Post-Game Talk: Same Ol' Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think you're the one manufacturing unrealistic expectations.

He had contributed directly to 7 scoring chances, more than any player on either team. That includes two breakaways, two drawn penalties, and a post/crossbar. Any other day and he would have ended up with 2-3 points.
The only thing I didn't like is he tried too many times to split the d. There was literally no room. I suspect he'll make adjustments and try avoid those types of plays if the Vancouver d are going to play that tight.

Reactions: Oilers 322

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Lets close this thread...new day...new game...new GDT please....also be all positive after only one L to start the season...nothing happened yet...we can jump from the bridge after we lose again today :)

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Anyone else think the ice was horrific as well? Thought I was watching a June game in Florida, though maybe that was the empty arena

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
"I don't know who needs to hear this" but I think that commentator was imbibing his energy into the team....

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I legit don't understand how ANYONE could blame ANY of that travesty on Koskinen

Yeah, none of that was the tenders fault. Yeah, I guess he didn't make any "big saves", but he was hung out to dry on essentially every single goal, except maybe the 2nd Boeser goal which was a ridiculous shot by a very good shooter.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Khaira gets waive and he responds with laying an absolute egg tonight.
I have always had hope for him, but now my only hope is that this was his last game in an Oilers Jersey.

I think Haas takes his job this year for sure. Haas plays a WAY better defensive game and has enough speed to have an impact. What does Khaira actually do?

The reality is that we are talking about the 4th line C, and the problems with this team are our D. We could have the worlds best 4th line C, but if we have players like Larsson playing like they did last night (Nurse/Bear, I thought played fine actually), directly responsible for 2 GA, well....

Reactions: nabob and MessierII

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
defense picked up where the where they left off against the Hawks
shame on Holland not bringing in actual defenders

How exactly was he to do that? He brought in Barrie for a really cheap deal, but other than that? Piets was the only really good Dman available in the off-season. Schmidt became available late in the game because Vegas needed to dump money, and our cap was already full at that point. I can't blame Holland for that.

If he doesn't do something to address the defense next off-season though, where we have lots of cap room, THEN I'll be pissed. But Holland can't invent cap space, so I can't blame him.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Khaira just floated around again. Kassian is trash when there are no fans. Kick him out of that top line. Anyone with some jump or juice instantly makes the top line better

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He needs a boot from this team. That extension was a massive error.

I had one massive misgiven about the Kassian extension. I realize why they did it. My problem is that when we were in close games and we needed our best players were on the ice, most games I watched last year and in the bubble? He was on the bench, I did not watch all games, but most games

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really never thought of it until Gazzola mentioned it, but when was the last time we had a line of all right shots?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I had one massive misgiven about the Kassian extension. I realize why they did it. My problem is that when we were in close games and we needed our best players were on the ice, most games I watched last year and in the bubble? He was on the bench, I did not watch all games, but most games
The Kassian we got in the playoffs a few years ago was a cruel illusion. he's basically been a ghost since unless someone gets under his skin (which isn't hard to do).

Extending him was a mistake. He's been invisible since the extension.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
How exactly was he to do that? He brought in Barrie for a really cheap deal, but other than that? Piets was the only really good Dman available in the off-season. Schmidt became available late in the game because Vegas needed to dump money, and our cap was already full at that point. I can't blame Holland for that.

If he doesn't do something to address the defense next off-season though, where we have lots of cap room, THEN I'll be pissed. But Holland can't invent cap space, so I can't blame him.
Pretty much. Not much he could do. The hope and I don't like hoping for this is that one of the young guys can step up.

The other hope was that by adding Barrie that it gives our defense a different look. It may not help with the battling issues we have, but it should help with getting the puck out quicker. And at the end of the day given what was available it was well worth the shot

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't know what people saw in Kahun other than one maybe two decent give n go with Drai.

He has got the Toby Rieder vibe to him
Disappointed in Turris and Barrie as well.
Puljujarvi looked the same as before but hopefully gets a longer leash this time around.

I don't know how anybody who watched that game could come away with this impression. Kahun was all over it in the offensive zone especially in the second half of the game. The entire line was creating tons of chances every shift seemingly.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Smith with the start tonight...

To be expected but outside of back to backs we should be staying away from Smith. There are a few, thank goodness not many, who are calling out goaltending for last night's fail... Completely not true. Sad as it is to say he was one of our better players. As most others noted he was left out to dry on all but one of the last goals. You honestly don't see that many grade A AA opportunities given up by NHL clubs even in preseason. Last night was a train wreck. A glimpse back into the decade of darkness level bad defensively.

For those that do think Koskinen was bad last night and isn't good... You do realize we are left with geriatric Smith or basically nothing. Outside a curious case of Mike Smith taking place without Koskinen our season is sunk. So those trying to pin team losses on the guy be aware if you really are down on Koskinen you are basically saying the Oilers season is already over.

Even if Holland had the space or resources I don't see a goalie upgrade possible this year. It will be up to the team in front of Koskinen to tighten the f*** up.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I don't know how anybody who watched that game could come away with this impression. Kahun was all over it in the offensive zone especially in the second half of the game. The entire line was creating tons of chances every shift seemingly.
He's just racist against Germans not named Drai :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad