Player Discussion Sam Reinhart, Part II: The Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Reinhart had issues staying on his feet, every time you look to see where Reinhart is just look for the guy laying on the ice. With the league getting faster Reinhart is no longer average imo.

Reactions: Icicle

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Sabres fans for the past 3 years: "Reinhart can't do *thing*"

Reinhart: starts doing *thing*

Sabres fans: "no he doesn't"

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sabres fans for the past 3 years: "Reinhart can't do *thing*"

Reinhart: starts doing *thing*

Sabres fans: "no he doesn't"

It’s true Reinhart gets unnecessary criticism, but he also gets zealot-like love from a few folks based on the same small sample sizes in which others get criticized (Eichel).

It’s the HFBoards bias game.

Reactions: joshjull

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Still stuck in 2014 I see.

This was absolutely an issue early last season
11 - CBJ
Heinze was like a human zamboni - he fell a lot. Reinhart is having a hard time keeping his feet tonight.
BUF at LAK
Reinhart can't stay on his feet tonight.
Roster Speculation '17-'18: Someone, Somewhere, In Summertime
It’s funny how often he goes down after getting hit watching his pass, often like a toddler.

Yet in front of the net and down low on the boards he wins plenty of battles and maintains puck control fairly well.

Selective balance? Weird for sure.​

His balance and strength on his skates seemed to improve significantly as the season wore on (at least I don't remember him constantly falling on his ass repeatedly later on)

Perhaps he's one of the players that Botts was referring to that needs a better offseason training approach. :dunno:

Reactions: Kyndig

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
11 - CBJ

BUF at LAK

His balance and strength on his skates seemed to improve significantly as the season wore on (at least I don't remember him constantly falling on his ass repeatedly later on)

Perhaps he's one of the players that Botts was referring to that needs a better offseason training approach. :dunno:

Younger hockey players are often really bottom heavy. Mittelstadt couldn’t even do a pull up as your extreme case. If he doesn’t bend his knees enough as he skates/coasts, he can’t be pushed around really easy then.

As he rounds out his upper body, that weight up high can help keep him balanced when shoved. He’s still young after all.

His stance isn’t really going to change by this point, but his weight distribution could easily.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
11 - CBJ

BUF at LAK

Taking hits and maintaining his balance was definitely an issue from his first nhl game. But like my quote said, it’s odd because after his 9 game cup of coffee, where to my eye he clearly knew what to do but had a child body, he has generally been fine handling himself in front of the net and in the corners. No he is not a bull like Eichel or Kane, or quite so balanced as Larsson or O’Reilly, but his “strength” problems were nothing unusual for a 19-21 year old in the league.

What everyone notices and what was bizarre, was the absolute tumbles and surprise hits he would take after watching a pass or shot. It was like watching an average high school player enter a junior game for the first time. I still don’t get it, he is clearly a smart, aware player. I have seen him absorb hits when he has the puck or in front of the net. But let him be a few feet away from the boards and send a pass away and he goes down like a French futballer.

I thought this year he improved on this throughout the year, particularly as he got more confident carrying the puck. He finally got himself moving quicker with the play after he dished.

The whole scenario is odd to me considering his player type, history of being a star “target” in a tough league in the dub and just the basic mantra of every hockey coach ever not to watch your own pass.

Any who, his overall skating has always been a weird preoccupation of many, but strength on his skates is no longer a major weakness.

Pay him long term before you are sorry you didn’t.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
5 mil @ 8 years. Don't even give him any Ntc provision when he is eligible. Give him his typical front loaded deal. Worst comes to worst we have a 43-50 point 2nd line winger making $5 mil for almost a decade. We pay Bogo,Moulson,Okposo and Poms $5 mil+ why not a 23 year old 45-50 point second line winger.

I'm sorry but any more then 5 mil and I trade him, he isn't a good skater period, argue all you want. He can't skate well. He is average at best or mediocre skating wise. He doesn't PK. Doesn't take face offs. Doesn't initiate contact. He really has done nothing to earn $5 mil that only buys 4 UFA years.

Reactions: normaliswear

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
5 mil @ 8 years. Don't even give him any Ntc provision when he is eligible. Give him his typical front loaded deal. Worst comes to worst we have a 43-50 point 2nd line winger making $5 mil for almost a decade. We pay Bogo,Moulson,Okposo and Poms $5 mil+ why not a 23 year old 45-50 point second line winger.

I'm sorry but any more then 5 mil and I trade him, he isn't a good skater period, argue all you want. He can't skate well. He is average at best or mediocre skating wise. He doesn't PK. Doesn't take face offs. Doesn't initiate contact. He really has done nothing to earn $5 mil that only buys 4 UFA years.

“Give him an 8 year deal, here’s all the reasons why I still think he’s not good”

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Ok now list some things that actually matter.

Reactions: ZZamboni

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
11 - CBJ

BUF at LAK

I don't think it really got better. Posters just stopped caring as much once he started producing in the 2nd half. Plus I also think many started to realize a big reason he was getting knocked down so much was his willingness to go the dirty areas. Which is something to be admired not ridiculed.

Obviously you would prefer that he would be strong enough to not get bounced around. But I'll take guys willing to pay the price like that all day long.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

Congratulations to that guy figuring out what we knew last year! He's officially slower than Housley even. Also as I've pointed out and others as soon as Reinhart was put with ROR they were receiving more OZ draws boosting their corsi, probably in part due to Eichel being injured as well...but even still ROR and Reinhart shouldn't be split up again.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Congratulations to that guy figuring out what we knew last year! He's officially slower than Housley even. Also as I've pointed out and others as soon as Reinhart was put with ROR they were receiving more OZ draws boosting their corsi, probably in part due to Eichel being injured as well...but even still ROR and Reinhart shouldn't be split up again.
Their zone starts didn't significantly changed, outside of one 10-game stretch for Reinhart.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Personally, would like to see Sam and Jack reunited, and then Mittelstadt with ROR and then Buffalo goes out and looks into guys like Perrault or Riley Nash for their #3 center spot. Let Casey develop the confidence on the wing with a good center.

My Frame of the top 9 of the team:

XXX-Eichel-Reinhart
Mittelstadt-ROR-XXX
E-Rod-Perrault/Nash-Girgensons

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
So, ROR falling out of love with hockey was due to his being denied more Samson in his life.

Interesting.

He's the third wheel in the Bromance between Jack and Sam. He's lost his love for many things in life. Even a juicy steak holds no appeal to the man. Since his brother left, who will steer the tandem bike he pedals the best he can?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Flawed analysis so he can get to his own preconceived conclusion...

Sam had 6 PP points in the first 41 games and 15 PP points in his last 41. His spike in PP production had nothing to do with his even strength linemates, yet it's not even mentioned.

He was even paired with ROR and Eichel multiple times in the first half of the season and his individual scoring still stagnated.

His second half was just as attributable to increased comfort with the system/coaching staff and the power plays resurgence.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Flawed analysis so he can get to his own preconceived conclusion...

Sam had 6 PP points in the first 41 games and 15 PP points in his last 41. His spike in PP production had nothing to do with his even strength linemates, yet it's not even mentioned.

He was even paired with ROR and Eichel multiple times in the first half of the season and his individual scoring still stagnated.

His second half was just as attributable to increased comfort with the system/coaching staff and the power plays resurgence.

Nice excuses. Do you ever wonder why people call him a passenger player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad