Samuel Morin Status Update?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I look forward to getting hockeystreams and watching him. I remember he looked kind of lanky and awkward in available video when he was drafting. It sounds like he's really coming together.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I'm not saying that Sam will crack the roster this fall, but wow, 6-7 and 225 pounds. That's NHL-ready size. I hope they send him back to Rimouski for a final year of junior to really let him dominate and then come to camp next year to contend for a spot. Wow, still can't get over how much mass he's added since the end of his junior season. Loving the work ethic this kid shows.

He's huge, and strong. They were running some kind of drill at camp yesterday, where one of the coaches, and then Leier, tried their hardest just to move him. When he dug in he wouldn't budge at all.

I love his attitude, too. He looked to be communicating with Kjell Samuellson the entire time, and always at the front of the group when the coaches were speaking. During some of the puck drills you could clearly see he was listening and making adjustments. Specifically during a passing drill, where it looked like they were working on receiving pucks (which Gostisbehere made look very easy by the way - every puck that hit his stick he stopped flat and put right back on the tape of the next guy), there was a noticeable improvement in his technique. He needs to work on it still but you can just tell the guy wants to learn.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
He's huge, and strong. They were running some kind of drill at camp yesterday, where one of the coaches, and then Leier, tried their hardest just to move him. When he dug in he wouldn't budge at all.

I love his attitude, too. He looked to be communicating with Kjell Samuellson the entire time, and always at the front of the group when the coaches were speaking. During some of the puck drills you could clearly see he was listening and making adjustments. Specifically during a passing drill, where it looked like they were working on receiving pucks (which Gostisbehere made look very easy by the way - every puck that hit his stick he stopped flat and put right back on the tape of the next guy), there was a noticeable improvement in his technique. He needs to work on it still but you can just tell the guy wants to learn.

To back up your point about him learning:

@anthonymingioni: #Flyers Director of Scouting Chris Pryor on Sam Morin since his injury. "Really impressed with Sam. Has a lot of energy & life to him." 1/2

"(Sam's) got the right frame of mind & attitude to make himself continuously get better. 1st couple days have been really good."-Pryor. 2/2

Bryz4shiz

Feb 10, 2009
Alhoa Oe
All this good character stuff makes me a little nervous. The last player who said all the right things and had a super attitude won the Vezina for Columbus.

All jokes asides I'm really looking forward to watching Morin develop. He really could become an absolute beast.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not saying that Sam will crack the roster this fall, but wow, 6-7 and 225 pounds. That's NHL-ready size. I hope they send him back to Rimouski for a final year of junior to really let him dominate and then come to camp next year to contend for a spot. Wow, still can't get over how much mass he's added since the end of his junior season. Loving the work ethic this kid shows.

That's not NHL ready size, that's freakin' Godzilla size for ice hockey.
How many NHL players (not goons, real players) are that big?
Chura is 6'9 255 lbs, so he'll never catch him, but figure Morin will probably top out at 230-35 lbs and he can actually skate.

Here's a list I came across on a HF board:

Zdeno Chara 6'9 255
Derek Boogaard 6'7 258
Hal Gill 6'7 250
Andy Sutton 6'6 245
Boris Valabik 6'7 240
Alexei Semenov 6'6 235
Olli Malmivaara 6'7 230
Nik Antropov 6'6 230
Ryan O'Byrne 6'6 228
Jeff Schultz 6'6 221

So Morin is already 9th with an arrow!

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
That's not NHL ready size, that's freakin' Godzilla size for ice hockey.
How many NHL players (not goons, real players) are that big?
Chura is 6'9 255 lbs, so he'll never catch him, but figure Morin will probably top out at 230-35 lbs and he can actually skate.

Here's a list I came across on a HF board:

Zdeno Chara 6'9 255
Derek Boogaard 6'7 258
Hal Gill 6'7 250
Andy Sutton 6'6 245
Boris Valabik 6'7 240
Alexei Semenov 6'6 235
Olli Malmivaara 6'7 230
Nik Antropov 6'6 230
Ryan O'Byrne 6'6 228
Jeff Schultz 6'6 221

So Morin is already 9th with an arrow!

Isn't Myers 6'7 or 6'8?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
watching morin in that passing drill was not too impressive. especially being right next to ghost. Those little things are huge at the next level.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
watching morin in that passing drill was not too impressive. especially being right next to ghost. Those little things are huge at the next level.

I'm not to worried, he has at least another year to work on those areas of his game

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I can not stress enough how little should be taken from this camp. None of the coaches are evaluating these kids because they take it for what it is: just a summer time skate. Nothing more or less.

You can tell some very basic things on the surface (eg, who has a nice stride, who has hands, etc.), but you can not judge a players development or potential from anything going on at these camps around the league. Nobody should be impressed or disappointed with anybody here.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
I know people are hoping for another Pronger, but I think another Coburn is reasonable.

I think I get what you mean in terms of skill, but Coburn just never had a mean streak. Sure he could be mean in the playoffs occasionally, but it's just not in him deep down.

Pronger/Morin on the other hand...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
6'7'' meaner smarter Coburn is a very valuable player. Especially if he's paired with someone like Ghost to balance out the offense and defense. And honestly he still has a good chance to improve offensively since he looked much better when he was actually given offensive opportunities.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
I can not stress enough how little should be taken from this camp. None of the coaches are evaluating these kids because they take it for what it is: just a summer time skate. Nothing more or less.

You can tell some very basic things on the surface (eg, who has a nice stride, who has hands, etc.), but you can not judge a players development or potential from anything going on at these camps around the league. Nobody should be impressed or disappointed with anybody here.

I agree, Laperriere said it best during last year training camp.

from 2m28s until 4m51s

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Biggest difference between Coburn and Morin is their clapper. Coburns blows and is a very inaccurate shot while morins is Still developing and is much more accurate. A Coburn with offense is pretty much a #1 in this league

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I agree, Laperriere said it best during last year training camp.

from 2m28s until 4m51s

Exactly. I'm rolling my eyes at all the fans across the league who are getting wood watching some of their new toys on the ice. Of course HoSang or McCann or Vrana look great at development camp. They're first round picks playing against inferior competition, I'd hope they look awesome! But wait until watching them at training camp/preseason before making judgments and projections.

The fact that Sam Morin is now 6'7 and 225 lbs is the only news I've found particularly relevant. Don't care if he bombed some one handed stick drill or whatever.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Speaking of Morin's slap shot, it did this today:

14449585207_d002f57c49_n.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/BobRotruck/status/487987857483501568/photo/1

Last edited:

RJ8812*

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but you don't need to have a super hard shot to break the glass. I've broken one before with my shot. It depends on where you make contact with the glass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad