Post-Game Talk: Same Ol' Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
New GDT!

Absolutely shocked McDavid didn't do anything on his birthday. Thought for sure he'd bank at least one.

Likely be the only game all year he goes pointless.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
how did Puljujarvi play?

He showed some good flashes. He still looks kinda awkward out there. I guess the good news is that he looked more like the player in his second year then in his third year. Its hard to really know though, Turris was really rusty and the line didnt have much going but JP was easily the most noticeable player on that line.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm tired of people blaming the players.

This team was not prepared to compete at all. No one knew their assignments, the systems, or where to be on the ice.

Everything I saw wrong with this game points back to one individual at fault.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
They just need to fix the stupid mental mistakes. If McDavid buries one of his chances and they eliminate the mistakes on goals 1,2 and 4, it’s a different discussion this morning.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
He showed some good flashes. He still looks kinda awkward out there. I guess the good news is that he looked more like the player in his second year then in his third year. Its hard to really know though, Turris was really rusty and the line didnt have much going but JP was easily the most noticeable player on that line.
I thought he looked miles ahead of the player he was 2 years ago. Made good decisions with the puck, was hard on Hughes on the forecheck a few times. Set up Turris for a grade A chance in the third.

The whole team looked off ish, but Pulju was among the few on that FWD group who actually attempted to do something.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Kahun-Drai duo pretty much started where they left off since juniors. Now that's what you called synergy. If we can find another player like that for McDavid. Doesn't even have to be a good player on his own, we are in business.

Reactions: Lezg00 and Oilhawks

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
I thought he looked miles ahead of the player he was 2 years ago. Made good decisions with the puck, was hard on Hughes on the forecheck a few times. Set up Turris for a grade A chance in the third.

The whole team looked off ish, but Pulju was among the few on that FWD group who actually attempted to do something.

I liked Jessies game last night, was great on the forecheck, disrupted and striped a few pucks, had a grade A chance and setup up another... probably the best forward outside of the Drai line... McDavids line needs to be better if Oilers are gonna win, they got caved by Horvats line

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
it sucks we lost, but overall I was very positive about that game.

the mistakes seemed very "pre season". Just rust and in general it needs to tighten up. It even took a while for Drai and McDavid to get going, and to me these issues will reduce. There were also some bottom six issues, and it is easy to make quick changes there via the taxi squad.

The positives seemed for real. Barrie and Puljujarvi were getting better and better as the game went on. Koekoek and Kahun were good. Yamamoto and Koskinen continued good play.

I'd be curious about how they adjust next game. Hopefully there's enough time to do so haha

Reactions: Oilhawks

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Only positive I seen in that game was the second line. Everything else - trash. I don't buy the "McDavid was so close X amount of times." Best player in the world needs to do things. That being said, it's the first game and forward wise I think they just need a few games to get used to each other again. You could tell they were trying to force plays, especially in the PP, that would have worked in the thick of the season. Some rust to shake off.

The D you can tell that it's looking like an Achilles heal. I think what we see is what we get.

Koskinen was meh..looked calm and steady but needed a key stop or two that we never got.

Reset for tomorrow. Hate to say it this early but must win?

I mean if they don’t there is only 54 games left, so would put them in a tough spot?

I mean come one people, they played bad but it’s game 1. Mcdavid was snake bitten and they had some bad defensive breakdowns that normally get dealt with in the exhibition games.

I’m expecting a better team tonight. I hope at least because I can’t stand Canucks Twitter talking like their team is the best after last night. It’s game 1.

Reactions: Oilhawks

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
not expecting much tonight either.

hoping we win but idk, the whole team collectively looks lost

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Horvat neutralizes McDavid.
Anyone remember Steve Kasper?
I wouldn’t be surprised if Oilers go zero for Vancouver this season.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Anyone else think the ice was horrific as well? Thought I was watching a June game in Florida, though maybe that was the empty arena

I couldn’t tell if the boys were 4-games-in-300-days-rusty or if the ice was mud, but I definitely noticed a massive difference vs. The bubble. I was shocked.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah, Nurse was, by far, our best defender last night. Low bar and all I know, but still.
He failed to hold the puck in at the line twice early in the 1st, the plays didn’t lead to a turnover or chance against at all, but a few posters who usually dump all over Nurse jumped on the opportunity to dump on him for the the entire game for two plays that had zero effect on the outcome. Nurse and Slayer looked good last night. Most of the other Dmen were bad to awful.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If it was up to me, I'd be benching Khaira, Chiasson, and Larsson for tomorrow.

Roll with;

Nuge-Mcdavid-Kass
Kahun-Drai-Yams
Ennis-Turris-Pulju
Archi-Shore-Mcloed

Nurse-Bear
Koekkoek-Barrie
Jones - Russel /Bouch

I would keep Chaisson in, as he at least has shown to have the ability to bounce back. Taking Larsson out this early is also a bit of a reach. He needs to be put on a short leash though, especially considering that Bouchard is apparently looking good. So basically I would pull Khaira for tonight, and then have Larsson and Chiasson on a short leash for the next game. If Chiasson continues to look terrible, I would put Nygard in and then move Archibald over (as I think Archi can play both sides right?) Bouchard obviously replaces Larsson if Larsson doesn't player better.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Horvat neutralizes McDavid.
Anyone remember Steve Kasper?
I wouldn’t be surprised if Oilers go zero for Vancouver this season.
Nah. McDavid created a lot, drew two penalties on near goals, set up Chiasson for a few tap in me that he whiffed on, and could have easily had 2-3 points.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He’s been injured for like 3 years now.

Yeah, one of the many reasons why I can't see the Oilers re-signing him in the off-season. If Bouchard looks ready to take that next step, you likely replace Larsson with Bouchard and then take the $3.3 M in cap savings to find help elsewhere (go after Hamilton is my guess right now).

Reactions: nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad