all levels but hosting non ice events at the arena has been a total joke.You go from a world class entertainer like Elton John to basically nothing.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Not sure we could ever see the mem cup being hosted by Sarnia. Smaller market teams have next to no chance now a days. I don't think Sarnia has the arena the league is looking for, regardless of any renovations. I'd be shocked if Sarnia bid.

None the less, it's good to see it being updated no matter how you put it. giving the Sting control over the suites and construction is a good thing. The city has much bigger fish to fry.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
on a side note about the mem cup....

Most claim Sarnia has a capacity of 5,500 for hockey games. This number has always thrown me off. I do not think it's accurate. I'm going to refer to the night we retired Stamkos #91. I remember there being people who had double standing room. The attendance for that game was "sold out". There was 4,615 people there. 900 short of this 5,500 that everyone claims. Am I missing something here?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Perhaps counting box office staff, zamboni drivers, waitresses in the Hive, concession stand servers, players from both teams, etc???
:rolleyes:

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
on a side note about the mem cup....

Most claim Sarnia has a capacity of 5,500 for hockey games. This number has always thrown me off. I do not think it's accurate. I'm going to refer to the night we retired Stamkos #91. I remember there being people who had double standing room. The attendance for that game was "sold out". There was 4,615 people there. 900 short of this 5,500 that everyone claims. Am I missing something here?
I am not sure I was just going by what it says. I do agree the big thing against us is the capacity of the arena .... but I don't think that really matters as much as people think.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I am not sure I was just going by what it says. I do agree the big thing against us is the capacity of the arena .... but I don't think that really matters as much as people think.
Agree. Attendance at memorial cup games has been way less than capacity in recent years. Windsor wasn’t full a couple years ago when they hosted

Reactions: three dog night

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Agree. Attendance at memorial cup games has been way less than capacity in recent years. Windsor wasn’t full a couple years ago when they hosted
Its like the world junior tournament.... organizers need to get their heads outta their asses and go back to what made the tournaments great to begin with. Theres just such an un-authentic feel to them. When the host city doesn't play the arena is like 50% full. Mississauga was the worst memorial cup ever. I love seeing a smaller barn that is packed to the rafters than a bigger barn with empty seats. I honestly think the players like it better too. The Memorial cup in Mississauga was terrible hockey too I thought.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Its like the world junior tournament.... organizers need to get their heads outta their asses and go back to what made the tournaments great to begin with. Theres just such an un-authentic feel to them. When the host city doesn't play the arena is like 50% full. Mississauga was the worst memorial cup ever. I love seeing a smaller barn that is packed to the rafters than a bigger barn with empty seats. I honestly think the players like it better too. The Memorial cup in Mississauga was terrible hockey too I thought.
Shawinigan and Brandon both hosted memorial cups recently with smaller barns than Sarnia..... Even Kelowna has a barn that is similar to Sarnia's. I do agree Oshawa would be nice but, Sarnia would be nicer imo.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Feeling fairly optimistic about this weekend. London is missing some massive guys & Mississauga just isn't that good..

It would be huge if we could win 3of4 or 4of4 heading into the Christmas break. Even if we sell off McGregor & Josling i still think this team (when healthy) can make the playoffs.

It's gotta start now. We can't really afford to fall behind 8, 10, 12 points of a playoff spot.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
I really like watching hockey at all levels but hosting non ice events at the arena has been a total joke.You go from a world class entertainer like Elton John to basically nothing.

The Reason why they went to nothing was because no one supported these extra events.We went to most of them and was always amazed of the poor crowd.Not sure why.Elton John was the only sell out.He only came because he owed somebody a favour.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I’d like to see the sting and college build a big sports bar/restaurant somewhere on campus, where people can park for free and go for drinks or dinner before the game and go for a couple after the game while watching the late nhl games on tv, I think it would do well... be a fun atmosphere and free parking within walking distance of arena and college

Reactions: Maddangler

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I’d like to see the sting and college build a big sports bar/restaurant somewhere on campus, where people can park for free and go for drinks or dinner before the game and go for a couple after the game while watching the late nhl games on tv, I think it would do well... be a fun atmosphere and free parking within walking distance of arena and college
the College is too dumb for this idea.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
What does Berka gotta do get some top-9 minutes? In his small ice time he is actually out there with are high-end guys he generates chances. Also he is showing off he has a very nice shot.

Couldn't of asked for a better start for Sarnia. Must say London still might be a little down after the scary scene in Niagara last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: dansk55

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Like clockwork when London doesn't get there way they start being dirty. God i wish Hatcher was playing.

Gotta close this out. Can't lose composure & take penalties.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Survived that one! Refs did there best to try & get the game toed up. Langevin was spectacular in the 3rd. Loved the play of Hjorth-Kammerer pairing.

Rees left the game with an ankle injury but it sounds like it was precautionary. Hopefully nothing more we'd be screwed with him out..

I'd say the best game all year from are Bottom-6. Alot of OZone time & chances. Chipped in with two goals.

Reactions: Maddangler

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018
Nice win for the lads although the tempo definitely shifted the wrong way midway through the 2nd. Passes became desperate, fwds coasting into the d zone and letting them penetrate with speed too many times. Almost let London back into the game with penalties. Looking for a big win tomorrow night. Go Sting!

Reactions: davewheeler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad