Injury Report: Sam Morin update, Nov. 24, 2020 (Torn ACL, right knee surgery Nov. 22, 2019)

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Y'all would have turned on Morin after a few weeks when he got stripped a few times for turnovers leading to goals.
Then the mantra would be why are we playing this stiff over Hagg.
The player who isn't in the lineup is always the great hope. Until they play.

Meanwhile Friedman is the good soldier who has steadily improved in the AHL, has speed and plays a responsible game at RHD.
A fast undersized defensive oriented D-man won't attract the hype of a 6'7 230 lb D-man.

No we wouldn't have. How is Morin getting stripped a few times going to turn us as compared to whatever the hell Grossmann, Schultz, Schenn, MacDonald, Manning et al. have been doing for the past six years?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Because that's the way certain people roll here.
Once it was obvious that Morin had no offensive skills, he'd been labelled a dog.

Reactions: Pantokrator

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Fact of the matter is Morin is injury prone. Playing in the NHL against bigger faster stronger players isn’t going to make him less injury prone. He had multiple injuries in junior, as well.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Wrap: Flyers Claim 3-2 OT win over Habs; Morin Re-Tears Right ACL

While the Flyers were in their post-game locker room, general manager Chuck Fletcher released a statement to the media with some awful news: defenseman Samuel Morin, in a conditioning assignment game for the Lehigh Valley Phantoms against the Wilkes Barre/Scranton Penguins on Thursday night, suffered a torn right ACL.

It is the same knee that Morin seriously injured 18 months ago when he tore his ACL in a Calder Cup playoff game in Charlotte. Morin, who missed most of the 2017-18 season with a recurring core muscle issue and then all but the tail end of last season due to ACL rehab, will now miss the remainder of the 2019-20 season and face another nearly year-long rehab process.

Teammates and head coach Alain Vigneault already knew about the injury earlier in the day.

"You never want to see one of your good buddies get hurt. After what he’s been through, I’m here for him. You never want to see anybody get hurt. It really sucks," Phil Myers said.

Added head coach Alain Vigneault, "I saw Sam before the game I mean there’s no doubt that we all feel for him. There’s a kid that spent the whole summer here trying to get himself back to playing. He accepted going to the minors to play some game and I guess on a nothing play, he heard his knee pop. Very unfortunate. Hopefully, he’ll want to put himself through [the rehab work] again and give himself another chance to play."

From an immediate standpoint, Morin's salary will count against the Flyers' cap for the remainder of this season although he can be placed on LTIR if the space is needed under the ceiling.
Source: Bill Meltzer, Hockey Buzz

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
****, the news like a kick in the guts! I really hope this injury didn't cross off his NHL career. There were instances when a player's career seemed to be over due to injuries, but then he had a very long caeer e.g. Grant Hill. So, it doesn't matter how bad the situation looks like, it's not over until it's officially over.

occultist goat

Mar 16, 2019
you can blame ole ronnie for his stubborness and mismanagement and hakstol for his incompantance....bottom line is hagg should have never made this roster over morin that day period. what a waste of a potentional...did every thing he was asked to do based on his projected role.
The day they sent him down his carrer was over.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Would it have mattered if it had happened while playing in the NHL instead of a conditioning stint in the AHL?

Mentally, it could have been easier to attempt a comeback after having won an NHL job.
Physically, I'm not sure Big Sam will ever be the same again. Multiple ACL injuries to the same knee are a real show stopper. Skating will never be his strong suit again.

Hope he can stay positive and still make a living in Sports, one way or the other....

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Ah well... I had big hopes he would use this last (in my opinion) chance with the Flyers well.. but kid has horrible luck. I really, really wish he succeeds somewhere soon though

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
poor guy. He must be so devastated. Hope he can have a career anywhere in the world playing hockey.

Guess this solves the issue of when he was supposed to go back with the team and having 8 d. Myers ain't going no where now and hagg is the 7th d for the rest of the season.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I had high hopes for big sam. I thought he deserved to make the team a few years back and injuries have since derailed him. Having blown both the acl and mcl in the same knea im pretty certain his nhl aspirations are done. Hopefully he can enjoy a regular pain free life.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Really feel bad for the kid.

Just wanted him to get a shot since berube. Still remember berube wanted to keep him before he finished juniors cause he was already better than what we had on d. To think he’s only gotten nine games since then. Just shocked.

In the word of hextall no player was ever ruined but playing too much ahl.... oh wait.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ACL is a fairly rare injury in hockey all things considered. Gut wrenching for him to have it happen again so soon, and to the same knee. He should explore his medical options because that also shouldn’t happen.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Probably some mechanical defect in the knee, I mean blow out the same knee twice in hockey? (now in football, that's a different matter).
At least he got his 3 year contract with guaranteed money, worst comes to worse, he should walk away from hockey with a million in the bank and start "real life" at age 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad