Injury Report: Sam Morin update, Nov. 24, 2020 (Torn ACL, right knee surgery Nov. 22, 2019)

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
If I see Van Helsing I swear to the Lord I will slay him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Very good movie. Whoever made the trailer & TV ads should be shot. Completely missed the point that it’s a subtle, smart movie & instead portrayed it as dumb slapstick. I almost never watched it because it looked so bad in advertisements. Was shocked at how good it is when I ultimately did see it. One of those movies if I come across on TV the channel ain’t changin’.

Hm. “The channel ain’t changin’.” Think I’m gonna have to write me a country song now.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’m not a fan of Russell Brand’s standup, but he kills it in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Pitch perfect.

Jonah Hill is great in his small role.

Segel also perfect. Love that he wears a Norman’s Rare Guitars t-shirt in a scene as an homage to Spinal Tap. I have two, myself, but I had never seen anyone else wear one until that movie.

Bill Hader is always great.

Mila Kunis & Kristen Bell look great & act their parts superbly.

Just a well done movie overall on all fronts. Pretty much the rare perfect movie for what it sets out to be, & I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t seen it.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
After two ACL surgeries, Samuel Morin is ‘thankful’ and ‘lucky’ to have another chance with the Flyers | Sam Carchidi

“When camp starts, I have to be ready to go,” he said. “I still have some work to do, but the knee feels good. That’s the important part.”

The NHL hopes to start training camps in mid-December and the season on Jan. 1. Morin has virtually no chance to make the team because of his inactivity the last three years, so he figures to play with the Phantoms if he clears waivers – with his injured past and his age, it’s unlikely he would be claimed – to get his game back in order.

“He’s probably going to have to go in the American League and get 50, 60 games staying healthy under his belt,” Flyers coach Alain Vigneault said recently. “He’s got to get a chance to play.”

Three years ago, Morin, then 22, had a great training camp and nearly earned an opening-day spot with the Flyers.

“Am I the same as I was when I was so close to making it and I was playing really well? No, I’m not. It would be a lie to say that,”​

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Flyers defenseman Sam Morin has fully recovered from his second ACL surgery.

The 25-year-old has been limited to just 11 games combined over the past two seasons with Philadelphia and AHL Lehigh Valley and as a result, head coach Alain Vigneault believes that Morin will have to at least start next season with the Phantoms (assuming he clears waivers). He’s entering the final year of his contract and will have a lot of work to do to prove himself worth of a qualifying offer next offseason.

Reactions: BiggE

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Flyers defenseman Sam Morin has fully recovered from his second ACL surgery.

The 25-year-old has been limited to just 11 games combined over the past two seasons with Philadelphia and AHL Lehigh Valley and as a result, head coach Alain Vigneault believes that Morin will have to at least start next season with the Phantoms (assuming he clears waivers). He’s entering the final year of his contract and will have a lot of work to do to prove himself worth of a qualifying offer next offseason.
If he comes into camp healthy and shows that he can play again up to the level that he had pre-injuries, the Flyers would be silly to expose him to waivers. They'll lose him. Better to send someone else packing and keep Sam as the seventh guy.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
If he comes into camp healthy and shows that he can play again up to the level that he had pre-injuries, the Flyers would be silly to expose him to waivers. They'll lose him. Better to send someone else packing and keep Sam as the seventh guy.

If a team claims him they have to keep him on the NHL roster right? That’s a big risk for a guy that hasn’t played in 2 years. It really would suck to lose him for nothing after all the rehab though. Especially if he puts it all together

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
If a team claims him they have to keep him on the NHL roster right? That’s a big risk for a guy that hasn’t played in 2 years. It really would suck to lose him for nothing after all the rehab though. Especially if he puts it all together

A team like Detroit should take a chance on him. But this is the NHL so they probably don't.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
A team like Detroit should take a chance on him. But this is the NHL so they probably don't.
Detroit already has a full defensive roster and they also have many defensive prospects fighting for a spot on Detroit’s roster.

I doubt Yzerman would want to pickup a defenseman that blocks their own prospects from making their roster when it’s unknown if Morin can return to his form before his knee injuries.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morin is signed for two more years, so you're not just stuck with him this year but next year as well, so you'd better be sure he's a NHL caliber defenseman or you just added an expensive AHL player.

Reactions: AnimalFear

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Detroit already has a full defensive roster and they also have many defensive prospects fighting for a spot on Detroit’s roster.

I doubt Yzerman would want to pickup a defenseman that blocks their own prospects from making their roster when it’s unknown if Morin can return to his form before his knee injuries.

I doubt he does either, but if my options are to take a flyer on Morin or carry one of

33 yo Alex Biega
31 yo Sam Gagner
36 yo Valtteri Filppula
33 yo Darren Helm
36 yo Frans Nielsen

I'm trying to move one of those guys for scraps and carrying the 25 year old dark horse defensemen who has shown flashes of potential. That is the sort of move I would make if there is almost no chance my team is competitive this year in any real sense, and even if they are it will be almost entirely on the backs of my young players. It's the sort of boom or bust move that should be done more I think but teams that are almost certainly out of contention rarely position themselves that way. I think it would be good management for bottomed out rebuilding teams to go into the season effectively leaving a roster space empty just to see what shakes out of the tree come roster trim down time.

And in the end the point isn't being made about Detroit specifically, I meant it in the general sense for a team that has nothing to really lose by taking a chance on a player like Morin. Detroit was just a name I pulled because I don't think they will be competitive at all this year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Even if Morin is 100%, I don't think anyone sees him as more as a 3rd pair D-man, so you're not going to make major moves to add him to your roster and hope that he's a NHL player. As we saw with NAK last year, by the end of camp, when teams have their roster set, they're not inclined to claim 4th line/3rd pair prospects who are unproven.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Even if Morin is 100%, I don't think anyone sees him as more as a 3rd pair D-man, so you're not going to make major moves to add him to your roster and hope that he's a NHL player. As we saw with NAK last year, by the end of camp, when teams have their roster set, they're not inclined to claim 4th line/3rd pair prospects who are unproven.

I'm sure you're right. Again not what I am saying. I think it would be a good practice to keep a single roster spot clear to take a chance on somebody of Morin's ilk (not necessarily him specifically) as there is potential to find a useful player there during a season where you almost certainly have nothing to play for other then development.

NAK is a great example, Detroit or Ottawa could have taken a chance on him in a year that they were trash anyways, if it doesn't work out in the first handful of months you send him back through waivers and he is either reclaimed or gone in a few years. Instead they choose to pay more money to players that are past their prime and have no long term role within the organization.

Are you asserting it is a better use of a roster spot to carry a 33+ year old player that hasn't had a positive impact in a few years on a team that likely wont be competitive for 3-5 years?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think even rebuilding teams want a certain critical mass of veterans to avoid the "blind leading the blind" syndrome where raw kids have no one on the ice to provide guidance, it's hard to coach a player 200 feet away from the bench. So by the end of training camp they've decided on their mix of veterans and kids that they feel is optimal. They might disrupt this for a high upside player, but odds are they have their share of marginal prospects that they want to bring up during the year and don't see the need to add another.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad