Sam Girard

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
The point I was trying to make was that I do not see any room for Timmins next year, unless he dominates in the AHL which I very much doubt. After years of misery the Avs are finally icing teams with a strong defense and it is going to be hard for rookie D to make the big club.
Thanks God for that. Avs D is average to above average. Thank the hockey gods!!

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If Timmins plays a solid season in Loveland I think Nemeth will be gone. Barbs will continue to be the 7th dman. Makar may play a full season in Loveland next season. We're in a position where there's no need to rush these guys.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
The point I was trying to make was that I do not see any room for Timmins next year, unless he dominates in the AHL which I very much doubt. After years of misery the Avs are finally icing teams with a strong defense and it is going to be hard for rookie D to make the big club.

It's rare for defensemen to have everything figured out at a young age. Girard is special, not the model for all future D-man development. Leaving Timmins in the AHL until his play forces the Avs to make room is the safer course.

(Now that I reread what you wrote I'm pretty sure we agree)

Same goes for Makar and the expectation that he won't need AHL time.

Reactions: klozge

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Just my humble opinion but I think it's a little early to say Sam "has it all figured out". Dont get me wrong, I love Sammy and I think he will be really good but it's only been 4 games. From the small sample size this season he looks amazing but let's give him at least a month before we nominate him for the HoF. Just saying

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I think teams are starting to catch on to him---which is fine. Buffalo and Columbus seemed to immediately rush at him as soon as he had the puck, and he still made fantastic plays. They did force a few give aways though.

Also I'd like to say that his passing is top 3 on the team. He doesn't telegraph his passes at all. They are lightning fast and very accurate. I would not be surprised to see him break 40 points this year. Maybe even 50.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
I think teams are starting to catch on to him---which is fine. Buffalo and Columbus seemed to immediately rush at him as soon as he had the puck, and he still made fantastic plays. They did force a few give aways though.

Also I'd like to say that his passing is top 3 on the team. He doesn't telegraph his passes at all. They are lightning fast and very accurate. I would not be surprised to see him break 40 points this year. Maybe even 50.

If he could fix that muffin of a shot kid would easily be a 50-60 point D man.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
It's rare for defensemen to have everything figured out at a young age. Girard is special, not the model for all future D-man development. Leaving Timmins in the AHL until his play forces the Avs to make room is the safer course.

(Now that I reread what you wrote I'm pretty sure we agree)

Same goes for Makar and the expectation that he won't need AHL time.
Nah , not saying he will have it all figured out but if he signed he'd be here now . Going back to school is his prep for the NHL and he'll possibly sign at the end of the college season

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
If he could fix that muffin of a shot kid would easily be a 50-60 point D man.
Yah, if the goalie can see his shot, it's getting stopped every time lol it's weak. I think he's looking for redirects, and always looking for the pass. He might just not be a shooting option from the point. I could see him trying to get down low and get a shot off though. He has the hands for it.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Yah, if the goalie can see his shot, it's getting stopped every time lol it's weak. I think he's looking for redirects, and always looking for the pass. He might just not be a shooting option from the point. I could see him trying to get down low and get a shot off though. He has the hands for it.

Jost is our 2nd best hands on this team and can shoot the puck too.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

I think he is undisputed best passer on the team

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Jost is our 2nd best hands on this team and can shoot the puck too.
Jost is having a rough start. He definitely has the skill. He isn't second best in any category. Actually he is the second best player named Tyson.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I have found 20 year old Tyson Jost to be a very smart, complete, two-way player so far to start the season.

Looks stronger, a bit quicker, and his reading of the game is just so good. Rarely out of position, high level of pursuit and coverage ability, very complete.

The offense will come, I have no concerns about that. I’m super encouraged by a young player showing such two-way skill at a center position, that’s very promising.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont see it with Jost.

Really haven't been impressed with him much at all this year. Outside of his board play which has been good, I haven't really liked his game anywhere else.

His biggest thing to me is his skating. It's still noticeably slow and unless he can get that going I dont think he'll be good enough offensively to be a Top 6 Center.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I have found 20 year old Tyson Jost to be a very smart, complete, two-way player so far to start the season.

Looks stronger, a bit quicker, and his reading of the game is just so good. Rarely out of position, high level of pursuit and coverage ability, very complete.

The offense will come, I have no concerns about that. I’m super encouraged by a young player showing such two-way skill at a center position, that’s very promising.
He's been ok. He's solid on the boards, and is a smart player, but he hasn't been a threat offensively, which is exactly what Colorado needs.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
He's been ok. He's solid on the boards, and is a smart player, but he hasn't been a threat offensively, which is exactly what Colorado needs.
I agree although I'm quite high on Jost, especially this season. He plays too much of a support role for Kerfoot and Wilson right now. This he does well but it slowly becomes time for him to be the main scorer on his line.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I agree although I'm quite high on Jost, especially this season. He plays too much of a support role for Kerfoot and Wilson right now. This he does well but it slowly becomes time for him to be the main scorer on his line.

I guess I don’t see that as much of a problem. What you define as support, I define as a catalyst.

Their line has 5 goals through the first 4 games. Jost is doing what he needs for the line to succeed.

Kerfoot is never going to be the guy helping out defensively. He’s floating outside the blue line most of the time, as evidenced by Barrie’s breakaway pass to him last game. He has 5 points through the first 4 games, having a great offensive start and benefiting from TJ’s work on the other side of the ice.

Wilson is being relied upon to score goals in a secondary role this year. He has 3 already, again being freed up to move closer to the net because of the work Jost is doing along the boards. We notice Wilson around the crease a lot more, in the past he’s been needed in corners, doing board work, and digging pucks. Jost is doing that on both sides of the ice.

Again, I’m seeing a 20 year old delivering very good two-way hockey at *center* and allowing his line to deliver, which is what they have been doing. The points will come, it’s only logical if he keeps doing so many things right.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, Girard's game is not flawless, of course it isn't, and it probably never will be. He'll never be the "safest" player on the team. There will be occasional giveaways and defensive-zone turnovers. But I am still astounded that they are indeed targeting him and there hasn't been a noticeable drop in his ability to make plays.

He's still got a ways to go before IMO he's at his peak. Dude's only 20, right? And he's already this good.

I was listening to Boomer Gordon on NHL Radio while he was doing his fantasy hockey segment and he was flabbergasted that no one really wanted him on their team, there was just zero demand, so he promptly snatched him right up. I imagine that won't be the case soon.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah, Girard's game is not flawless, of course it isn't, and it probably never will be. He'll never be the "safest" player on the team. There will be occasional giveaways and defensive-zone turnovers. But I am still astounded that they are indeed targeting him and there hasn't been a noticeable drop in his ability to make plays.

He's still got a ways to go before IMO he's at his peak. Dude's only 20, right? And he's already this good.

I was listening to Boomer Gordon on NHL Radio while he was doing his fantasy hockey segment and he was flabbergasted that no one really wanted him on their team, there was just zero demand, so he promptly snatched him right up. I imagine that won't be the case soon.
Probably because he doesn't shoot, block, or hit a lot. Those things add in in pools. And he isn't a point machine, so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad