Post-Game Talk: Same Ol' Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's a bit of a weird line too. They have to commit to being an aggressive forechecking line, but two of the players really are finesse players whereas Archibald is the only real banger on that line. I'm not sure it's going to work, I think ultimately Turris ends up playing up the lineup on the wing and Kassian moves down. Though Puljujarvi will probably get the first look on McDavid's wing if Kassian falters.

Pulju made a reasonable account of himself, have to say, and was our best bottomsix player last night.

Somebody made the comment that Kassian is struggling playing without fans in attendance. Given how much he plays to fans I wonder about that in retrospect. Probably it is impacting him. He's kind of the circus in town. Harder for his psyche to get up without a crowd. I mean I'm not giving him a pass, and he needs to get that under control. But it seems a factor for him, and we need him. Made a nice play on the Nurse goal.

The whole Oilers team had to jump too aggressively to try to pinch or force turnovers due to concern at how much the Nucks were having the puck. The Nucks were throwing around the puck really well, looked sharp, and were playing at faster tempo. They looked like a club well prepared to start. The Oilers looked to be trying to figure things out on the fly.

The good thing is that our better players will figure it out, get sharper. 56 games is enough of a track to take a bit of time getting traction.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
My thoughts on the main villains from last night. Warning contrarian slightly.

Larsson
I actually thought he looked good most of the game. Felt like when he was up against a puck carrier, he more often than not came away with the puck. His gaffs were major, huge, idiotic. But I think if he can shake his head, and play a more simple game positionally, he will be a great defender.
I could be wrong I don't study hockey, but that was my take away.

Kassian (actually not contrarian at all in retrospect)
The pass to Nurse was a killer play. Yeah, other than that I saw what everyone else saw... He just, can't carry the puck, not the best retriever of it either, and he doesn't quietly slide into shooting areas.. So what is he doing for that line?

I think McDavid's right side will be a revolving door over the next few weeks.

JP could actually, maybe, be a good fit? He does find shooting areas, he is at least as good a shooter as Kassian, and anyone notice how fast he looked? Maybe being the puck retriever and protector down low and then slip into shooting areas could be his bread and butter?

Reactions: RattsSSV and ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Larsson
I actually thought he looked good most of the game. Felt like when he was up against a puck carrier, he more often than not came away with the puck. His gaffs were major, huge, idiotic. But I think if he can shake his head, and play a more simple game positionally, he will be a great defender.

The pass to Nurse was a killer play. Yeah, other than that I saw what everyone else saw... He just, can't carry the puck, not the best retriever of it either, and he doesn't quietly slide into shooting areas.. So what is he doing for that line?

JP could actually, maybe, be a good fit? He does find shooting areas, he is at least as good a shooter as Kassian, and anyone notice how fast he looked? Maybe being the puck retriever and protector down low and then slip into shooting areas could be his bread and butter?

Completely agree. Up until the first Nucks goal, I was super happy because I thought Larsson was playing better than he has in a while. But his gaffes from that goal onwards were horrendous.

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Agreed.

So,
Nurse - Bear
Koekkoek - Larsson
Russell - Barrie
Jones

Just didn't see a lot to like from Jones last night. Have him and Russell cycle in and out of the lineup until one emerges as clearly superior.

Reactions: McDNicks17

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Larsson excels along the boards, but he is and probably always has been the absolute worst defenseman on the team at defending odd man rushes.

A stable guy like Koekkoek would probably be a better fit with him.
If jones continues to have a hard time I wouldn’t mind if they pull him out and put Koekkoek with Larsson and Russell in with Barrie.

Reactions: McDNicks17

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Draisaitl looked incredible last night, very confident with the puck. I think we'll see some goals tonight, because that line was buzzing once they got going.

I didn't really notice Turris at all, he just seemed sluggish. That third line was just nothing, hopefully they can get going. That was the least notable game from Archibald that I've seen in a while.

Take Archibald off that line and put Ennis on it. Turris did get robbed in the third period

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I have nothing against Kahun on that line, but it's more that we've lost Nuge by playing him with McDavid. I have no doubt Kahun would look good on McDavids line, but we need Nuge engaged and clicking, and that's why he needs to go back with Drai and Yams. After all, I think they were one of the best lines in the league last year when they were together. Nuge looked like he was comatose last night.

We didn't lose because the DRY line was split up. We lost because our defensive play SUCKED

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Because he whiffs on so many Grade A chances. It’s unreal.
Does he ‘whiff’ though? Maybe I just misunderstand that word, but to me a ‘whiff’ is missing the puck and failing to register a shot. Missing the net or having your shot saved are not what I would call ‘whiffs’.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Does he ‘whiff’ though? Maybe I just misunderstand that word, but to me a ‘whiff’ is missing the puck and failing to register a shot. Missing the net or having your shot saved are not what I would call ‘whiffs’.

All three happen to him on a regular basis.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
it starts with Khaira not being an NHL player. He is an offensive black hole, scoring less than one point per 60 minutes last year while generating just 1.69 expected goals-for per 60. Among the 417 forwards who played more than 250 minutes, he ranked 392nd and 403rd, respectively
Blimey. I’m not a great fan of /60 stats, but ranking Khaira as one of the worst players in the NHL seems like an instance when they may be accurate.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Larsson

Kassian was better than RNH last night.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I didn't make that observation. Even if true, it is inconsequential. RNH has proven to be a reliable top 6er season after season, who can plug into near all situations. Kassian is a middle sixer who disappears for multi-game stretches.
RNH is a top sixer who disappears for multi-game stretches.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Not covered much but the PP was a bit of a mess. Not really featuring Drai often on right side for the one timer. Best shot on the club and they weren't getting the puck to him there. Nuge as usual taking a few muff shots instead of passing. The execution on the PP was slow, rusty, I thought we made too many passes on our PP breakouts and even negating speed of entry. Just not sharp. This allowed Nucks to be covering everything even a man short.

Tbt I think the bigger issue with the PP is they lost their quick "create a scramble" play of Nuge to Klefbom for a shot.

While Barrie does bring a ton of new dimensions, I'm a little concerned that the Oil lost their "KISS" (keep it simple, stupid) player/play on the top unit, and they're going to start over passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad