Samuel Morin Status Update?

Brozgalov

May 11, 2010
Bucks County, PA
I was there for the glass breaking... he had bombs of shots (much harder then anyone else) but the shot that actually broke the glass didn't seem to be one... must have just caught it correctly.

Either way, I was most impressed with Morin... I didn't think he would look that much better then everyone else. Not saying hes ready, but I am becoming a believer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not to rain on everyone's parade, but you don't need to have a super hard shot to break the glass. I've broken one before with my shot. It depends on where you make contact with the glass

Way to go dude, now no one will compare him to Pronger

rick25

Aug 3, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Hi, Rimouski fan here. Since the mid-2000's, some teams in the q start to put a lot more effort in physical training for the player. It was something really lacking compare to the whl and ohl. Rimouski is one of them.

The team hire a firm specialize in fitness. They check all players individually and provide personal training program that player have to respect. They come at the training camp and come back every 2 months to adjust each program based on progress of each player.

A player like Morin with great work ethic benefit a lot from that. I think it will show this year both at summer and training camp.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Good to hear. I just hope he doesn't put too much weight on too soon that it effects his mobility. As great as it would be to have a 6'7 240 lbs defenseman, if its at the cost of his mobility then I'm not a fan. What makes Morin valuable is that he is big AND mobile.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hi, Rimouski fan here. Since the mid-2000's, some teams in the q start to put a lot more effort in physical training for the player. It was something really lacking compare to the whl and ohl. Rimouski is one of them.

The team hire a firm specialize in fitness. They check all players individually and provide personal training program that player have to respect. They come at the training camp and come back every 2 months to adjust each program based on progress of each player.

A player like Morin with great work ethic benefit a lot from that. I think it will show this year both at summer and training camp.

Thanks for coming here to post. Please feel free to post Morin updates any time.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Good to hear. I just hope he doesn't put too much weight on too soon that it effects his mobility. As great as it would be to have a 6'7 240 lbs defenseman, if its at the cost of his mobility then I'm not a fan. What makes Morin valuable is that he is big AND mobile.

6'7" 240 isn't that big. He knows how to skate well. So I don't see it being too much of an issue but as you say not too soon for the weight. He needs to learn how to progress with it. Seems to me he will be able to do that.

I'd be concerned if he was 6'1" 240 and skating. Being taller with the weight will benefit him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
6'7" 240 isn't that big. He knows how to skate well. So I don't see it being too much of an issue but as you say not too soon for the weight. He needs to learn how to progress with it. Seems to me he will be able to do that.

I'd be concerned if he was 6'1" 240 and skating. Being taller with the weight will benefit him.

Well Big Buff is 6'5'' 340 and he can still skate..

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Just watch the defensive drills. He skates and transitions very well for a man his size and certainly well enough for it not to be any kind of liability overall.

Morin has several things he could stand to improve on. For example, using his reach/stick against smaller player, understanding angles against smaller, faster forwards, reducing the load-up on his slapper, and harnessing his temper as smarter aggression. While his skating can improve (like most players his age), it's certainly not a hindrance from my viewing.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just watch the defensive drills. He skates and transitions very well for a man his size and certainly well enough for it not to be any kind of liability overall.

Morin has several things he could stand to improve on. For example, using his reach/stick against smaller player, understanding angles against smaller, faster forwards, reducing the load-up on his slapper, and harnessing his temper as smarter aggression. While his skating can improve (like most players his age), it's certainly not a hindrance from my viewing.

The good thing is all the things he really needs to improve on are mostly things that come with experience and maturity.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
6'7" 240 isn't that big. He knows how to skate well. So I don't see it being too much of an issue but as you say not too soon for the weight.

For a hockey player? Yeah, that's pretty big. That would be one of the biggest players in the league behind Chara and Oleksiak (I guess we can count him). I mentioned this when he was drafted and people were throwing out weights for him, he appears to me to have pretty narrow shoulders for a guy of his size (the wingspan measurement kind of confirms this) so I don't think he's going to be a guy that naturally packs on a ton of weight. I don't think his NHL playing weight is far off from what he is now. I don't see him being over 235 at his peak. I think he's got more of a Tyler Myers build- who is 6'8 228 and still moves quite well.

He needs to learn how to progress with it. Seems to me he will be able to do that.

Progress is the key word. He doesn't need to pack it all on at once. He's still growing. He's already put on ~25 pounds in a year. That's more than plenty.

Also weren't there questions about his ability to keep weight on prior to the draft? He's 224 now, but that's without skating (due to injury) and presumably working out on a regular strength program. I have to imagine if he were skating on a regular basis, that number would be lower.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
The good thing is all the things he really needs to improve on are mostly things that come with experience and maturity.

Indeed. He'll continue to progress for sure. It's a matter of how far those things (and probably a few others, like puckmoving) progress that will define him as good solid NHLer or star.

I'm hoping he draws big minutes a Rimouski in all situations. It will do him well to improve across the board.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Coburn and Morin are not the same players. Morin can skate. Coburn can skate better. Coburn definitely has better puck skills. Morin is tougher and has a harder shot. Neither have great awareness. But right now I'm not seeing Morin as great at getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
Coburn and Morin are not the same players. Morin can skate. Coburn can skate better. Coburn definitely has better puck skills. Morin is tougher and has a harder shot. Neither have great awareness. But right now I'm not seeing Morin as great at getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

You're comparing a 29 yrs old top pairing Dman to a 19 yrs old Dman still developing in the CHL.

RJ8812*

lol what?

For hockey, both that height and weight are HUGE

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

Morin has the four s's as they are often refereed to. He has awareness, I don't know how you came to that conclusion? Did you pick it up watching development camp? Morin has a great hockey mind and has the size to boot. These kids take time when learning the game, especially when they are that much larger than almost everyone else. His puck skills aren't terrible either, I have seen in games where he makes extremely fast plays with the puck and they are tape to tape. Just because they have him doing one handed drills doesn't mean he can't handle the puck..

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Not to rain on everyone's parade, but you don't need to have a super hard shot to break the glass. I've broken one before with my shot. It depends on where you make contact with the glass

Wow no kidding. I never knew that. I thought you had to hit it really, really, really, really hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00