Post-Game Talk: Same Ol' Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Just watched the game. Seeing how it's the trend to skip writing paragraphs and just write dot-point thoughts instead, that's what I'll do.
- We lost for the same reasons we lost against Chicago in the play-ins. Can't manufacture the intensity required and can't defend
- I feel like this deserves a second dot-point. Despite spending the entire off-season *talking* about being better defensively, it appears there has been no progression.
- Koskinen wasn't even that bad
- The Jones-Larsson pairing is a liability at this point. It's game one and they look like a pairing on game 75 of the season when a team is decimated by injuries and had to call-up extra d-men from the farm team. I tried to warn people over the past few months, but there's still posters that think Larsson is a top-4 defenceman
- Very cool to see the chemistry between Kahun and Draisaitl. I hope that Kahun is a good enough hockey player to be successful on Draisaitl's line.
- Yamamoto looked great too
- Barrie already looks like our #1 defenceman and his pairing with Koekkeok looked like our top.pairing despite all the depth charts having them starting the game as our 3rd pairing. Hopefully we can find a better defence partner for Barrie to handle all.the minutes.
- PP looked out of sync. I don't think Barrie had anything to do with it as he was moving the puck really well. Hopefully it's just rust. Games like this just highlight how reliant we are for the PP to be successful in order to get the W.
- it's only one game, but Puljujarvi doesn't really look much different to me than he did last time he was on the team. I'm still going to give him a fair amount of games for him to show me that he's improved.
- That whole Archibald-Turris-Puljujarvi lined liked terrible. I guess that's what happens when you put 3 random bottom-6 players together for the first time.
- McDavid had a very quiet night which is very surprising. I've been getting nervous about the amount of hype he's been getting in the lead up to this game to the point of unrealistic expectations.
- I'm just going to come out and say it. The jerseys are horrible. The reverse retros are horrible, and the orange jerseys are bad as well. New doesn't automatically mean good. Just go back to the classics.

I think you're the one manufacturing unrealistic expectations.

He had contributed directly to 7 scoring chances, more than any player on either team. That includes two breakaways, two drawn penalties, and a post/crossbar. Any other day and he would have ended up with 2-3 points.

Reactions: joestevens29

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
WE GOT TOASTED BOYS!

My 2 cents:

- I can live with Chiasson in the line up (although a grandma in a wheelchair would be faster but that's another thing). Khaira on the other hand has to go. He brings absolutely nothing to the table. Let Haas, McLeod or Shore play please. Thank you.

- Liked the play of JP. Had a good chance and was buzzing. His balance is much better already and he will have a good season.

- Adam Larsson is gone soon and I can't wait for that day. He's a shell of his former self. I don't blame Jones at all because Larsson should be the one guiding him and securing that pair.

- I'm torn. Should Kahun play with McDavid and we unite DRY?

- Both times Brock Boeser had time to shoot I knew Koski was f***ing done for. Brock Boeser is a god. Fight me if you disagree! f***ing stupid beautiful Brock Boeser.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Watched the highlights and plus I also saw a bit of the game this morning.

First word that came to mind was sloppy. A bit concerning, considering how much it reminded me of the play-ins. They're trying to make mid-season plays while rusty; not a recipe for success...

Although they made some good plays, that lack of polish had them miss or allowed the Canucks to make a nice play to recover.

The 5 star variety of mistake the Oil made in the d-zone though... Dear god, Tippett likely had an brain aneurysm watching from the bench... Several goals against due to an inability to clear the zone and losing a battle at the blueline; or sloppy coverage in transition, where they whiffed going for all or nothing plays.

Other quick thoughts...

I saw more floating out of guys that I'd expect to be feeling the heat. *Cough* Khaira *cough*

While I thought Kahun had a good game (his lack of finish is concerning though), I'm not sure he's a top 6 option. Gives me the same vibe as Jurco from last year. Hopefully though him, Ennis, Neal, and possibly Benson can play hot potato for the roll.

Considering none of the Canadian teams are physical (outside of Calgary), I think they'd be far better to go small and speedy.

Kahun-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
RNH-McDavid-Kassian
Ennis-Turris-Puljujarvi
Nygard-Haas-Archibald

Maybe swap in Chiasson or Khaira for Ennis if you want some more size beyond just Kassian. Though give that spot to Neal once he's healthy.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think you're the one manufacturing unrealistic expectations.

He had contributed directly to 7 scoring chances, more than any player on either team. That includes two breakaways, two drawn penalties, and a post/crossbar. Any other day and he would have ended up with 2-3 points.

What gives you that impression? I haven't made one comment on these boards regarding my expectations for McDavid this season. I've been so excited about it starting I've been listening to Edmonton sports podcasts all week leading up today.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
What gives you that impression? I haven't made one comment on these boards regarding my expectations for McDavid this season. I've been so excited about it starting I've been listening to Edmonton sports podcasts all week leading up today.

Ahh sorry, I didn't mean to single you out like that. It was in response to you saying "McDavid had a quiet night", which a few other posters here echoed.

He had more scoring chances than any player on either team, including two breakaways and a crossbar. Any other night that would have translated into 2+ points.

Basically I just didn't want anyone blaming the loss on McDavid, when he had a strong night at both sides of the rink.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
4tsiw7.jpg

That is all.

Reactions: Laodongxi

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I think we have already seen the tendencies of some players and our need to reorganize our board. Tippett running with the status quo is the biggest danger. Perhaps the taxi already needs to deliver two.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Ahh sorry, I didn't mean to single you out like that. It was in response to you saying "McDavid had a quiet night", which a few other posters here echoed.

He had more scoring chances than any player on either team, including two breakaways and a crossbar. Any other night that would have translated into 2+ points.

Basically I just didn't want anyone blaming the loss on McDavid, when he had a strong night at both sides of the rink.

I definitely wouldn't blame the loss on him. With that being said, we lose virtually every game that he gets shutout. Just the sad reality.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Turris and Barrie were both bad. Puljujarvi does some good things but you can still see he is ineffective at making subtle plays. Kahun and Koekkoek both had solid debuts.
Tbh I didnt mind barrie , most of his passes were tape on tape but the Oilers forwards weren't converting on anything which I just see as oh first game with no preseason yips

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Goalie play sunk us in the play-ins last year. Goalie play is why Holland went after Markstrom. The quality of our goalies was the biggest question mark on this team.

If you switched the Oilers goalie for the other team's goalie last night the Oilers would have won. I bet we will be able to say that at least a dozen times this season.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well it was game 1 and I do expect some hiccups as we saw last night.

The one hiccup though that is really scary for me is playing Vancouver 9 more times. They have some good shooters and goals that we were seeing yesterday will continue to happen. Our goalies scare me with those top shelf goals. We are really going to have to figure out a way to push those key shooters out to the side, because I don't think our goalies are going to all of a sudden be better at those top corner shots

Reactions: harpoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad