Player Discussion Sam Gagner

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Signing Gagner to help the pp was worth a shot....on a one-year contract.....but three years?....said it before, that contract should be firing offense for somebody in the Canucks front office.

OK I'll move this to the correct thread (apologies for derailing the Jake thread). What would have made this signing a success in your (or anybody else's) opinion? The almost pathological hatred for this player puzzles me.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I was initially ok with the Gagner signing, contract and all. Could have been good offensive depth who could share his experience being one of those young players who once had a franchise put on his shoulders.

But my god, he is such a bad even strength player. Worse than I remembered, and you can't even look at his year end improvement to find hope because the Sedins are gone. Depending on how the kids do next season I think Sam might be enjoying press box popcorn soon.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
OK I'll move this to the correct thread (apologies for derailing the Jake thread). What would have made this signing a success in your (or anybody else's) opinion? The almost pathological hatred for this player puzzles me.

1 yr deal, traded for a 3rd round pick at the TDL.

I could have stomached that.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Doubt that anyone would do that seeing as nobody offered anything like that for Vanek who was a better asset...

True, he’s definitely not worth much is he? But that’s probably why I wouldn’t have signed him in the first place.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Where do you get the idea that this is 'hate' for player? Kudos to Gagner and his agent for parlaying half a season of pp success in Columbus into a three-year contract with the Canucks at $3m per.

My wrath is reserved for doofuses in the Canucks hockey ops department who actually believed his signing was a good idea...and if that person was Benning, be very afraid of what else he might do on July 1st this time around.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For a fun game, look at the 41-game season that Linden Vey had in 15-16 that killed his NHL career and basically sent him to the KHL, double his numbers to 82 GP, and then compare it to Sam Gagner's season this year.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Doubt that anyone would do that seeing as nobody offered anything like that for Vanek who was a better asset...

Why do you have such a pathological hatred for Sam Gagner that you would say that he's worth less than a cap dump and Motte?

Is it because Kassian hit him in the head once? I bet it is.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Why do you have such a pathological hatred for Sam Gagner that you would say that he's worth less than a cap dump and Motte?

Is it because Kassian hit him in the head once? I bet it is.

Must be cause there are obviously no other reasons to not flat out love the guy.

Also every time I talk hockey with my 6 month old he mentions he hates Gagner cause of that Kassian incident so I gotta believe him.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
True, he’s definitely not worth much is he? But that’s probably why I wouldn’t have signed him in the first place.

So when Bo was out injured, would you rather have had Gaunce or Granlund playing with Boeser?

Gagner isn't a good hockey player, and he's not someone a contender has on their roster. But for a team bouncing off the rock bottom that isn't going to be an attractive destination for any veteran with actual skill, at least Gagner brought some offensive ability. It's a bad contract and he's a bad player, but considering the situation we are in, at least he has some vision and can complete a pass.

I'm not a fan of Gagner and won't miss him when he's gone, but I really have no issue with Benning overspending to attract any skill he can get until our youngsters can make Vancouver an attractive place to play again for UFAs. Or just let Boeser play with Gaunce, at least he's cheap.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So when Bo was out injured, would you rather have had Gaunce or Granlund playing with Boeser?

Gagner isn't a good hockey player, and he's not someone a contender has on their roster. But for a team bouncing off the rock bottom that isn't going to be an attractive destination for any veteran with actual skill, at least Gagner brought some offensive ability. It's a bad contract and he's a bad player, but considering the situation we are in, at least he has some vision and can complete a pass.

I'm not a fan of Gagner and won't miss him when he's gone, but I really have no issue with Benning overspending to attract any skill he can get until our youngsters can make Vancouver an attractive place to play again for UFAs. Or just let Boeser play with Gaunce, at least he's cheap.

Granlund or Gagner, I don’t see much of a difference tbh. I don’t really like either player but I don’t think Boeser “benefited” from playing with Gagner over someone like Granlund.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

If you were talking about Vanek, I'd agree.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
For a fun game, look at the 41-game season that Linden Vey had in 15-16 that killed his NHL career and basically sent him to the KHL, double his numbers to 82 GP, and then compare it to Sam Gagner's season this year.

I'm in the minority, but always thought Linden Vey was an NHL player. Just not the one people wanted him to be.

Your comparison here is spot on. It's just, Gagner kind of has a "journeyman" vibe to him now and people didn't really expect him to be good, while Vey was a shiny young kid who Benning (foolishly) traded a 2nd to acquire.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Granlund or Gagner, I don’t see much of a difference tbh. I don’t really like either player but I don’t think Boeser “benefited” from playing with Gagner over someone like Granlund.
Frankly, I don't see any comparison between Granlund and Gagner....Granlund kills penalties, can play center in a pinch, and is far better defensively. Five-on-five, Gagner is just a black hole defensively....and when he goes through a goal-less stretch of 25 games like he did this season, he becomes a huge liability in a hurry. Wasn't even all that good on the pp, which is supposedly the reason Benning signed him in the first place. Just an awful signing by the Canucks....but they're stuck with his contract, so all you can hope for is that he bounces back next season with sheltered minutes.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Frankly, I don't see any comparison between Granlund and Gagner....Granlund kills penalties, can play center in a pinch, and is far better defensively. Five-on-five, Gagner is just a black hole defensively....and when he goes through a goal-less stretch of 25 games like he did this season, he becomes a huge liability in a hurry. Wasn't even all that good on the pp, which is supposedly the reason Benning signed him in the first place. Just an awful signing by the Canucks....but they're stuck with his contract, so all you can hope for is that he bounces back next season with sheltered minutes.

Well you’re describing Granlund’s value to the coach, I was describing his value as a linemate to Boeser. 6 of one, half dozen of the other imo. Granlund does effort a bit more I guess.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Just a terrible player who will get a roster spot by default based on his contract. Eriksson and Sutter are both overpaid, but at least both are effective two way players who can help insulate the young players on the roster.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
If Benning extension is actually 2 years then he and Gagner will be gone at the same time... there will still be 2 years left on the Eriksson contract and just 1 year left on Sutter conttact. Pretty exciting but kind off worried that we will be saddened with another one of these for longer term during this off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad