Post-Game Talk: Same Ol' Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I'm not. Dude always faces the music after a bad game. He knows when he plays bad and doesn't really make excuses for it.
The issue with him is I think it's 100% his back still.
I was just being an a**. I like him. Too bad the 2017 Larson is nowhere to be found. We want all of these guys to succeed...For our own mental health lol

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I'm not. Dude always faces the music after a bad game. He knows when he plays bad and doesn't really make excuses for it.
The issue with him is I think it's 100% his back still.

Don’t think you can blame his back for the misread on the 1st goal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I was just being an a**. I like him. Too bad the 2017 Larson is nowhere to be found. We want all of these guys to succeed...For our own mental health lol
On the back end this team is relying on Barrie and Koek to be a solid middle pairing so Larsson can be pushed down to the third pairing or out of the lineup. We will go as far as that middle pairing can take us.

Nurse/Bear will be on for a lot of goals for and against and pretty much all the good they will do will equal the bad. The games will be won when the other pairings are on the ice and Larsson and Jones give me no hope for that so Koek and Barrie need to step up.

Forward wise we just need the 4th like to not get scored on and the third line to try and be decent at possession.

None of that happened tonight but it's what needs to for us to win this season

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
On the back end this team is relying on Barrie and Koek to be a solid middle pairing so Larsson can be pushed down to the third pairing or out of the lineup. We will go as far as that middle pairing can take us.

Nurse/Bear will be on for a lot of goals for and against and pretty much all the good they will do will equal the bad. The games will be won when the other pairings are on the ice and Larsson and Jones give me no hope for that so Koek and Barrie need to step up.

Forward wise we just need the 4th like to not get scored on and the third line to try and be decent at possession.

None of that happened tonight but it's what needs to for us to win this season
Agreed. I seen a guy on twitter say McDrai are +25 and +6 at Evens since we made the playoffs

When they are off of the ice. -74

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Don’t think you can blame his back for the misread on the 1st goal.
You can blame his mental on his back.
Just like Klefbom with his shoulder. Constant pain and lack of physical ability can be mentally draining, so you start to overthink and try to compensate by doing something that's dumb but you thought would be helpful. Constant ongoing pain sucks man.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
It’s nice that they can bounce back tomorrow but I’m expecting to be disappointed with Tippett not utilizing the Taxi Squad.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Next game tomorrow. Hopefully they can put this behind them and win tomorrow. Getting spanked on a back to back to start the season would be devastating for the team mentally and this team isn't mentally tough to begin with

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
It’s nice that they can bounce back tomorrow but I’m expecting to be disappointed with Tippett not utilizing the Taxi Squad.
I hope he utilizes it. I can see him saying "Ok boys, you got your first game out of the way and a second chance here" as well.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Kassian only works with McDrai, he doesn’t work with McNuge. They need a new RW on that line.
Kassian only works when he gets pumped and full of emotion which without a crowd...and not playing Calgary every night, he is mostly neutered.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Well that was disappointing effort. Only positive that you can take is Kahun. He really showed that he sure can play in top6. What a gift from Buffalo.

Only one line had positive results to show for. That is of course Draisaitl's line. 63% expected goals% and looked like that too.

After that it was a mess mostly. McDavid's line got out shot, outchanced and outscored. That would be biggest issue for me, you need to be able to build a line around McDavid that can actually tilt the ice. Yea he will score a lot of goals, but as last two years have shown his line gets scored on a lot too. If Oilers had two lines that can consistently have positive expected and actual goal rates this team is a lot closer to becoming a contender. But that isn't an easy fix. Starts with Connor and may end up needing Holland to make a trade.

3rd line in just under 8 minutes 30% expected goals%.

4th line in little over 6 minutes had expected goal % of 0. Yes, zero. They registered one shot attempt, 7 against. 0 shots on goal, 4 against.

That is an easier fix. And it starts with Khaira not being an NHL player. He is an offensive black hole, scoring less than one point per 60 minutes last year while generating just 1.69 expected goals-for per 60. Among the 417 forwards who played more than 250 minutes, he ranked 392nd and 403rd, respectively. That led to an awful 41 percent expected-goals rate and an even uglier 30 percent actual-goals rate. When Khaira is on the ice, the Oilers have been badly outscored every season, which means the top six has had to work harder to make up for it. Gaetan Haas isn’t anything special, but he would be a substantial improvement after posting a 51 percent expected-goals rate last season with strong defensive impacts. Khaira had some stunning penalty kill numbers — the best on the team — but I’m not sure that’s worth the hefty even-strength tradeoff.

And I would have Ennis in 3rd line with Turris and Puljujärvi.

Defending was sloppy. Fifth goal is probably the only one I put blame on mostly Koskinen. He wasn't the issue, but he wasn't stellar either.

Reactions: harpoon

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Incredibly poor own zone play. They have got significant work to do there. Forwards have to support better and way more assertively. D-men can't be wandering and chasing all over the ice. And while Koskinen faced a pretty good sniping team on this night he's got to be better. I'd sit Jones and pair Russell - Larssen. More veteran d-line-up for an important game 2 'must win.' (Yes, I know ... game 2 ... must win). Barrie was okay but clear the PP coordination is off with a right handed and shooter manning the point.

I did think Nurse had a pretty solid game. Bear was okay but seems to be catching up to speed. 4K looks like he'll be a solid depth defender. Forward lines I thought the third line was invisible with a very passive game by Turris. Puljujarvi was inconsistent and energy guy Archibald ... had no energy. Saw very little chemistry for that line. Draisaitl was excellent but still snuck in a bad fly the zone early on a goal. A quibble on an assertive game. Yamamoto shows the heart and grit to go into hard areas which is massively needed in more of his bigger teammates. .Kahun looked decent in his debut.
First line showed little chemistry. McDavid was flying all night and had many dangerous chances. Felt he slipped a bit into win it all himself mode which can be challenging for line mates to read and react too. But Nugent Hopkins and Kassian gave him very little support to drive the offence. Fourth line was also mediocre highlighted by a lazy back check by a guy who just passed through league waivers. Khaira, if he does nothing else, should show urgency and drive on the back check to prevent goals because he ain't gonna be scoring them.

There was too much hype coming out of a non contact scrimmage training camp. With little preparation for both teams, conversely, the Canucks played a smart, disciplined and structured game. Their top players showed excellent sniping and finishing skills. And Holby was good enough to win helped by a poor executing Oilers team.

More players in work boots, less fancy Dan stuff, and real urgency in preventing goals with smart, simple and structured own zone play. This ain't a coaching issue, it is a systemic execution problem that reflects either low intelligence thinkers prone to breaking down with bad decisions; lazy or indifferent players who can't rev the motor high enough to grind out effort in own zone play; or combination of both. We've seen this movie before over a Disney Parade of Coaches.

YES it is game 1. But all the top of short schedule, all games have meaning, a warm remembrance of Joey Moss including all with his name of the back of their jerseys, along with Dynasty Team Coach Muckler, this Oiler team chased the game and a faster, more structured and disciplined Canucks team all night (without a top line player). Will be very interesting to see their response tomorrow (tonight?)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Hopefully next season they finally get back to playing Calgary in the opener. Can't stand these f***ing Canucks openers (even last year when they won).

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Hopefully next season they finally get back to playing Calgary in the opener. Can't stand these f***ing Canucks openers (even last year when they won).
We won that game last year, but I thought it was boring AF as well as today's. I find most games against them boring lol. Win or lose.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
You can blame his mental on his back.
Just like Klefbom with his shoulder. Constant pain and lack of physical ability can be mentally draining, so you start to overthink and try to compensate by doing something that's dumb but you thought would be helpful. Constant ongoing pain sucks man.

For sure it is. But if the pain is that bad that he makes horrible reads like that because of it, then the coach shouldn't have him in the game. He's been trending down for a while now. Great team guy, but he's not helping us win, and tough calls need to be made.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Its first game of the season. That doesn't define the whole season already lol. So many negative people. Lots of teams today played bad, its going to happen for first few games, this is what happens when you only play very limited games in the past year.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just watched the game. Seeing how it's the trend to skip writing paragraphs and just write dot-point thoughts instead, that's what I'll do.
- We lost for the same reasons we lost against Chicago in the play-ins. Can't manufacture the intensity required and can't defend
- I feel like this deserves a second dot-point. Despite spending the entire off-season *talking* about being better defensively, it appears there has been no progression.
- Koskinen wasn't even that bad
- The Jones-Larsson pairing is a liability at this point. It's game one and they look like a pairing on game 75 of the season when a team is decimated by injuries and had to call-up extra d-men from the farm team. I tried to warn people over the past few months, but there's still posters that think Larsson is a top-4 defenceman
- Very cool to see the chemistry between Kahun and Draisaitl. I hope that Kahun is a good enough hockey player to be successful on Draisaitl's line.
- Yamamoto looked great too
- Barrie already looks like our #1 defenceman and his pairing with Koekkeok looked like our top.pairing despite all the depth charts having them starting the game as our 3rd pairing. Hopefully we can find a better defence partner for Barrie to handle all.the minutes.
- PP looked out of sync. I don't think Barrie had anything to do with it as he was moving the puck really well. Hopefully it's just rust. Games like this just highlight how reliant we are for the PP to be successful in order to get the W.
- it's only one game, but Puljujarvi doesn't really look much different to me than he did last time he was on the team. I'm still going to give him a fair amount of games for him to show me that he's improved.
- That whole Archibald-Turris-Puljujarvi lined liked terrible. I guess that's what happens when you put 3 random bottom-6 players together for the first time.
- McDavid had a very quiet night which is very surprising. I've been getting nervous about the amount of hype he's been getting in the lead up to this game to the point of unrealistic expectations.
- I'm just going to come out and say it. The jerseys are horrible. The reverse retros are horrible, and the orange jerseys are bad as well. New doesn't automatically mean good. Just go back to the classics.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I knew a good night of sleep would be more compelling than staying up for the game. The highlight vid was enough, some D-plays kinda reminded me about the Eakins swarm tactics. :skeptic:
Hope they'll bounce back tonight..

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This team cheats for offence way too much. What’s worse is every line does it. At least 4 of those Vancouver Goals tonight were the direct result of Oilers players looking to make a quick play up ice that wasn’t there and turning the puck over. Same crap that plagued them in the bubble. They don’t learn from their mistakes. We’ve got a lot of stupid players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad