Sam Girard

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Well, for starters, they can't streak too far because otherwise they'd be off-sides. The drop-pass thing is intended to disrupt the opposition's PK structure, it allows for MacKinnon (or Compher) to make a zone entry at full speed. I can't say I think it's the most effective way to do things but it's worked for the most part since they almost always gain the zone. I hope you're not advocating they go back to whatever the hell they did when Army ran things.

The problem isn't the zone-entry method, it's the fact that the top unit stands still too much and they're forcing things, and Rantanen is just refusing to shoot it (Landy's been pretty awful on the half-wall as well). The 2nd unit has been far more effective because they're generating way more traffic in front and just plain shooting it more.

I believe a puck mover would carry or direct into the offensive zone. Girard, EJ and Zadorov would carry or push forward the puck.

Barrie always drops the puck backwards to a forward. I really don’t understand the rationale if Barrie is a QB, shouldn’t he be carrying or directing the puck?

You can’t even suggest this is a team strategy since only Barrie regularly drops the puck backwards. If poorly executed, it had led to breakaways by the other team.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I believe a puck mover would carry or direct into the offensive zone. Girard, EJ and Zadorov would carry or push forward the puck.

Barrie always drops the puck backwards to a forward. I really don’t understand the rationale if Barrie is a QB, shouldn’t he be carrying or directing the puck?

You can’t even suggest this is a team strategy since only Barrie regularly drops the puck backwards. If poorly executed, it had led to breakaways by the other team.

Who cares. We get it you don’t like Barrie. The PP last year was very good let’s not mess with it until it becomes a real issue. Jesus Christ

Reactions: Barklez and 5280

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

You are friggin' blind if you think only Barrie does that. Girard does it on the 2nd unit as well, usually to a guy like Compher. It is absolutely a team strategy. You seriously think Barrie's just going rogue out there or something? He's doing exactly what Ray Bennett and the coaching staff are telling him to do.

They don't just skate it up the ice because the opposition just tries to set up a wall then, which would force them to dump it, which is what used to happen all the time when Army ran things and guys like EJ tried to QB the power play. They don't want to do that, so they utilize their best skater, MacKinnon, to gain the zone since he's so fast the opposition immediately starts backing up, opening a gap. They wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't work, and it is.

Again, gaining the zone isn't the issue with the power play so I don't know why you're focusing on that. It's what they do with the puck once they've set up in the attacking zone. The top unit is trying too hard to just snipe it, which actually worked last season because MacKinnon couldn't miss. He's come back to earth a bit in terms of shooting % and the opposition, especially the goalies, are ready for it. They're also geared up for Barrie's point shot as well. That's why I'm a little frustrated with Rantanen, Landeskog, and Jost. Landy's been fighting the puck a lot to start the year and keeps turning it over, Rants just won't shoot it and keeps deferring to MacKinnon, and Jost isn't generating enough traffic in front and getting to rebounds. The 2nd unit is doing way better in terms of generating scoring chances.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't like how predictable the drop pass is. Sometimes they get too lazy with it and leave too big of a gap that teams can take advantage of. But there is no doubt that it gets a successful zone entry more than 90% of the time for that top unit. That's far from the problem with the top PP unit. It's like they forgot all the schemes that worked so well last year. IMO, they need to make Barrie the trigger man and just hope he keeps getting shots through for Landy and Jost to clean up, because the cross ice MacK to Rants highway isn't working.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
In the Avs defence...we've faced 2 hot goaltenders. Dubnyk always causes problems, and Elliot stood on his head. We've put up 9 goals in 2 games despite that. If the PP is still useless after game 5, then we can start worrying about changing the strategy of a PP that was 8th in the league least season lol

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I don't like how predictable the drop pass is. Sometimes they get too lazy with it and leave too big of a gap that teams can take advantage of. But there is no doubt that it gets a successful zone entry more than 90% of the time for that top unit. That's far from the problem with the top PP unit. It's like they forgot all the schemes that worked so well last year. IMO, they need to make Barrie the trigger man and just hope he keeps getting shots through for Landy and Jost to clean up, because the cross ice MacK to Rants highway isn't working.
Yup. Teams have taken that away, surprised it took them this long to key in on it. But they'll find a way around it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yup. Teams have taken that away, surprised it took them this long to key in on it. But they'll find a way around it.
I think they can just shorten up the distance the drop pass goes back to reduce the danger. MacK starts too low in the far zone and it hangs there too long sometimes. If he picks it up sooner, that will make it harder for a quick PKer to pick it off. It's not like Nate needs the extra space to get up to full speed. He and Barrie just need tighter coordination on it, they look lackadaisical at times.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I agree but only with the first unit PP. The second unit PP has looked really good.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I actually don’t really want anyone from the 2nd PP unit to get promoted in landys place because they’ve been really good. Maybe just roll Girard on both PP’s or something. Idk.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I agree but only with the first unit PP. The second unit PP has looked really good.
Agreed, I feel like they're a lot looser and operating just on chemistry and opportunity. It's working so far, hopefully when they go cold the top unit will get hot.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah I actually don’t really want anyone from the 2nd PP unit to get promoted in landys place because they’ve been really good. Maybe just roll Girard on both PP’s or something. Idk.

No, you still need someone down low along the boards, and you don't want MacKinnon or Rantanen in that spot, and Jost needs to stay as the "rover." They'll probably promote Soderberg and then do 2D on the 2nd unit I guess. They could also try Kamenev in that spot down low.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
In the Avs defence...we've faced 2 hot goaltenders. Dubnyk always causes problems, and Elliot stood on his head. We've put up 9 goals in 2 games despite that. If the PP is still useless after game 5, then we can start worrying about changing the strategy of a PP that was 8th in the league least season lol

You didn't watch our games against the Wild last year, did you? :sarcasm:

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
No, you still need someone down low along the boards, and you don't want MacKinnon or Rantanen in that spot, and Jost needs to stay as the "rover." They'll probably promote Soderberg and then do 2D on the 2nd unit I guess. They could also try Kamenev in that spot down low.
Kamenev may draw in on the second unit, but Soderberg has earned the promotion to the top spot. Plus, his first season with us he did great as a setup man on the PP parked just below the goal line in Crosby's office. If Landy is out, I'd really like to see Soda there for a game or two to see if he can kickstart some action there.

Reactions: Pokecheque

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

You can't seriously think that the drop pass from Barrie is his decision, right? You think its a coincidence that mackinnon in always positioned in direct line of the drop pass while everyone else waits at the blue line? Either you are really stretching the truth looking for something to blame on Barrie or your understanding of the game isn't very high.

It would be like criticizing Jost because you don't like the line he's on or that he's on the first PP unit. These are all things out of the players control.

I dont think Barrie has looked great the first two games but criticizing him for the PP drop pass is ridiculous.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I really like the drop pass play on the PP to get into the zone. It's pretty smart.

What I find ineffective is the point man on the PP not moving, and it happens far to often. The point man needs to make use of that open ice and walk the line while his one-timer options on the far right and left move with him. Nothing kills a powerplay like being stationary.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
There's no doubt the drop pass is very effective as a zone entry strategy, but it does come with some exploitable drawbacks if you go to it too often. I'd like to see Barrie try to carry it in once in a while just to keep them honest, puck rushing isn't exactly one of his weaknesses.

Reactions: Patagonia

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
The drop pass on the PP is clearly intentional and works so often because trying to defend it is not worth the risk of the opening it creates. Especially with the man advantage. I imagine we do it so often because other team's PK basically let us have it and try to cover the other options instead

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Excellent start to the season.

I would be ecstatic if this becomes his regular baseline of play and that he can continue to get better and better.

As for drop pass discussion, I’d say 75%+ of the teams do this. And it’s done because it works. It’s an effective strategy of gaining th zone WITH possession.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
While I'm still not on board with the whole PP QB debate, I will say that Sammy's vision and ability to complete passes through traffic is some of the best I've ever seen in an Avs player.

He is in many ways the player we all kinda wished Kyle Cumiskey would've been. He could move that fast, but just couldn't think the game that fast.

Reactions: expatriated_texan

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Love watching this kid play. I've been wanting a dman like this on our team for what seems like forever. Do you guys see him turning into a top pairing dman? I know he's basically a top 2 d for us so far this season but in a long term sense.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Love watching this kid play. I've been wanting a dman like this on our team for what seems like forever. Do you guys see him turning into a top pairing dman? I know he's basically a top 2 d for us so far this season but in a long term sense.

If he plays anywhere close to how good he’s played for the last 2 games on a consistent basis then absolutely.

I thought his ceiling was a #3. But god I have no clue what his ceiling is anymore.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

He's already the top guy in terms of ice time. But...yes, I think the potential is absolutely there.

Reactions: vicprestige

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

IMO his ceiling is elite #2. He will never be a work horse like those bigger guys who can easily log close to 25 min for 82 games. Ideally I'd not push Girard too much over 20 minutes per game. What we have to keep in mind is Girard needs to spend more energy than bigger players when he's playing the body or just trying not to get hit. This is tiring on the long run.

However, the good news is the chance of him reaching his ceiling appears to be pretty good at the moment.

I think him playing next to a big guy like EJ is ideal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad