Proposal: Sam Reinhart to van

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
They do exist. A player signed a contract.

once a team us out of the playoffs they can make trades with Seattle today.

To get all pedantic, one player does not a legal roster make. As such the team is not built, that which has not been built cannot be rebuilt.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Keep in mind Hughes Petey Gonna need raises soon. I think Van easily moves a 1st plus Loui plus more Salary because Vancouver gonna need capspace to sign their future still. I think Podz and top prospects are off the list... I think it's likely Van would move more picks if Buffalo was willing to take more salary.

If Vancouver isn't even going to include Podkolzin or Hoglander and the best available is Virtanen plus cap dumps, then the Sabres should look elsewhere.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
If Vancouver isn't even going to include Podkolzin or Hoglander and the best available is Virtanen plus cap dumps, then the Sabres should look elsewhere.
Would Virtanen even get claimed on waivers at this point? Questions about physical conditioning, sexual misconduct allegations, 5 points in 38 games this season, and 3.4 million dollars in salary (2.55 cap hit). Unless he's necessary salary coming back with a kings ransom I want nothing do with that.

Nov 1, 2011

Two rebuilding teams that need help everywhere shouldn't be discussing a guy who is 1 year away from being UFA.

Reinhart should be going to arbitration and then walking if he wants out of BUF.

VAN should not be adding anyone that close to UFA, they should be trading guys who are in the same contract situation as Reinhart.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Two rebuilding teams that need help everywhere shouldn't be discussing a guy who is 1 year away from being UFA.

Reinhart should be going to arbitration and then walking if he wants out of BUF.

VAN should not be adding anyone that close to UFA, they should be trading guys who are in the same contract situation as Reinhart.

I wouldn't consider Vancouver a rebuilding team. They have a lot of good young pieces. They were in the playoffs last year. They didnt't go anywhere this season because Pettersson was injured and Holtby sucks.

AyyLmao

May 12, 2021
Edmonton
Article came out about how he wants to play in Western Canada and leave Buffalo
No way he’d choose Vancouver though. He’s leaving one mess in Buffalo and going to their sister Franchise in the Canucks who is currently going through a decade long rebuild. He’d most likely go the Justin Schultz route and choose the Oilers, heck... we’ll probably get another 3 part thread if that was the case too. If not probably some franchise like the Kings who has a very bright future.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Reinhart wants out of Buffalo because he doesn't want to go through another rebuild and wants to compete in the playoffs. Similar to Buffalo, Vancouver's rebuild has failed and they are not close to a playoff team.
The rebuild has failed? The rebuild only started after the twins retired and was one game away from going to the conference finals last season and will be adding Podz and Rathbone next season.
This season was rough but the team has easily had the worst schedule in the league while losing Petey for half the season while dealing with the entire team getting covid. Not saying they are an elite team but they are far better than this season showed and boast one of the best young cores. Not sure how this season shows the rebuild failed but you do you champ.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

given our situation, there is no really a need to trade for him. Maybe a team that is close like Colorado or Las Vegas might be a better fit but the Canucks who needs young players should not be trading or giving up high picks for a player at Reinharts age. If we want, we can try to pick him up as a UFA at the end of 2022, which is just one year, and that is all. If the rumours are bogus than we don't sign him simple as that. We move on and try to go with our young players we currently have.

No proposal needed in this case from the Canucks.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sabres say yes to the first rounder but why do they take Louie? Nucks would need to add a good pick just to get a 5th for him.

Sabres will get more without taking a cap dump

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
All this bickering about value (which was absolutely not enough from OP) but very little mention of why Vancouver does this?

It's obvious now Reinhart plays best at C and should be a C. He's not supplanting Petey, and both him and Horvat are too rich for 3C. So unless we move Horvat in the deal (which would be completely lateral) why are we doing this?

Unless he comes out and demands a trade to specifically to Van this makes no sense, we aint getting him for pennies on the dollar.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
All this bickering about value (which was absolutely not enough from OP) but very little mention of why Vancouver does this?

It's obvious now Reinhart plays best at C and should be a C. He's not supplanting Petey, and both him and Horvat are too rich for 3C. So unless we move Horvat in the deal (which would be completely lateral) why are we doing this?

Unless he comes out and demands a trade to specifically to Van this makes no sense, we aint getting him for pennies on the dollar.

exactly that. or Jim Benning also blows cap room on him when he hits UFA. You know Jim Benning is short sighted not that Reinhart is a bad player and can play the wing, but still. Not a type of asset we should be trading for. Also the same time Reinhart becomes UFA is the same time Boeser hits RFA which means we will need to make room to sign him, so really Reinhart is really not someone we should be looking at unless we swap JT Miller for him. But they want a O Reiley like return, which we can't do. they might as well try to seek an offer from another team.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Virtanen, 1st, and perhaps a guy like Loui Eriksson on the last year of his deal to make the cap work. Keep in mind that Van's first will likely be a high pick and Virtanen still has some upside with a change of scenery.

We can not really talk about why Virtanen needs and change of scenery. Erickson is a negative value contract and I do not see any team giving up anything of real value in trading for him.

This deal has 8.5 mill in bad contracts going to the Sabres. The only way Sabres do the deal is if that pick is 1st overall

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bringing in Sam Reinhart would be as effective as the Buffalo Sabres bringing in Taylor Hall. Not a fan of bringing in a core player from a team that has a culture of losing. Sabres are like the pre-McDavid Oilers right now, management didn't do a good enough job to surround the young talent w/ quality vets, now they need to rebuild the rebuild b/c of it. Not paying a high price for Sammy.

A first and a dump of Lou would not be a high price in terms of value.

As for culture of losing or winning we saw where that got the Canucks with Jay Beagle.

It’s not an accurate reflection to simple Loki at teams that lose and label players as having a losing culture. ROR is a prime example here.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
A first and a dump of Lou would not be a high price in terms of value.

As for culture of losing or winning we saw where that got the Canucks with Jay Beagle.

It’s not an accurate reflection to simple Loki at teams that lose and label players as having a losing culture. ROR is a prime example here.

You're comparing a Sabres core player to a Canucks' 4th liner. Also, Elias Pettersson missed more than half the season; not many teams would make the playoffs without their top player, and also ineffectively replacing the UFA's they lost last summer. Look at the Canucks last year when they added JT Miller and Tyler Toffoli. Would rather the Canucks try to re-acquire Toffoli than try to trade for Sam Reinhart.

ROR tasted the playoffs w/ the Avs before joining the Sabres, I wouldn't have labeled him a perennial loser. Only players that have never made it to the Post-season.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
No way he’d choose Vancouver though. He’s leaving one mess in Buffalo and going to their sister Franchise in the Canucks who is currently going through a decade long rebuild. He’d most likely go the Justin Schultz route and choose the Oilers, heck... we’ll probably get another 3 part thread if that was the case too. If not probably some franchise like the Kings who has a very bright future.
Vancouver is one year removed from winning two playoff rounds, they have a solid core. They are not even close to Buffalo level

Reactions: gianni

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Vancouver is one year removed from winning two playoff rounds, they have a solid core. They are not even close to Buffalo level

Facts. The Canucks didn't make the playoffs this year b/c Elias Pettersson missed more than half the season, and the Canucks didn't adequately replace the likes of Chris Tanev, Tyler Toffoli, and Jacob Markstrom. The core is there, just need to find the necessary supplementary pieces.

AyyLmao

May 12, 2021
Edmonton
The Sabres play in a division full of killers so the Canucks being 8 points up on them while being in the bad Canadian division doesn’t mean too much to me. Their seasons are on par with each other right now and they’re both missing key players that contributed to that. As for the post season, the Sabres don’t have anything close to resembling a Demgod/Markstrom combo in net to mask the stink that they were masking all season. The talent is there with a healthy Eichel and Dahlin. When/if he leaves, that’s a different story.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Very few teams are on a level as low as Buffalo. As an Oiler fan I know what they're going through. I empathize.

However I don't think Vancouver is really "competing" yet. Anaheim is ripe for a true rebuild, ditto San Jose, and I think the LA Kings are really the only team out west poised to take a big step next year. The Oilers are competing now, true, but does Sam Reinhart want to come here? Edmonton is basically Buffalo but with Oil money and universal healthcare.

My money is on Sam Reinhart ending up in LA.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
The rebuild has failed? The rebuild only started after the twins retired and was one game away from going to the conference finals last season and will be adding Podz and Rathbone next season.
This season was rough but the team has easily had the worst schedule in the league while losing Petey for half the season while dealing with the entire team getting covid. Not saying they are an elite team but they are far better than this season showed and boast one of the best young cores. Not sure how this season shows the rebuild failed but you do you champ.
Not disagreeing with anything you said .You said Vancouver had the worst schedule in the league ,what happened that makes you think that? I simply don't know that's why iam asking.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Is Reinhart even the type of guy to target for Vancouver? They have a solid enough core (need a good winger for the 2nd line) but trash depth.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
The Sabres play in a division full of killers so the Canucks being 8 points up on them while being in the bad Canadian division doesn’t mean too much to me. Their seasons are on par with each other right now and they’re both missing key players that contributed to that. As for the post season, the Sabres don’t have anything close to resembling a Demgod/Markstrom combo in net to mask the stink that they were masking all season. The talent is there with a healthy Eichel and Dahlin. When/if he leaves, that’s a different story.

Canucks had the most games played at the start of the year, the whole team caught a harsher variant of Covid-19 during their bye week, and no Elias Pettersson for more than half the season. Other things like not adequately replacing last year's UFA's hurt as well. The Canucks & Sabres are not the same.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

given our situation, there is no really a need to trade for him. Maybe a team that is close like Colorado or Las Vegas might be a better fit but the Canucks who needs young players should not be trading or giving up high picks for a player at Reinharts age. If we want, we can try to pick him up as a UFA at the end of 2022, which is just one year, and that is all. If the rumours are bogus than we don't sign him simple as that. We move on and try to go with our young players we currently have.

No proposal needed in this case from the Canucks.

Don’t put any stock in this. Hamilton and Mike Harrington, both Buffalo reporters, have been in an embarrassing feud with Reinhart. They try to bait him with questions he won’t bite on and then trash him in the media. Hamilton goes out of his way to say he is not a leader and Harrington just referred to him as “utterly bratty Sam Reinhart” in an article. They both have a pathetic agenda. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be interested in Vancouver, I’m saying don’t trust anything out of Hamilton’s mouth.

Last edited:

AyyLmao

May 12, 2021
Edmonton
Canucks had the most games played at the start of the year, the whole team caught a harsher variant of Covid-19 during their bye week, and no Elias Pettersson for more than half the season. Other things like not adequately replacing last year's UFA's hurt as well. The Canucks & Sabres are not the same.
After watching the Canucks play many games this season they’re the same from the eye test and by comparing division quality. The Canucks get the Canadian division hood tax for being one of the worst teams in one of the worst divisions. The Sabres had to compete with a bunch of killers in their division, their best player has been gone for most of the season and their team went through covid delays as well... they also have a decent core with equally bad ownership and management. This will of course change if/when Eichel dips.

Last edited:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
You are right, they weren’t the same. Sabres played without Eichel, were shut down with the variant, played most of the season with AHL backup goalies, played under the worst coach in hockey and played in an actual competitive division.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Very few teams are on a level as low as Buffalo. As an Oiler fan I know what they're going through. I empathize.

However I don't think Vancouver is really "competing" yet. Anaheim is ripe for a true rebuild, ditto San Jose, and I think the LA Kings are really the only team out west poised to take a big step next year. The Oilers are competing now, true, but does Sam Reinhart want to come here? Edmonton is basically Buffalo but with Oil money and universal healthcare.

My money is on Sam Reinhart ending up in LA.

Oh absolutely they are not "competing", I just don't believe it's fair to say the are rebuilding. They have a lot of key positions covered. Inept management has just surrounded those players with high priced bottom 6ers/AHL tweeners

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad