Samuel Morin Status Update?

SilkyMitts

Apr 29, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Coburn and Morin are not the same players. Morin can skate. Coburn can skate better. Coburn definitely has better puck skills. Morin is tougher and has a harder shot. Neither have great awareness. But right now I'm not seeing Morin as great at getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

speaking of speed, i caught a few minutes of a flyers v stars game from 2007 on nhl network last night and coburn's skating looked so good. skated the puck up the ice very quickly

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Morin has the four s's as they are often refereed to. He has awareness, I don't know how you came to that conclusion? Did you pick it up watching development camp? Morin has a great hockey mind and has the size to boot. These kids take time when learning the game, especially when they are that much larger than almost everyone else. His puck skills aren't terrible either, I have seen in games where he makes extremely fast plays with the puck and they are tape to tape. Just because they have him doing one handed drills doesn't mean he can't handle the puck..

Just going on what I've seen, mostly from the WJCs, that his stickhandling and passing seemed to be weaknesses.

Certainly not saying he can't or won't improve, I'm sure he will.

But I just read Reznik's reports of development camp and it's interesting that he commented on Morin's stickhandling as being subpar.

That jives with what I have seen.

But again, I understand he's 19, huge, and developing. Just saying his puck skills didn't seem to be a natural strength.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Eh, stickhandling is the least of my concerns with Morin. Chara and Pronger weren't master puck handlers. They just made smart decisions and great passes.

He doesn't need to have good hands, and I don't expect him to either.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Eh, stickhandling is the least of my concerns with Morin. Chara and Pronger weren't master puck handlers. They just made smart decisions and great passes.

He doesn't need to have good hands, and I don't expect him to either.

Hes got to be able to handle passes back to the point on the powerplay or whenever we are in the offensive zone. Giroux and Voracek look for short passes back to the d all the time and most teams are going to be right on top of you if you cant handle that pass. Hes going to need to be able to stick handle his way out of situations when guys are coming at him full speed and he is flat footed at the point

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Stickhandling and passing are concerns when you are a defenseman trying to get the puck out of your own zone against NHL-level speed.

He's got plenty of time to develop. I just found it interesting that Reznik's camp report, and I just read another one on Sportsology, both said Morin's stickhandling was subpar, which is exactly what I had noticed when I've seen him play.

If he's unable to improve his hands, it will limit his ceiling.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
His report is of a player that hasn't been on skates since April. These guys aren't in midseason form. Some guys can pick it up easier than others.

I never really thought Morin's puck handling was a chronic problem. Was he Gostisbehere? No, but he's far from Oliver Lauridsen. You have to consider this is a guy who went through a pretty big growth spurt and is still getting used to his body. The coordination is the last thing to come. He's a pretty athletic guy, so I'm not too concerned. I actually thought during the preseason last year with the big boys, his puck skills were pretty good- better than they were just 5 months prior.

If this is still a problem come December, color me concerned, but he has a lot of hockey in between then with U20 camp, Q preseason, and Flyers' preseason camp.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I have never seen so many people make such definitive statements about players based off basically a participation camp. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm seeing far too many categorical statements for a glorified meet and greet with a few offseason pick-up practices involved. I'll still read every bit of info reported with great interest, but I'm not going to draw a single conclusion from them.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, I'm seeing far too many categorical statements for a glorified meet and greet with a few offseason pick-up practices involved. I'll still read every bit of info reported with great interest, but I'm not going to draw a single conclusion from them.

It's even worse for the Flyers since they literally eliminated every competitive element out of the camp these past years (no scrimmages, no non-affiliated invitees, etc.) for the purpose of basically downplaying the importance of the whole thing.

The best is on the prospect board thread how Ho-Sang vindicated himself by scoring a couple of nice goals in a 3 on 3 tournament according to a good proportion of people in there (mostly Isles fans). :laugh:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
It's even worse for the Flyers since they literally eliminated every competitive element out of the camp these past years (no scrimmages, no non-affiliated invitees, etc.) for the purpose of basically downplaying the importance of the whole thing.

The best is on the prospect board thread how Ho-Sang vindicated himself by scoring a couple of nice goals in a 3 on 3 tournament according to a good proportion of people in there (mostly Isles fans). :laugh:

Oh god, I've been following that thread trying to restrain myself from lashing out for the past few days. I lost control and finally posted in the thread last night. Predictably, it was ignored and buried under a sea of NYI fans slobbering on him. :laugh:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Stickhandling and passing are concerns when you are a defenseman trying to get the puck out of your own zone against NHL-level speed.

He's got plenty of time to develop. I just found it interesting that Reznik's camp report, and I just read another one on Sportsology, both said Morin's stickhandling was subpar, which is exactly what I had noticed when I've seen him play.

If he's unable to improve his hands, it will limit his ceiling.

When i watched his games in the q i noticed he was always so quick to retrieve the puck during dump and chases and he was quite adept at making good outlet passes. When watching the few drills they showed his puck handling looked very bad especially juxtaposed with ghost. At the next level when players are faster , if he does not become better at handling the puck he will be susceptible to a forecheck on dump and chases since he is such a large target.

This is what concerns me because in today's game the dump and chase is being phased out because dmen are so quick to the puck and are able to get it out of the zone. I think this is something to pay attention to during some of his preseason games.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Man if Morin could just improve his stick handling he would absolutely destroy the Q, and HFboards would have a man crush on him by December.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Man if Morin could just improve his stick handling he would absolutely destroy the Q, and HFboards would have a man crush on him by December.

I'm not even sure it comes down to his stickhandling.

According to extraskater, Morin was playing PP2 minutes in Rimouski with a revolving door of complete crap alongside of him. At even strength, he kept pace with Zadorov's production. But Zadorov had a strong offensive season because he played on a PP unit with Horvat, Domi, and Tierney.

I'm curious as to what Morin's stat line would have looked like if he played with those three on the PP.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
When i watched his games in the q i noticed he was always so quick to retrieve the puck during dump and chases and he was quite adept at making good outlet passes. When watching the few drills they showed his puck handling looked very bad especially juxtaposed with ghost. At the next level when players are faster , if he does not become better at handling the puck he will be susceptible to a forecheck on dump and chases since he is such a large target.

This is what concerns me because in today's game the dump and chase is being phased out because dmen are so quick to the puck and are able to get it out of the zone. I think this is something to pay attention to during some of his preseason games.

Agreed.

And to whoever talked about people making definitive statements based on prospect camp,

My comments about Morin's hands are based on what I noticed when watching the WJC and YouTube clips. It was a little disconcerting, then, reading reports from prospect camp with multiple people mentioning that Morin struggled with stickhandling.

But I don't see anyone making definitive statements. I see people sharing observations about the current skills of a 19 year old prospect. I don't see anyone saying Morin can't or won't improve.

I think people should be encouraged to post their observations about prospects. The more info from more sources the better. I love reading opinions about the team's next generation. And I don't just want to hear good stuff, I want to hear concerns, too.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I'm not even sure it comes down to his stickhandling.

According to extraskater, Morin was playing PP2 minutes in Rimouski with a revolving door of complete crap alongside of him. At even strength, he kept pace with Zadorov's production. But Zadorov had a strong offensive season because he played on a PP unit with Horvat, Domi, and Tierney.

I'm curious as to what Morin's stat line would have looked like if he played with those three on the PP.

His stat line would probably be similar maybe slightly higher than Zadorov's. But, when I am talking about destroying the Q, I am talking 60+ points. Over PPG.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
His stat line would probably be similar maybe slightly higher than Zadorov's. But, when I am talking about destroying the Q, I am talking 60+ points. Over PPG.

I really don't know if Morin is going to get that top pp time because Rimouski still has Kostalek and They rely heavily on morin in other areas.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I didn't say the under 20 WJC.

Pretty sure most people understood what I was talking about. The Under 18 WJC is a WJC.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I really don't know if Morin is going to get that top pp time because Rimouski still has Kostalek and They rely heavily on morin in other areas.

I believe since, it's his last season in Jr's next year he will get top line minutes. I expect him to improve in every aspect of his game. He is still very young, hes just so physically mature that it's easy to forget.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I believe since, it's his last season in Jr's next year he will get top line minutes. I expect him to improve in every aspect of his game. He is still very young, hes just so physically mature that it's easy to forget.

it will be kostalek's last year too. and they could easily go 4 forward 1 d.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad