Proposal: Sam Reinhart to van

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Oh absolutely they are not "competing", I just don't believe it's fair to say the are rebuilding. They have a lot of key positions covered. Inept management has just surrounded those players with high priced bottom 6ers/AHL tweeners

If they don't fix their many issues in the line up they're going to be at or near the bottom of the pacific division (or whatever they'll call it) next year. Just my opinion, but they need work. The only thing that can prop up their win percentage will be the lousy teams in Anaheim and San Jose.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Not disagreeing with anything you said .You said Vancouver had the worst schedule in the league ,what happened that makes you think that? I simply don't know that's why iam asking.
Vancouver had a very "front heavy" schedule. They played quite a few more games to start during the beginning and this was suppose to balance out around the midway point. They WOULD of had one of the easiest second halves if it was not for Covid.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If they don't fix their many issues in the line up they're going to be at or near the bottom of the pacific division (or whatever they'll call it) next year. Just my opinion, but they need work. The only thing that can prop up their win percentage will be the lousy teams in Anaheim and San Jose.
Benning (Hopefully not), or the new GM will have some work to do this off season. A lot will ride on who Seattle takes and if it frees up any cap space to help (Holtby). I would love Reinhart but I think that's a luxury that the cap won't allow. Finding a suitable defensive defenceman should be the main goal after signing Hughes/Pettersson

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Benning (Hopefully not), or the new GM will have some work to do this off season. A lot will ride on who Seattle takes and if it frees up any cap space to help (Holtby). I would love Reinhart but I think that's a luxury that the cap won't allow. Finding a suitable defensive defenceman should be the main goal after signing Hughes/Pettersson

That's hopeful alrighty.. my own amateur projections have Adin Hill, Jake Allen and Anton Khudobin getting picked up by the Kraken.

But I see your point.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

It is definitely 2 extremes - judging this team on its bubble success or its injury-ridden/covid season. So, probably somewhere in between.

The blueline is certainly a concern, but Petey, Boeser, Hughes, and Demko are a great core. I wouldn't say they are rebuilding rather this season was a setback.
Podz and a solid addition on the blueline and a 3C will go a long way. IMO, I would also change the coach, GM, and solidify their blueline.

Van will be stronger than the Ducks, Sharks, and the Flames.

Reactions: BCNate

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
It is definitely 2 extremes - judging this team on its bubble success or its injury-ridden/covid season. So, probably somewhere in between.

The blueline is certainly a concern, but Petey, Boeser, Hughes, and Demko are a great core. I wouldn't say they are rebuilding rather this season was a setback.
Podz and a solid addition on the blueline and a 3C will go a long way. IMO, I would also change the coach, GM, and solidify their blueline.

Thats not even counting hoglander and our high draft pic this year. People can poop on us all they want but a lot of us van fans see whats happening in the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: BCNate

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I wasn't ignoring a COVID-ravaged line up for much of this year. I was thinking more along the lines of losing Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev whom they did not seem to replace.

I think the Flames will be better next year.

dayner

May 23, 2017
Why not just wait one more year and sign him as a FA. no lost assets and a top 9 like this:
Miller-Petey-Brock
Hoglander - Horvat -Reinhart
Pearson - Your Mother - Podkolzin

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I would assume that players that want out of Buffalo don't want any part of coming to Vancouver for similar reasons.

Reinhart wants out of Buffalo because he doesn't want to go through another rebuild and wants to compete in the playoffs. Similar to Buffalo, Vancouver's rebuild has failed and they are not close to a playoff team.

For all the shit Benning rightly gets for cap mismanagement, Vancouver has a seriously good young core. And it's absolutely a world class city nobody could be bored in. I'd waive for Vancouver any day.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Van needs to add more, especially if they are taking LE. I am not much of a Reinhart guy, and a top 10 pick is nice, but VAN has to add more. A guy like Virtanen, especially with his off ice issues, has little value. Juolevi and Rathbone...yikes.

I'd say a 1st, LE and Podkolzin. If VAN is feeling confident, then say a 2022 1st. Maybe BUF sends back a 3rd.

Doesn't VAN need good Dmen rather than forwards? Is acquiring Reinhart where they want to be putting their trade assets?

this cannot be serious, a top 7 pick, a second first and a top 10 pick for a guy that has never meet expectations IMO. LE has almost nothing in salary next year and you have a tarnished asset.

Reactions: gianni

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I wasn't ignoring a COVID-ravaged line up for much of this year. I was thinking more along the lines of losing Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev whom they did not seem to replace.

I think the Flames will be better next year.

I understand letting Markstrom walk with Demko as the replacement. I also get not resigning Tanev.

It is Toffoli that hurt them - OEL sweepstakes and circus really got Benning head spun around. Prioritized Virtanen. I like the Schmidt move, but also needed another piece on the blueline.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
In Vancouver? LOL

Well, in this scenario, we'd have Reinhart, Boeser, Pettersson, Miller, Horvat, Pearson, Hoglander and Podkolzin. The proven talent trails off a little bit, but two of the three have scored in a top six capacity for us, and the last is still a top-10 prospect, so I'd have hope.

One more player stepping up, like Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood, Vesey, MacEwen, Graovac (somehow having a scoring streak here), Bailey or Virtanen, or a UFA signing/trade, and, while lacking the generational talent of some teams, would still be among the top forward corps in the league.

But you're right, Green would probably roll out Reinhart, Pettersson and Boeser as a shutdown line, or something.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
If Vancouver really wanted to acquire Reinhart, the smart move would be trading Miller this summer/next year for a good haul and signing Reinhart in UFA. There is no room salary wise (even after the atrocious ~20 million of deadweight cap [Beagle/Roussel/Eriksson/Luongo/Virtanen] expire in 2022) to fit four of Miller, Reinhart, Horvat and Boeser on the team; Miller is the most tradable and oldest of the bunch. Arguably the most valuable too.

But that would require forward thinking and foresight so it will never happen.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
If Vancouver really wanted to acquire Reinhart, the smart move would be trading Miller this summer/next year for a good haul and signing Reinhart in UFA. There is no room salary wise (even after the atrocious ~20 million of deadweight cap [Beagle/Roussel/Eriksson/Luongo/Virtanen] expire in 2022) to fit four of Miller, Reinhart, Horvat and Boeser on the team; Miller is the most tradable and oldest of the bunch. Arguably the most valuable too.

But that would require forward thinking and foresight so it will never happen.
I'd be a billionaire if I had a dollar for every time someone on HF boards said: "Player A will be a free agent next year we'll just sign them for free" only to watch that player get re-signed and come nowhere near free agency. As someone who's watched Reinhart year in and year out this would be a guy I'd want my team pursuing heavily if he were made available. Especially if I thought my team had a leg up on keeping him long-term.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->