Player Discussion Sam Reinhart, Part II: The Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
When should we get concerned that he looks more and more like Ryan Hopkins out of edmonton. For me I was hoping for more. But I am dissapointed at the development of all the Reinhart brothers. They all came in with hype of being better than the Sutters but they look well below them

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Hey, if you want to expect something he'll never be, and in turn never like what he is developing into, go right ahead. You'll never be satisfied I guess. That's unfortunate.

I like the pace he's developing at. I never expected him to be some top 10 center in the league. I don't need him to be a dynamic energy filled dynamo to be an effective playmaker that simply makes his line better and in turn makes the team better.

Some will never ever be satisfied with Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, Nylander, O'Reilly, etc etc etc etc

:deadhorse:

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
When should we get concerned that he looks more and more like Ryan Hopkins out of edmonton. For me I was hoping for more. But I am dissapointed at the development of all the Reinhart brothers. They all came in with hype of being better than the Sutters but they look well below them

He came in as a potential 1OA pick who wasn't an elite skater and had a pretty terrible shot, but his intelligence and work ethic was so good it didn't matter. He's impressed me a ton with how improved he looked after only 1 year. I was there at that first prospect scrimmage when Girgensons ran him over, he wasn't anything special, definitely didn't see where the hype had come from, but he has made huge improvements to areas he was behind while keeping the mental edge, an area much harder if not impossible to improve drastically. He knows where to go to score the dirty goals and is the best net front presence we've had since Vanek without the injury or hustle problems.

He's never going to be one of the leagues top goal scorers, but his real value will come out in the playoffs in my opinion. He has the ability to make the right decisions quickly, and at a time of year where time and space are at a premium he could really shine. The problem will be getting back to the playoffs in the first place with the string of bad injury luck we've had this season, but that can't continue forever, right.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I totally expect him to be a top 10 center in the league one day. That being said, RNH is a hell of a hockey player.

What I expect and what I hope are two different things for me. That's why it will take a lot before I throw my hands up and give up on Sam.

So, by your own words, it seems if he never develops into a top 10-12 center in the NHL, you'll be quite disappointed in his career overall. That's high expectations. That's unfortunate.

I'll still consider him a sucessfully developed player even if he's a top 30ish center. :dunno:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
What I expect and what I hope are two different things for me. That's why it will take a lot before I throw my hands up and give up on Sam.

So, by your own words, it seems if he never develops into a top 10-12 center in the NHL, you'll be quite disappointed in his career overall. That's high expectations. That's unfortunate.

I'll still consider him a sucessfully developed player even if he's a top 30ish center. :dunno:

I get what you're saying, and I agree with the mindset. What I mean is I would be surprised if he isn't that good one day. I'm not going to be disappointed if he's a top 20-25 center in the league. I would be genuinely shocked if he's anything worse than that.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
His skating needs to get better. It's the same problem as last year - he has to give up the puck very quickly whenever he gets it.

That's his biggest obstacle in becoming a top 10 center in the league. At this point, his skating is limiting the impact he has on the game.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The last 10 2nd overall picks in the NHL Draft - it's still early for Sam but yeah there are concerns, the game keeps getting faster and quicker. Nylander taken 8th the same draft has 7 points in 5 games - not that any team at the 2nd spot would have taken him there, I think it was unanimous that Reinhart, Bennett and Draisaitl were going 2nd, 3rd and 4th in no particular order - Vancouver tried to trade with Florida in order to take Reinhart first.

Sam Bennett is off to a poor start too.

Patrik Laine
Jack Eichel
Sam Reinhart
Aleksander Barkov
Ryan Murray
Gabriel Landeskog
Tyler Seguin
Victor Hedman
Drew Doughty
James Van Riemsdyk

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I'm shocked at the negativity in this thread, totally undeserved.

20+ goals as a rookie, and upgraded any line he was on. This year two of our other top six players go out within twenty minutes of the first game....blame the second year pro.

Yuck guys

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I'm shocked at the negativity in this thread, totally undeserved.

20+ goals as a rookie, and upgraded any line he was on. This year two of our other top six players go out within twenty minutes of the first game....blame the second year pro.

Yuck guys

I think people had him pegged as a franchise type player, and maybe people are realizing that he doesn't have that type of ceiling - that maybe his skill set means that he's going to be a secondary player. His skating is absolutely a liability, and we've now seen his brothers become bust because they physically could not improve on athleticism enough to be NHL players. It's hard not to correlate that to Sam. How much more can he grow? He's a super polished player, but how far can his athleticism take him? I hate to say it, but it was the exact reason I argued for drafting Draisaitl. Again, hopefully he proves me wrong.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Reinhart is the last of our concerns.

When your tank season, 2nd overall pick is being passed by other players from that draft, despite having brought in the GM specifically because of his drafting acumen, I'd say he should be our top concern. He was what the tank was about. Is he good enough?

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
When your tank season, 2nd overall pick is being passed by other players from that draft, despite having brought in the GM specifically because of his drafting acumen, I'd say he should be our top concern. He was what the tank was about. Is he good enough?

You're seeing things I'm not seeing then. He had a great season for a rookie last year. I'd say only 4 rookies played better than him (Panarin, Ghost, McDavid, Eichel).

Some of the comments on this board the last week or so have been utterly mind-boggling.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't think anyone is wondering if Reinhart is going to be a good player, I think the question is will he be as good as the other top forwards in this draft. Time will tell, but he is going to need to pick up the pace of his game this year.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

This is out to lunch. Even using raw numbers S. Reinhart's play is better as a teenager than any of the Sutters except Brent. Maybe you're under the impression that scoring has become easier since the 80s?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
One could easily make a case for a forward other than Reinhart from the 2014 draft looking better than him. But there's still a large crop from that year who appear to have 'elite' or 'franchise' potential. And he's in that conversation.

They can't even drink yet.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
One could easily make a case for a forward other than Reinhart from the 2014 draft looking better than him. But there's still a large crop from that year who appear to have 'elite' or 'franchise' potential. And he's in that conversation.

They can't even drink yet.

William Nylander and Leon Draisaitl are the two that really stand out for me as having franchise potential.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think people had him pegged as a franchise type player, and maybe people are realizing that he doesn't have that type of ceiling - that maybe his skill set means that he's going to be a secondary player. His skating is absolutely a liability, and we've now seen his brothers become bust because they physically could not improve on athleticism enough to be NHL players. It's hard not to correlate that to Sam. How much more can he grow? He's a super polished player, but how far can his athleticism take him? I hate to say it, but it was the exact reason I argued for drafting Draisaitl. Again, hopefully he proves me wrong.

:shakehead

"Super polished?" He can't even drink legally in the US. Bergeron is polished. Reinhart is coming off a 20 goal rookie season. And he did it at RW and playing in front of the net, things he didn't do in juniors. Super polished my butt.

His skating was fine among his peers at WJC, and he's a stronger skater now. His dad was a good NHLer. And his brothers weren't drafted anywhere close to where Sam was drafted.

Should we also be concerned about ROR because of Cal's shortcomings?

You're reaching well prior to even seeing what the kid can do. You'd rather be right than Reinhart succeed.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
:shakehead

"Super polished?" He can't even drink legally in the US. Bergeron is polished. Reinhart is coming off a 20 goal rookie season. And he did it at RW and playing in front of the net, things he didn't do in juniors. Super polished my butt.

His skating was fine among his peers at WJC, and he's a stronger skater now. His dad was a good NHLer. And his brothers weren't drafted anywhere close to where Sam was drafted.

Should we also be concerned about ROR because of Cal's shortcomings?

You're reaching well prior to even seeing what the kid can do. You'd rather be right than Reinhart succeed.

Griffin was drafted 4th overall. And I'm sorry, you clearly don't know what a strong skater is if you think he is a strong skater. Also, he was very good in front of the net in juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->