Samuel Morin Status Update?

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
a random poster taking a firm stance on a subject and declaring it not debatable on a forum is the goofiest thing I've ever heard. I think it's easily debatable........ especially after all the comments.

But yeah, Sam Morin will hopefully be a stud!

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
I was never all that high on Lauridsen. The most I ever said was that he played surprisingly well in his late-season stint with the Flyers in 2013 and played well at the Worlds for Denmark. All along, I said his footwork and puckhandling still had to get better and he was likely headed back to the Phantoms to work on those things.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=52745

As for Akeson, what I have said -- and stand by -- is that his combination of lacking size and having average skating means he's had two strikes against him and improving his play without the puck was the key to avoiding strike three. Even after dressing in all seven games against the Rangers in the playoffs, some very highly respected NHL scouts are still dubious that he'll stick in the NHL level, and say that we will know by mid-season next year if he's going to have a spot or be a Mike Maneluk type.

Ah I got a Meltzer reply! You're making me blush, Bill :rolly:

I don't mean to say your arguments are invalid, he's undersized but not super speedy, it's true.

But he's got a winners attitude and he's a team player. I think he's going to overcome those 2 strikes and prove some scouts wrong.

Only time will tell though..

Edit:
With respect to Lauridsen I think your praise just got people here excited. They took one good compliment and extrapolated a lot from it.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
Ah I got a Meltzer reply! You're making me blush, Bill :rolly:

I don't mean to say your arguments are invalid, he's undersized but not super speedy, it's true.

But he's got a winners attitude and he's a team player. I think he's going to overcome those 2 strikes and prove some scouts wrong.

Only time will tell though..

Edit:
With respect to Lauridsen I think your praise just got people here excited. They took one good compliment and extrapolated a lot from it.

I hope Akeson does make it; the team would benefit if he does. I actually admire that he took the sting of an ECHL demotion (after leading the Phantoms in scoring as a rookie) as motivation to prove people wrong, and has since played some games -- and put up some points -- in the NHL. Believe it or not, though, there are still NHL scouts (including at least one who is considered among the very best pro scouts in the league) who question Akeson's commitment level. Old labels can be hard to shake but he can continue to use that as motivation.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yikes....Akeson as potentially a Mike Maneluk type....:laugh:

Well hopefully not since we need some offensive production...but I'm not all that enthused about the Flyers roster this upcoming season but that is ok b/c the Flyers need to be more patient and measured in their approach going forward.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Happy too see Morin look so solid in that video. I know he has trouble with small fast players but he looks like he could be in the league sooner than I thought. I think some time with Pronger will make a #1 dman in the league which is pretty incredible.

I really would not be surprised to see him dominate the AHL and be called in once we have a injury and staying.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I hope Akeson does make it; the team would benefit if he does. I actually admire that he took the sting of an ECHL demotion (after leading the Phantoms in scoring as a rookie) as motivation to prove people wrong, and has since played some games -- and put up some points -- in the NHL. Believe it or not, though, there are still NHL scouts (including at least one who is considered among the very best pro scouts in the league) who question Akeson's commitment level. Old labels can be hard to shake but he can continue to use that as motivation.

First, thanks for coming here to clarify your position. Akeson is intriguing to me as a copper coin in a mudpile that was the Flyers prospect pool until recently. His showing in the playoffs hopefully gives him a fair shake – nothing more – at earning a spot on the roster.

As for Lauridsen, the franchise should be chuffed that they got 15 games out of a 7th rounder, albeit in a lost season. With the addition of actual quality defensive prospects, guys like Lauridsen, Manning, etc., should probably be pondering their future with the organization if they aspire to be anything but career AHLers.

sg12lw

Aug 22, 2008
a random poster taking a firm stance on a subject and declaring it not debatable on a forum is the goofiest thing I've ever heard. I think it's easily debatable........ especially after all the comments.

But yeah, Sam Morin will hopefully be a stud!

Member since 08, nearly 900 posts.... if that makes me random, what does that make you??

:help:

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
I think Morin is going to surprise a lot of people. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder, and for someone who's 6'7 to have a chip on his shoulder.. look out

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Well according to twitter he is 6'7/6'8 and weighing 224LBs now and wears a 6xxl shirt lol.

He also broke(I think his own) record for jump height. Not only tall but athletic. Going to be a stud. Also saw if he heads back to the Q he will captain Rimouski next year.

GoingTopShelf

Aug 1, 2012
Well according to twitter he is 6'7/6'8 and weighing 224LBs now and wears a 6xxl shirt lol.

He also broke(I think his own) record for jump height. Not only tall but athletic. Going to be a stud. Also saw if he heads back to the Q he will captain Rimouski next year.

Holy ****! :amazed:

If he keeps his mobility...wow. Sam "The Linebacker" Morin.

Good with the C! I hope he goes back to the Q and work on his offensive game (and the other stuff to, ofc).

Will probably play 25 min and PP+PK? Sounds like a great option :nod:

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Awesome, one more season in the Q and he might be ready for the Flyers. To be safe, they'll probably do one more season in the AHL after that to let him adjust again to a different game against Pros. Anything more than that would start to stunt him, he's already grown a lot since his draft last year, I'm excited to see him in 2 years.

He's gonna be a beast, everything we've missed since Pronger

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
It's kinda funny how pretty much anyone who was mad at the pick has now done a 180 on him and can't wait for him to play on the team :laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wasn't happy at the time because I didn't know much about him and I really wanted us to get Ristolainen.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
hu morin is 6-7, 6-8

224 lbs is what he tips the toledos at. and a freakish athlete.

that really intimidates me.and i dont intimidate easy. i think the disease guys suffered from in the 70s,80s,90s called philly flu is gonna move into the wells fargo center. and their is no vacinne for philly flu. take your lumps and get out alive. do we get to play the russians:laugh:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm not saying that Sam will crack the roster this fall, but wow, 6-7 and 225 pounds. That's NHL-ready size. I hope they send him back to Rimouski for a final year of junior to really let him dominate and then come to camp next year to contend for a spot. Wow, still can't get over how much mass he's added since the end of his junior season. Loving the work ethic this kid shows.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Happy too see Morin look so solid in that video. I know he has trouble with small fast players but he looks like he could be in the league sooner than I thought. I think some time with Pronger will make a #1 dman in the league which is pretty incredible.

I really would not be surprised to see him dominate the AHL and be called in once we have a injury and staying.
He really looks more solid now. This kid will be a monster when he grows up. This defense will be stacked in a few years if our kids pan out. Very nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad